Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-18-2000, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I'm in a bit of a jam now. I'm need equipment badly 'cuz I just wrapped up three jobs this week! My borrowed Toro is running and hope to make it till next year. I'll probably buy a mower then. I need a backpack blower though. The only problem is my parents won't listen to me when I tell them I need certain things to run my biz properly. My dad's all "save for college, put all your hard earned money in the bank and never see it again...that is until college rolls around." How am I supposed to run a biz without the right stuff? How do I convince them? Heck, I don't even have a mower-how bad is that! Anyway, I think I've got my mom thinkin' right. She helps with most of my jobs, drives me around, and moves stuff out of my way when I'm mowing so we can load up and get out quick (so as not to get with those Chatty Kathy customers). So, here is my dilema. I can't choose between Echo and Stihl. I don't have a Redmax dealer (wish I did) but I do have a Stihl and Echo dealer. Which do you recommend? Why doesn't Honda make a blower? Love the idea of not having to mix gas/oil. P.S.-any ideas how to convince my parents that saving all your money isn't that great are appreciated.
Old 07-18-2000, 04:59 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Buy a $150 hand blower.
Old 07-18-2000, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scag,<br>Check the news paper in your area they might have a listing of used equiptment in your area. I know in New Jersey you can pick up a used back pack blower for about $75-$150.<br>New ones run about $400 on up. It will be easier to talk them into $150. After a bit you can buy a new one on your own.<br>Just a thought!!! Good luck Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance
Old 07-18-2000, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag48,<br> If you are just starting out and only have a few accounts,Ask pop to take you to home depot or sears to charge you a mower and blower,make the small monthly payment to him.<br>just an idea.sounds like you could get by now with the non commercial toyz,upgrade when business picks up. Nick<br>P.S. I wish my mom would move all the chairs and picknik tables for me,you are lucky!!
Old 07-18-2000, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy a pushblower. Not only do you not have to mix oil but it is much much more powerful than a backpack blower. In a newspaper classified you should be able to pick one up for 200-250 bucks. And come leaf removal time backpack blowers are virtually useless, whereas push blowers 5HP and up are perfect. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 07-18-2000, 07:23 PM
snow

scag48-do you keep all the money you make or do you only get a part of it? Here is how my money is split up, 1/3-me, 1/3-truck mutual fund, 1/3-checking(equipment fund). If you don't have enough do go new, get used. i got a stihl br400 used for $200. it was almost new. the previous owner used it once, but forgot to add oil to the mix. the dealer reconditioned it, and sold it to me. Don't expect your parents to buy you a leaf blower. Pay them over time. anyways, why don't you have your own mower? why do you have to borrow one?<p>Bryan<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://content.communities.msn.com/BryansEquipmentPicts&quot;&gt;Bryan's Equipment Pictures&lt;/a&gt;<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.snowplow.web.com&quot;&gt;The Snowplow Homepage&lt;/a&gt;
Old 07-18-2000, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

SCAG<br>Show mom and dad some of these posts on equip. and what it takes to run a buss.<br>My guess is they aren't taking you serious enough.<br>Parents may be like banker, show them some future for there (your) investment.
Old 07-18-2000, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Snow- I haven't got very much of the money I've made so far. Most of it has been going to the bank. I don't have enough money to buy a mower otherwise I would. Barkley,AGG- I live in a tiny town, there are only 5 lawn care companies out there, including myself. If any of the companies were to sell one, it would be completely worn out, knowing the guys that run them. I don't think there would be any homeowners with a blower that I wanted. Northeast-Hate to tell you but I am anti-cheap mowers. Sorry, just too many bad experiences with Sears and others. I'm growing now, with 2 months left to go in the season, I just picked up a couple jobs this week so I need something that is gonna give me the best bang for the buck, something that will last a long time-don't want to have to buy another mower after buying one at HD or something-not worth it. Thanks for all responses everyone, greatly appreciated.
Old 07-18-2000, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My first blower,and still only backpack is a craftsman.My wife bought it at sears,it was returned and sold for 159 dollars,it is a rebadged Solo,which is sold in Northen tool for 379 and at sears for 379.It is only 18lbs,54 cc and 4.7hp.My friend ahs a 62 cc redmax and his isnt a whole lot stronger than mine.Look at sears,I check all the time and at home dept too,they get returns and sell them cheap sometimes,good luck .<p>----------<br>John D<br>
Old 07-18-2000, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

tell your mom and dad without a mower there is no colege money