Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-16-2006, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Turning Clipping to Compost

I am looking at turning the days grass clipping into compost. What should add to the pile and How often should I turn the pile? How long do you think it will take to turn into a useable pile of compost?

Thanks for the input

Shawn Hines
Old 10-16-2006, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I started a compost pile also, and I don't add any thing, just grass clippings. I think your supposed to add some dirt on top and flip it about once a week, but I rarely flip it (maybe once a month).

I heard some where that it takes a hole year, but I don't think it will take that long to compose.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you can get a hold of un-composted horse/cow manure it helps to speed things up. Adding leaves will add some bulk to it. Grass clippings reduce to almost nothing, but compost hot.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fronczak
If you can get a hold of un-composted horse/cow manure it helps to speed things up. Adding leaves will add some bulk to it. Grass clippings reduce to almost nothing, but compost hot.

Leaves add carbon and grass is nitrogen, add dirt and worms. Do a search you will like the results
Old 10-16-2006, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

beware of pesticide contamination. Our town does not take grass any more because too many DIY'ers are over fert'ing their lawns and there were toxic levels building up in the compost at the dump. Just something to think about, you can't sell it as "organic" unless you're 100% positive (and can prove it) there are no synthetic chemicals in it.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You can add paper, card board, food scraps, fine twigs, leaves, basically and thing organic etc. A little soil, manure and some straw make for good compost. Give it a little water as well if theres no much rain about.
Its best to have 3 piles started at different times over the course of a year or so. Build one up to max and turn etc every so often. Then start another and build that one up. Point is, while ones breaking down you have somewhere else to throw new clippings instead of just adding new to old all the time. Kind of a rotation!