Register free!

Old 01-26-2007, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I am not too shocked at those prices. But several of them do seem a little high to me. Particularly the "existing wall demolition" price. I am also confused about some of the other items. Like what does, "General Site Work" mean? Perhaps that's the geogrid and compaction work that needs to be done behind the wall? I don't know.

And "Site Repair" for $4500? Wow. Is that because he's going to tear up your yard so badly that he needs to do $4500 worth of repair after he does? That seems high as well. I mean, what's to replace? The iron fence? A small lawn? That doesn't seem to add up to $4500 at first glance anyway.

The "Professional Fees" I have to assume is his price to hire an engineer to design and inspect the wall and soil structure. That's not too awfully high. The engineer we use would charge about $2000 or so for that job. So maybe he marked that up a little or maybe that's what his engineer charges.

Regardless, it seems like several of those line items are a little on the high side. But then again, you get what you pay for.

Still, you are right to continue looking for a real engineer before you decide what to do here.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 01-27-2007, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman99 View Post
Hi guys,

Needless to say, I was a little surprised with how high his estimate was and I'll be again looking for a licensed engineer.

Thanks!
Great thread you got started here Jayman. It is an interesting problem and does require some experienced engineering.

It is difficult to comment on the estimates you received, perhaps you could post some more photos or measurements, from the one photo I cannot tell the length of the wall.