Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-07-2006, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoboy01
And, they WILL speak english, and fluently. I'm not going to learn Spanish so I can communicate with my employee(s). They will speak MY language, or not be hired by me, period.
You say that now..... I once said that myself untill I was faced with the problem of too much work and couldnt find hardworking americans to get it done. I was desperate and hired a Mexican who didnt speak a freakin word of english. Wasnt easy in the begining as I didnt speak a word of spanish. We used alot of sign language and within a few months he had taught me enough spanish and i had taught him enough english words to communicate just enough.

6 years later and my current employees still dont speak english..... but i have learned alot of spanish. They work hard....are reliable...and take pride in there work. The language barrior has become the least of my concerns as you learn to work around it.

Never say never....... That one non english speaking guy might turn out to be one of your best employee you will ever have.

Lets face it, laborers dont make 6 figure incomes therefore people are not lining up for this job. Its hard work and long hours. You cant be so choosy about a person as long as they work hard and are responsible.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan528
You say that now..... I once said that myself untill I was faced with the problem of too much work and couldnt find hardworking americans to get it done. I was desperate and hired a Mexican who didnt speak a freakin word of english. Wasnt easy in the begining as I didnt speak a word of spanish. We used alot of sign language and within a few months he had taught me enough spanish and i had taught him enough english words to communicate just enough.

6 years later and my current employees still dont speak english..... but i have learned alot of spanish. They work hard....are reliable...and take pride in there work. The language barrior has become the least of my concerns as you learn to work around it.

Never say never....... That one non english speaking guy might turn out to be one of your best employee you will ever have.

Lets face it, laborers dont make 6 figure incomes therefore people are not lining up for this job. Its hard work and long hours. You cant be so choosy about a person as long as they work hard and are responsible.
I totally agree. I have yet to meet anyone in this industy that has built up a business that has not had to cross this bridge.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan528

I also agree. I think he will learn it the hard way like all of us have. A fluent English speaking hispanic is expensive, probably already has a great job, and is one in a dozen. I have 5 hispanic workers, but really don't speak too much spanish. I think if you keep speaking English they will come to understand it over time. It forces them to learn it. But I also understand learning there language... we have work that needs to be completed and sometimes that is the only way it will get finsished.

Last edited by Lawnworks; 11-08-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad
"Seasoned business operators." That's funny.
I remember you, you're the guy who said "White people suck" and told me I was "not qualified" to call you a racist.
I am not a racist. The reason I said you are not qualified to tell me who I should hire as employees,,,, is because you don't have any employees of your own!!! If I could find americans that would work hard, not start their own business after I train them, work overtime, give a hoot about the work they are doing, and show up on time... I would hire them!!! Unfortunately, I have all of the problems above and it is hard to have consistent quality employees when there is turnover every 3 months... especially when the pay is higher than other companies.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnworks
I am not a racist. The reason I said you are not qualified to tell me who I should hire as employees,,,, is because you don't have any employees of your own!!! If I could find americans that would work hard, not start their own business after I train them, work overtime, give a hoot about the work they are doing, and show up on time... I would hire them!!! Unfortunately, I have all of the problems above and it is hard to have consistent quality employees when there is turnover every 3 months... especially when the pay is higher than other companies.
I would not "be qualified" to tell you who to hire, no matter how many employees I do or do not have, because it is your business, not mine. But when you say, "white people suck," based on the time that you hired some of your freinds, and could not motivate them, that makes you a racist.
I have had, in the past, more employees than you will ever have, some Americans, some not. All, however, were legal residents.

It's funny, you came here, a few years ago, the teen with all of the questions. Now you we have watched you grow up to be the young man with all of the answers.
Do you recall making this post, regarding illegal immigrants?

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=146
Old 11-15-2006, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I would not "be qualified" to tell you who to hire, no matter how many employees I do or do not have, because it is your business, not mine. But when you say, "white people suck," based on the time that you hired some of your freinds, and could not motivate them, that makes you a racist.
I have had, in the past, more employees than you will ever have, some Americans, some not. All, however, were legal residents.

It's funny, you came here, a few years ago, the teen with all of the questions. Now you we have watched you grow up to be the young man with all of the answers.
Do you recall making this post, regarding illegal immigrants?

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=146

LOL Answer the question! How many employees do you have? How many are on your payroll?

I don't have the answers... I am here to learn from the real pros(not you). I am just stating my frustrations and what works for my company. Obviously I am not the only company that has trouble motivating americans to work in labor intensive industries!! Sorry that offends you. If you are really concerned... why don't you drop me a PM? Or do you just get off trying to inflate your ego?
Old 11-16-2006, 05:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If racism works for your company, go for it.
Just don't deny that a remark such as "White people suck" is racism.
It is true that many white people want something beyond a plate of beans in an apartment full of relatives, and perhaps working for you, they don't see themselves getting beyond that.
How many illegals have you had on your payroll? You admitted to it in that post I linked to.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Member

I do not have employees, nor will I (at least not in the near future). However, I just snagged my first mowing customer ever. The reason? I speak English. The customer must have a big company service her yard as she stated only "spanish speaking" individuals show up to mow. She is just sick of it. I know you more experienced guys already know this, but keep doing what you are doing...now I know where I will get my business from.

www.andrewlawn.com'>http://andrewlawn.com">andrewlawn.com
Old 11-16-2006, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
If racism works for your company, go for it.
Just don't deny that a remark such as "White people suck" is racism.
It is true that many white people want something beyond a plate of beans in an apartment full of relatives, and perhaps working for you, they don't see themselves getting beyond that.
How many illegals have you had on your payroll? You admitted to it in that post I linked to.
I think you know what I meant when I said "white people suck", you just want to try and paint me as a terrible person. I just think white people SUCK for labor intensive jobs(unless they are the owners or foreman that don't actually have to do any hands on work). Granted there are some white people out there that work there tail off for landscape companies, but I think it is a dying breed. People just don't want to put in the time, effort, and hard work to work there way up through a company.... they want success and high wages... now! Just my feelings on the matter.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by apowell18
I do not have employees, nor will I (at least not in the near future). However, I just snagged my first mowing customer ever. The reason? I speak English. The customer must have a big company service her yard as she stated only "spanish speaking" individuals show up to mow. She is just sick of it. I know you more experienced guys already know this, but keep doing what you are doing...now I know where I will get my business from.
You won't be hurting us... those customers are the PITAs. Don't worry you will understand why we hire hispanics after your first year of hiring employees.