Register free!

Old 10-25-2006, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like to use liquid edging in applications like this (I.e.: RoundUp).
Old 10-25-2006, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

the problem with roundup and st agustine is that you will get translocation down the stolon very easily and very far and end with much larger bown patches than you initially wanted.

Dont ask me how I know....
Old 10-25-2006, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith
the problem with roundup and st agustine is that you will get translocation down the stolon very easily and very far and end with much larger bown patches than you initially wanted.

Ouch,, not a problem with our rye. BTW, your sig cracks me up every time I see a post from you. Friggin' hilarious.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Reardon
Ouch,, not a problem with our rye. BTW, your sig cracks me up every time I see a post from you. Friggin' hilarious.
not a problem with Fescue up here either.

but if you spray some roundup on a st augustine stolon that was in your flower bed, it would translocate the roundup a good 12 inches. so 2-3" runner that you wanted to kill is now 12 inches dead....one dead runner is not a problem, but if you spray a 6" fence line, you'll end up with a 12" fench line or more...

but St Agustien is a voraciious grower and like was posed above you could plug a yard on 18" centers and have lush green lawn in several months.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
not a problem with Fescue up here either.

but if you spray some roundup on a st augustine stolon that was in your flower bed, it would translocate the roundup a good 12 inches. so 2-3" runner that you wanted to kill is now 12 inches dead....one dead runner is not a problem, but if you spray a 6" fence line, you'll end up with a 12" fench line or more...

but St Agustien is a voraciious grower and like was posed above you could plug a yard on 18" centers and have lush green lawn in several months.
Think of the time you's save with less mowing! Besides, the fence posts would last longer without being line-trimmed all the time. (I'm a, "...glass is half-full" kind of guy. Or is it half-baked...)
Old 10-31-2006, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

I have very little problem with that. just have to have a very close application and a tight spray going. I almost never edge around sprinkler heads except where people insist on keeping those Damn Donuts.

Ed
plastic donuts, buy 2 for each one you need. One slight clip with the edger and they are done.

Cement donuts, plan on excavating them out of the soil at least once a year, or they will sink in and disappear.

in my opinion, donuts are a complete waste of time and money. if the heads are installed properly don't worry about it and just let the grass grow. Once a year, or twice if your really anal, edge or line trim them out. Usually the twice weekly pop up action will train the runners around the head's path.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

heck my folks had a donught cutter that was hooked to a weedy shaft. all of the snow bird who came down had the donoughts, and wanted to see em...money's money..
Old 11-04-2006, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Member

in case anyone is interested, you can get the concrete donuts in the garden dept of Home Depot for $0.97 ea.

after the heads being down for a short while and settling, I no longer need 'em.

I adjusted each one with the ball of my foot
Old 11-04-2006, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed G
After the heads being down for a short while and settling, I no longer need 'em. I adjusted each one with the ball of my foot
Boots or sandals???
Old 11-05-2006, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Barefoot, but I was wearing my jeans and knee pads.