Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2006, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Truck Vacuums- How big do I need to go?

I have a 15,000gvw dump truck with a 16 hp BillyGoat Vac. I saw a 23 hp BillyGoat at a trade show. It was way better than my 16 hp. The specs have about the same cfm, just a bigger diameter hose. I heard that some large vacs( Giant Vac) don't reduce the leaf volumm as much. I think that I want to build a swing hitch and put a LittleWonder 27 hp (claims their little blade thingy on the impeller reduces the leaf volumn) vac on it. I think a tow behind would be a pain backing up (like my chipper) and I back up a lot vacumming.

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Member

We've used both a swing-away and a trailer mount. The swing mount is great for backing up, but can be a pain for dumping. If the leaves come out in a brick and you drive forward, sometimes the vac swings around into the tailgate. The trailer is a pintle hitch, which is horrible to back up. But it's light enough just to unhook and place it by hand, then back the truck into it.
As far as chopping ability and volume, I think the secret is to keep the impeller new or in good shape. Our Giant Vac trailer machine's blades are worn down some, so some leaves don't get chopped. If it's a small truck bed and/or a long ride to the dump, you can always dump the load on pavement then vacuum it up again for a double chop.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What HP is your Gaint Vac and what Hp was your swing mount?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you wanna double chop just stick the hose in the bin and recycle them. No need to dump it on the pavement lol.

Cheers
Jeff
Old 10-28-2006, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Spending time to double chop your load? Am I hearing this correctly? I have I believe a 30hp & 65hp Giant vac attached to a 15yd truck and a 20yd truck. When they are full, they go dump. Does it really matter how much they get chopped up or just the fact that they are off the property?

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 10-28-2006, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Fewer trips to the recycling center, and they charge by the cu.yd...sticking the hose into the bin doesn't sound like english..doesn't make any sence to me ?????
Old 10-28-2006, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Paponte,
Whats the difference in the cost & performance of the 30hp vs the 65hp?
Old 10-28-2006, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

To reduce the leaf partical size when using a truck loader, drill 6-8 holes in the upper elbow and insert some #10 self tapping screws about 3/4" long. The screws will need replacing after a period of time depending on how much material you move through the loader. The drier the leaves the more they shread down in size.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Vacs

The reason I suggested a second run through the machine was to eliminate a second load if the dump is far away. If it's an hour round trip to dump the load or you can get ALL the leaves into one load by spending an extra 15 minutes at the job, you've saved time and money. Also, as pointed out, it might save a nickel or two on dump fees. I've never had to do it, but I believe other guys on Lawnsite have talked about it.
Our swing-away vac was a 16 HP Kohler Giant Vac. Excellent machine. The trailer unit is a 30 HP Wisconsin, also a Giant Vac. Much faster, and zero clogs.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuallyVette
Paponte,
Whats the difference in the cost & performance of the 30hp vs the 65hp?
Well I can tell you that I bought the machines at auction, so I got good deals on them. I believe the 65hp goes for around $15k or so new, and I think the 30hp is maybe just under $10k (don't quote me on that, just a price range). I can tell you I have never got the big one clogged before. I have put full bags of leaves through it (still in the bags), whole sea grass, amongst a ton of other things. You really have to look at your individual needs. Honestly I cannot say that one chops up more than another, cause I think they all do about the same. As Gene said dry leaves will chop better. As far as the screw thing, I would be afraid of clogs.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>