Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-11-2001, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

need new shocks

My truck needs new shocks and I am having trouble deciding if it is worth the extra money to step up from Gabriels or Monroes to Rancho, KYB, or Bilstein. Most of the premium brands are at least twice the money. I just use it for on road trailer towing. No plowing or off-roading.

Thanks for the input.:blob3:
Old 06-12-2001, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are not operating on rough roads or with heavy loads, standard shocks(oil filled) should be ok. Rancho and others are gas(nitrogen) filled and have better performance under varing conditions. I use Doestech shocks which are comparible to Ranchos, however my truck is a 4X4 with stiff suspension for playing in the desert. Rancho also make a shock which has varible settings for different load conditions, however they are more expensive.
City of San Diego

We enrich lives through quality parks and programs.
Old 06-12-2001, 12:37 PM

I bought the edelbrock multivalved shocks last time around on my ram1500. Very Expensive ($75 each) but worth it (but a lifetime warranty....not just against leaking, prorated of course). I only drive on the road, but these have smoothed the ride beyond my expectations. I have used Rancho before ($35 each) and they were no better than stock.

jeffyr
Old 06-30-2001, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Shoks

Just replaced the long overdew shocks on my F150. Easy job I had thought untill I had to use a can of DW40, a box wrench and a very old wrench. Turns out the bolts wernt quite metric or standard. Top bolts no biggie, lower bolt every turn was with a sledge hammer becasue it was so rusted. Other Side nuts easy off, shock wouldnt come off, ended up blowing up all over me that stuff smells like 5 yr old dead fish. Lower bolt wouldnt come off for any thing, ended up having to hacksaw it upside-down. the metal part of the shock somehow welded it self to the bolt. Install took 5min. Couldnt torch it as I relized the rear gas tank has a small drip leak init after I just put 20gal init & didnt want to blow myself, truck, house up.
Installed $60 spring assist shocks and thay are great. NO more botteming out with a yd. of soil. and rides great. Of cource the $11 shocks sould have been an improvement.
Now I kinda wish I would took it in and saved the hrs. doing it myself.
Old 07-10-2001, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A few years back one of the "Off Road" truck magazines did a survey and found the Rancho 5000's received the most recommendations from their readers (along with BF Goodrich Radial All Terrain tires).

I tried both products on my last truck and I can say they were fantastic. I will run them on my new truck when it comes time.

Mark
Old 07-27-2001, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Shocks shocks shocks,,,

I have replaced more shocks then I care to admit. Way too many... anyway... I now run Skyjacker Hydros in my trucks.. they have a lifetime warranty. and definatly are a big improvement over stock. My F250 Super Duty has 3 on each side in the front and just one at each of the rear corners. I am probably going to put duals at the rears eventually. It has helped having extras up front when towing or carrying a heavy load which is everyday. The shocks are only like $30.00 each . I had two blow out on me and sent them back and they gave me my money back so I could replace them .. Works for me.. P.S. WHEN YOU INSTALL NEW SHOCKS , COAT THE THREADS AND THE BOLTS WITH NEVER SEIZE COMPOUND AND IN 10 YEARS WHEN YOU REPLACE THEM AGAIN YOU WONT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS FIGHTING WITH RUST!!!!!
Old 07-27-2001, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rusted.

Reason that it was a problem for me is that thay were the origional shocks and the truck is a 92. This is buffalo so the salt eats away at everything unless washed constantly in winter.
Old 08-24-2001, 04:55 AM
LawnSite Member

If bottoming out or excessive suspension travel is a problem than replacing the OEM springs with aftermarket higher rate springs would give you better results.
Technically the springs carry the load and the shocks control spring rebound.
If you have a vehicle that is used loaded and unloaded try a dual rate spring.
Oh and one more thing to the guy with the coul over springs. Keep an eye on your shock mounts. In a lot of trucks, they were not designed to carry the weight of the vehicle or the stress of the spring on the coil over shocks.
The sound of a shock coming through the bed or shock tower is enough to send you to the bathroom,... not to use it, to clean up!!