Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-22-2006, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree to disagree for it is someone's family we are supporting feeding their kids , illegal or not!
(I'm NOT condoning nor agreeing illegal employment)
1M/1M Liability INS, Limited landscape Cert (Round-up)/Landscape Contactor (first of the year)
Full Maintenance, Design/Install, Tree/Palm Maintenance
Old 10-22-2006, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
El idioma nunca me ha creado un problema, lo qué encuentro problemático son los precios pues los inmigrantes generalmente no se han familiarizado con la esquemática norteamericana.
Yo no tengo empleados y no pienso que tendré cuales en el futuro, aunque el español si tiene sus ventajas con algunos clientes.

El único otro problema es el teclado norteamericano no tiene los caracteres especiales como el acento y la ñ.
Mi teclado si tiene acento (á, é, í, ó y ú) y eñe (ñ)
Old 10-22-2006, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twj721
INMOM IF YOU WANT TO COME TO AMERICA AND LIVE AND WORK LEARN THE LANGUAGE WHICH IS ENGLISH IF NOT GO BACK TO TO MEXICO
What if they are not from México?

Successful lawncare companies that are open minded and run by smart people rely heavily not only on hispanic but people from other parts of the word by using the H2B program, there is an article about it on the October issue of Lawn and Landscape.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
El único otro problema es el teclado norteamericano no tiene los caracteres especiales como el acento y la ñ.
lol... didn't know spanish keyboards had them??? I thought you just changed the language on the computer and it would do the characters for you.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Jim @ TURF Magazine again ...

I think open debate on any issue is healthy and informative. I don't consider strong beliefs as "flaming" ... what I find is the least helpful is when anyone gets emotional if someone has a differing belief.

Thanks folks. Very interesting stuff.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

++++i had in the past always stayed away from hispanics due to the stigma associated with them++++

Better be careful with statements like that. The american way is to sue your pants off for racial employment discrimination.

That's what this great country of ours is more and more about these days...Who can I sue and for what?

So if you want to avoid hiring illegals you are in a catch 22 because as soon as you start questioning the validity of someone's documents, if you are wrong, you could be in trouble. That is what the 60 Minutes story on Cargill in Nebraska was all about. Most of the bogus social security cards being used by "illegals" are actually real social security cards...they just don't belong to the guy who is presenting it for employment. There is no way to prevent that from happening. About the only thing you can do to avoid hiring an "illegal" is to conduct racial profiling in the employment process and that could cost you a lot more.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper
Old 10-23-2006, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Another thing I found interesting with the Hispanics, they have no problem discussing each other's pay...if you gave one a raise, you could bet within 24 hours 6 others would hit you up for a raise. I'd watch them on payday and they'd be out in the parking lot showing each other their paychecks...
Old 10-24-2006, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

we find it amusing that it is usually the baby boomer generation LCO's who talk about how lazy americans are and they only hire Spanish Employee's. What they don't realize is that if they didn't spend such a huge amount of their life stoned, but in turn spent some time with their kids and tought them responsibility and work ethics. We wouldn't have this problem with such a lazy youth of America. It's funny how at the root of most problems in our country this generation can always be found. But look at the bright side hopefully most of them will start dying off in the next 10 years from all the toxins they shove in their bodies"! There is always Hope isn't there.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunn's lawn service
we find it amusing that it is usually the baby boomer generation LCO's who talk about how lazy americans are and they only hire Spanish Employee's. What they don't realize is that if they didn't spend such a huge amount of their life stoned, but in turn spent some time with their kids and tought them responsibility and work ethics. We wouldn't have this problem with such a lazy youth of America. It's funny how at the root of most problems in our country this generation can always be found. But look at the bright side hopefully most of them will start dying off in the next 10 years from all the toxins they shove in their bodies"! There is always Hope isn't there.
From a 28 year old...AMEN! My dad hammered a work ethic into me against my will...but I'm thankful everyday that he did. It drives me nuts to see guys my age who are just plain LAZY! I just don't get it!
Old 10-24-2006, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Good work ethic along with other nationalities or ethnic groups, however...........If you can't speak the language you shouldn't be here for work. My grandfather had to learn the language to survive, so why is it so accepted today that we coddle foreigners?