Old 10-17-2006, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfather
that or a skillet up alongside your head from the g/f too

She is in some of them but not alllllllllll
Old 10-17-2006, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, it's only been 9 days. So don't expect to see anything at this point.

The guys are correct, fescue takes longer to germinate than many of the other kinds of turfgrass. In our area, it takes 8 weeks to reach full maturity.

One of the main tricks to successful seeding is keeping the seed damp throughout the germination process. You don't want to let the seed ever dry out. So in this area we get best results by setting the irrigation system to come on 4 times per day, for short durations. For instance, 8 a.m. for 3 or 4 minutes. Then again at 11:00 a.m.. Then again at 2:00 p.m. and then again at 5:00 p.m. Each time, short durations like 3 minutes. Just enough to get the seed damp again. If the soil has been prep'd correclty and you've fertilized and seeded correctly, and there is no run-off then it's a no-brainer. Just keep it damp.

Like the other said, though, temperature are also key. And it's ground temperature that you're concerned with, not air temp. Ground temp is often 5 degress less than air temp.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 10-18-2006, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys for that I was starting to think I was wasting my time and money. I like to try new things on my yard before I start trying to sell it to my clients. I need to know what to tell them to expect so they wont be impatient like me.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2006, 05:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clallen03
Thanks guys for that I was starting to think I was wasting my time and money. I like to try new things on my yard before I start trying to sell it to my clients. I need to know what to tell them to expect so they wont be impatient like me.

Thanks

Let us know
Old 10-18-2006, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would be a little extra patient. Round-up says that it doesn't leave a residue, and you can seed right away. From my experience, thats not quite true. The sprayed areas always come in s l o w e r than the rest of an over seeded lawn.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well yesterday I notcied some really green grass growing in the lawn in patches. Today it start to fill in a bit more but not all over the lawn.
Is this the way the grass will come in, or should I be doing something to help it along?
Old 10-20-2006, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Best thing you can do is water it frequently and stay off it...pets and kids (if any) included.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

new lawn

Alway's test lawn for soil ph if you have had problems before and ad what is needed. The best time for seeding a new lawn is in the spring, lots of rain and warm weather and lot of sun. We alway's test soil for correct ph and ad what is needed along with starter ferilizer, til up, level off, seed with good quality grass seed or plug and roll it down for good contact with soil. We never have and never will apply straw let alone any other type of covering to a newly seeded lawn and have never had a problem. Straw contrary to most, is nothing but a messy problem, it blows in neighbors yards, get matted down in the future lawn to be leaving bare spots not to mention its a mess to clean up.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Here's some information for you, Fescue takes 10-14 days to germinate in good weather. Bluegrass 30 days. Ann. Rye 3-5 days. Want to see quicker results add ann. rye, but not too much maybe 5%. Adding too much makes a lawn look brown when it dies out. Good luck. I wouldn't worry about the weeds from the hay, you can spray for those, or use round-up and spot treat or dab it with a sponge.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somo1
I wouldn't worry about the weeds from the hay, you can spray for those, or use round-up and spot treat or dab it with a sponge.
Any weeds from hay will be grassy weeds. Depending on what species it is, it might be hard to find a selective herbicide to kill it.