Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-13-2006, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

how to upsell

i was reading some post about upselling? What is the best way to upsell customers send them little flyers or letters with the invoice that show and expalian all that stuff? What is the best thing? Call thme ounce a month and suggest something? go to there house and take a walk around looking for something that needs to be done?
Old 10-13-2006, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What are you looking to upsell?
Old 10-13-2006, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

shrub trimming, mulch, weeding stuff thats easy to do but time consuming that a homeowner would rather pay for?
Old 10-13-2006, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I would include upsell items in a flyer with the invoice. Along with a thank you letter for being a valued customer.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

upselling

smarino-I include a flyer with each invoice with some "monthly specials". For example, Septembers was for mums, mulch, weeding, etc. I'm not with my maintenance crew every day, but when I have time, I will follow them and do walk throughs on every property. It's easy to find things that need doing. I either leave a note, or call in the evening. I'm not pushy about it, and I think people appreciate that you are up on things.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Me, myself, and I, we try to keep e-mails for as many clients as possible. Like that should I become aware that something needs to be done at a property I can just send out an e-mail saying "Mr. X, I noticed that the beds could use some; mulch, weeding, planting, etc. etc. would you be interested in having me do this?" I can send this out at 10:00 PM and maybe I have an answer by 8:00 the following morning saying "How much?" or "Go ahead." Maybe I never get an answer.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I find there are two ways of upselling: The blind upsell and the targeted upsell.

A blind upsell is to simply ask everybody if they would like to purchase service C with their current order, whether it fits or not. A fair example is the employee in drive-through asking everybody if they would like french fries with their order.
I dare say the chances of success on a blind upsell are around 1 in a thousand.
However, mentioning 'specials' you might have going on never hurts, but the price has to be good and you can upsell your specials anytime during most any transaction.

A targeted upsell is to ask the customer if they would like to enhance their current order by purchasing a little something extra that will help considerably and is specific to what they ordered. A fair example of a targeted upsell is when someone wants you to fertilize their lawn would be to ask if, for $20 extra you can throw down 2-3 bags of lime which will roughly double the effect of the fertilizer, so spending a little extra provides considerably more result. Say the fertilizing costs $40, it would make sense to roughly double the effect for $60, but not $80.

I find targeted upsells have the best effect and I do my best to stay away from the blind upsell, I tried it a few times but generally got either borderline dirty or odd looks, I think the best way to describe the look is 'oh come on gimme a break, not you too!?'

So, targeted upsells, and only here and there, know your customers and do it for their benefit as well as yours. If they stand nothing to gain by purchasing extra, then stay away from it, would be my advice. On that note, don't do it to 'make the yard look better,' do it to enhance a current purchase and stay within the limitations of said purchase.... For example:
If they are ordering mulch, stay away from asking to trim the bushes, even if the bushes are right where the mulch is going, it doesn't 'fit.' However, you might try and upsell a slightly better quality mulch, I find designer mulch with a 60-day no fade guarantee a fair success, thou in the end I hardly make more profit, this is one great example of an upsell that is done for the customer's benefit, so think of them first and yourself second and I think that's a great starting point you can expand on later for your own profit.
I think the chances of success on a well-placed targeted upsell are around 50-50.

Oh, if per chance they are purchasing something on which you have a special going on, I find that one works the best of them all.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by topsites; 10-15-2006 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I get them face to face and show them what needs to be done and when I have ideas about special projects that will enhance the enjoyment they derive from being out in their yard's I suggest those ideas to them.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino21
i was reading some post about upselling? What is the best way to upsell customers send them little flyers or letters with the invoice that show and expalian all that stuff? What is the best thing? Call thme ounce a month and suggest something? go to there house and take a walk around looking for something that needs to be done?
mention other services in your invoices. Start a newsletter via regular mail or email. Never hurts to ask. All they can say is no thanks.