Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-21-2006, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by twj721
Big problem I do not speak spanish and I donot live in Mexico this is America nd English is the language here so if they don t speak English there is a language barrier and thus we try not to deal with them . INMOM IF YOU WANT TO COME TO AMERICA AND LIVE AND WORK LEARN THE LANUAGE WHICH IS ENGLISH : IF NOT GO BACK TO TO MEXICO
Well that is really the way it should be, BUT welcome to reality. In my experiences, if you want somebody to show up for work, have a great attitude, work long hours, and work hard all day... you hire hispanics. If you really want to be productive and communicate well... you learn spanish or you hire a bilengual crew leader. This is not really a political decision for me, it is a decision that affects the bottom line and day in and day out.

So before you guys are qualified to tell other seasoned business owners how they should run there business, maybe you should actually hire employees.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=gilatplc]a non-Hispanic foreman over looking his crew and equipment.

I forgot to say that he or she will be bilengual.
1M/1M Liability INS, Limited landscape Cert (Round-up)/Landscape Contactor (first of the year)
Full Maintenance, Design/Install, Tree/Palm Maintenance
Old 10-21-2006, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=gilatplc]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilatplc
a non-Hispanic foreman over looking his crew and equipment.

I forgot to say that he or she will be bilengual.
How are you going to find a bilengual non-hispanic foreman that has to work his tail off?
Old 10-21-2006, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=Lawnworks]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilatplc

How are you going to find a bilengual non-hispanic foreman that has to work his tail off?
This is what I would like find, don’t know if its going to happen but looking at the Hispanic population just in FL I think its possible, (you have to be bilingual in FL these days) BUT more then likely this is just me thinking there a perfect world out their

I realize that most Hispanic will out work almost all of the "white race" and are willing to be way underpaid which for us as business owners is a good thing (if they are legal situations)

But I'm not going to be another "unprofessional" sitting out side my business or here stating that if they come to America they need to "speak English or get out”, but I cant say I don’t agree.

Next door to me is a Hispanic Family and his wife can’t speak English, their children do the translating for here.
You don’t won’t to my opinion on this because even I think it is uncalled for in this discussion. But something must be done to elemant the language barrier in my opinion, what it is I don’t know.

P.S. I see no one on here has gone to Miami, English is a foren language there (was there for a week because of surgery of a family members 2 years ago)
1M/1M Liability INS, Limited landscape Cert (Round-up)/Landscape Contactor (first of the year)
Full Maintenance, Design/Install, Tree/Palm Maintenance
Old 10-21-2006, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

anyone that is used to making next to nothing will work their ass off when they come to the states . i guess most of you that hire these people dont have children or dont care about the future for your children.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKOOPERS
anyone that is used to making next to nothing will work their ass off when they come to the states . i guess most of you that hire these people dont have children or dont care about the future for your children.
When I do have children... I will be able to afford to send them to a private school. So yes, I do care about my children.

Are you a solo operator?
Old 10-21-2006, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am not a solo operator and I agree mostly with the consensus that hiring illegals is greatly increasing the rapid decline of the United States. It is even more apparent here on the border states. I do not hire illegals, you can run a business without them, its not easy and its not cheap.

But more to the point this thread is about Spanish speaking employees and the problems associated with the language barrier.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah thats why in my first reply to this i wrote "this is such a touchy subject"

I knew it was gonna turn into this type of arguement.....And what you guys are arguing about is better off in a new thread or just agree to disagree, but dont start taking shots at one another please, this site isnt for that smack talk fellas, just let it go.....

I can definately see where the arguements are justified in this area of business we do. And I personally would love to hear all arguements- pros/cons regarding it, but a debate/arguement always goes south when someone starts to make it personal....Someone start a new thread and throw me a link to it...
Old 10-21-2006, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I was not going to bring the subject up until someone wanted to run me down because I do not have employees. Can you even consider them an employee when you know you have them by the you know whats? Seems to me that it is pretty close to that whole slavery issue we dealt with some 140ish years ago.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah guys, dont try to get the last word in just leave it....

and no he didnt refer to mexican people as slaves, or mean it in a derogatory way towards mexican people it was directed more towards people who hire them at low wages and are treating them as slaves....either way guys, you both feel strongly for each side of the issue...And there are probably plenty of people on these forums to agree with each of you...Doesnt matter, open a new thread and flame on, just give it up in here....