Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2006, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My 96' Lo Pro freightshaker has the 5.9B, 210 HP w5 speed synchro.

Its adequate but the rear end is geared so low, I'm in 4th gear at 25 mph.
I'm in 5th at 35 through 55. At 55, she's screamin at around 2400 rpm.

Bottom line, 5 speeds is not enough... 4 more would be ideal.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You could put a two speed on the rear axle making it a 5 an 2. It would help your mileage a bunch. 2400 rpm at 55 is screaming for that motor. It makes its torque rating at 1600 rpm.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:21 AM
LawnSite Member

It defeats the purpose of a low pro but going to low profile 22.5 rubber would make a difference. The 18,000lb rear axle in the FL low pro trucks might be tough to find a 2spd for. I think the gear ratio is in the FL low pro are in the 5s which is pretty low probably could get away with 4:63.

I know a bread delivery guy he has a FL Low pro 24 valve B engine 5spd the truck is topped out at 80km/h (50mph) he says the truck won't go any faster I imagine its pegged out. I don't think I would want to be cruising a B series at highway speeds more than 2 grand.

The only thing he doesn't like about the truck is the quality of the truck isn't that great. It is a typical Freightliner it squeeks and rattles. He had to replace the fuel tank it rusted out the muffler rusted out,bumper rusting off the injection pump cost 5 grand to replace that crapped out at 100,000kms (62,000 miles) complained to Cummins they said tough luck. Had the lift pump replaced another 1000 dollars.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If your in PA, there is only one place I can think of from your description. If thats the case, they are Chemlawn trucks. One major factor with these trucks is CHECK OUT THE FRAME. Lawn chemicals will corrode the crap out of a truck. I looked at these trucks, and shyed away for the same reason... 444E. Good advice from others, and the DT466 is a great motor and can be rebuilt in frame.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 10-19-2006, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paponte
If your in PA, there is only one place I can think of from your description. If thats the case, they are Chemlawn trucks. One major factor with these trucks is CHECK OUT THE FRAME. Lawn chemicals will corrode the crap out of a truck. I looked at these trucks, and shyed away for the same reason... 444E. Good advice from others, and the DT466 is a great motor and can be rebuilt in frame.
Paul, I live about 10 minutes from Coopersburg. From all the responses I decided against the truck. I originally inquired about some GMC 4500 cabovers and told me they were sold and had the LoPros for sale. I figured I would start a thread and gain some knowledge, I did. My biggest problem I put about 5K miles a year on my 1989 F 450 stakebody and can't justify anew truck payment. Towing and downtime is getting pricey. Thanks again. Paul if you're ever in the area let me know and I'll buy lunch. Matt
Old 10-24-2006, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Int Lopro for sell

I have one of these trucks for sale. Honestly it is a great truck for any lawn service co. Mine is in excellent shape and can be test driven almost any day. check your pms if your interested.

Custom Masonry and Landscape Construction