Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-19-2006, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

fluid film as starter fluid

works very well. i had to diagnose two cars in the "graveyard" at the auction today that would not start. the easiest way to determine if it is a fuel or ignition issue is to spray a starter fluid into the throttle body. all i had in the truck was my trusty can of fluid film, so i gave it a try and darn if the engines in both of them didn't start and run until the vapors in the system ran out. so now i know i have to order two fuel pumps tomorrow (they have power and ground according to my test light but are not pumping).

i don't like traditional ether in fuel injected vehicles, especially ones with plastic/carbon fiber intake plenums as the volatility of ether can literally blow the plenums apart if a backfire occurs. fluid film works every bit as well as brake cleaner and/or carb cleaner, which is what i traditionally used.

also, sometimes if you run out of gas and the engine doesn't want to start after you add fuel, you can try this trick and it will allow the engine to start long enough for the fuel pump to kick in. just attach the plastic straw, disconnect one of the lines running to the air intake duct before the throttle body, spray it in the hole, and run around and start the engine real quick before the vapors evaporate.

GO FLUID FILM!!

words of wisdom as spoken by a l.s. member at work:
"Gotta go, owners coming"
Old 10-22-2006, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

also works well for lubing fuel injector o-rings when re-assembling intake manifolds.

words of wisdom as spoken by a l.s. member at work:
"Gotta go, owners coming"