Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-26-2006, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Be nice, but not too nice....

There is zero customer loyalty anymore because most towns are flooded with LCO's these days. Your customers may, in their hearts, feel that they would rather give you the work, but they figure, if they can save a couple hundred on the "bigger project" with another company, that will pay for a month or 2 of mowing that YOU are doing. People will pay hundreds of dollars in interest on credit cards every month without thinking about it, but god forbid they pay their LCO what he or she is worth....
I've had this same thing happen to me occasionally, and normally I don't care. However, a recent customer hired "Pedro" (not his real name but I think you get the idea), to handle MY big profit job that I had been waiting 2 months for the green light on. (Did i mention he was working out of the trunk of his Impala? ). Needless to say I was irritated, but I let it go. Here's the kicker though...they actually approached me when i was there mowing one day and said they still wanted ME to do all the cleanup and haul away everything that needed to be hauled after Pedro was through, because Pedro wouldn't be able to handle that without a truck obviously. At that point I was ready to explode, but I gained my composure and politely told them no and said, you might want to consider giving good ole pedro a raise because he is now going to need to buy a truck AND a mower because I'm done here... have a nice summer.
Life's too short man. Be nice, but not too nice.... There are plenty of other customers in the world.
Good Luck
Old 10-26-2006, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, I know he didn't ask you to clean up after Pedro and do what he couldn't handle.
Oh no he didn't....

Wow, you gotta wonder what people are thinking sometimes.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"