Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-21-2006, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Who cuts 2 weeks in NOV in the Northeast

I know a guy who has a big company out here in Long Island and he does weekly cuttings 2 sometimes 3 weeks into November. He says 98% of his customers are okay with it as well.
His Excuse: He tells his customers that if they don't let him cut well into November, then thier fallcleanup bill will be a lot more money, because he's sucking up all the leaves in November instead of really cutting the grass.
This is actually a clever idea I think. Anyone disagree with this. I already had a couple tell me to stop cutting for the rest of the year, It sucks to have your income dwindle towards the end of the year until the cleanups start.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Depending on the weather here, we sometimes mow into the first week of December. I remember in 2002, we were doing a paver walkway on Dec. 16, and it was 65 degrees.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

every year is different the way this year is going well be cutting on christmas
Old 10-22-2006, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

We always wind up cutting 2-3 times November. The big question for us isn't Novemeber, its December. LAst year or the year before I remember having to put the plow on for two storms in first week of December. Only having to go after it melted to finish the leaves.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm done cutting now but i do go to several of my accts biweekly to clean up leaves.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i cut as late, and often as the customers allow... i've still cut every account every week so far this fall...

When the ignorant rule, civilization is brought down to their level...
Old 10-22-2006, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I cut up until the last week in October, then make 2 visits in November and charge as if I did 4. Depending on the weather, of course.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Hollywood do you still do a cleanup after you come the two times in Nov?
Old 10-22-2006, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaskov
I know a guy who has a big company out here in Long Island and he does weekly cuttings 2 sometimes 3 weeks into November. He says 98% of his customers are okay with it as well.
His Excuse: He tells his customers that if they don't let him cut well into November, then thier fallcleanup bill will be a lot more money, because he's sucking up all the leaves in November instead of really cutting the grass.
This is actually a clever idea I think. Anyone disagree with this. I already had a couple tell me to stop cutting for the rest of the year, It sucks to have your income dwindle towards the end of the year until the cleanups start.

I have heard of people doing that and agree. If you cut on a weekly basis and collect any leaves it does make it easier to do a final cleanup but it usually cost you more. Meaning if you charged $25 per cut and cut 5 times in November you would make $125. And say it took you and hour to cut each time that would be 5 hrs not including any travel time. Now if you waited till the end on the month and charged the same (you do not have to if you don't want to) you would save probably 2-3 hrs and make the same amount of money in less time. It worked for me on a few accounts and made more money per hour than if i would have continued to cut weekly. Now the downside your not going out as much as you were and people are not seeing your name so there is a potential of not gaining new business.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaskov
Hollywood do you still do a cleanup after you come the two times in Nov?
My 2 November visits are each cleanups. I visit twice after Nov 10th or so, usually the last visit being the very end of Nov. Leaves should be down then. If it snows, I have to go into Dec..but after the end of Oct it's 2 more visits, each a cleanup.