Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #21  
Old 10-25-2006, 10:50 AM
Hank Reardon's Avatar
Hank Reardon Hank Reardon is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In a muddy trench
Posts: 599
I like to use liquid edging in applications like this (I.e.: RoundUp).
__________________
“The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me. ” -A.R.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-25-2006, 11:25 AM
MarcSmith MarcSmith is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 7,242
the problem with roundup and st agustine is that you will get translocation down the stolon very easily and very far and end with much larger bown patches than you initially wanted.

Dont ask me how I know....
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-25-2006, 10:02 PM
Hank Reardon's Avatar
Hank Reardon Hank Reardon is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In a muddy trench
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith
the problem with roundup and st agustine is that you will get translocation down the stolon very easily and very far and end with much larger bown patches than you initially wanted.

Dont ask me how I know....
Ouch,, not a problem with our rye. BTW, your sig cracks me up every time I see a post from you. Friggin' hilarious.
__________________
“The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me. ” -A.R.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-26-2006, 07:39 AM
MarcSmith MarcSmith is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 7,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Reardon
Ouch,, not a problem with our rye. BTW, your sig cracks me up every time I see a post from you. Friggin' hilarious.
not a problem with Fescue up here either.

but if you spray some roundup on a st augustine stolon that was in your flower bed, it would translocate the roundup a good 12 inches. so 2-3" runner that you wanted to kill is now 12 inches dead....one dead runner is not a problem, but if you spray a 6" fence line, you'll end up with a 12" fench line or more...

but St Agustien is a voraciious grower and like was posed above you could plug a yard on 18" centers and have lush green lawn in several months.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-27-2006, 01:51 AM
Hank Reardon's Avatar
Hank Reardon Hank Reardon is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In a muddy trench
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith
not a problem with Fescue up here either.

but if you spray some roundup on a st augustine stolon that was in your flower bed, it would translocate the roundup a good 12 inches. so 2-3" runner that you wanted to kill is now 12 inches dead....one dead runner is not a problem, but if you spray a 6" fence line, you'll end up with a 12" fench line or more...

but St Agustien is a voraciious grower and like was posed above you could plug a yard on 18" centers and have lush green lawn in several months.
Think of the time you's save with less mowing! Besides, the fence posts would last longer without being line-trimmed all the time. (I'm a, "...glass is half-full" kind of guy. Or is it half-baked...)
__________________
“The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me. ” -A.R.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-31-2006, 03:52 PM
Precision Precision is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Cocoa Florida
Posts: 3,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith
the problem with roundup and st agustine is that you will get translocation down the stolon very easily and very far and end with much larger bown patches than you initially wanted.

Dont ask me how I know....
I have very little problem with that. just have to have a very close application and a tight spray going. I almost never edge around sprinkler heads except where people insist on keeping those Damn Donuts.

Ed
plastic donuts, buy 2 for each one you need. One slight clip with the edger and they are done.

Cement donuts, plan on excavating them out of the soil at least once a year, or they will sink in and disappear.

in my opinion, donuts are a complete waste of time and money. if the heads are installed properly don't worry about it and just let the grass grow. Once a year, or twice if your really anal, edge or line trim them out. Usually the twice weekly pop up action will train the runners around the head's path.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-31-2006, 04:00 PM
MarcSmith MarcSmith is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 7,242
heck my folks had a donught cutter that was hooked to a weedy shaft. all of the snow bird who came down had the donoughts, and wanted to see em...money's money..
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-04-2006, 07:22 AM
Ed G Ed G is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Clermont, Fl
Posts: 140
in case anyone is interested, you can get the concrete donuts in the garden dept of Home Depot for $0.97 ea.

after the heads being down for a short while and settling, I no longer need 'em.

I adjusted each one with the ball of my foot
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-04-2006, 01:33 PM
PurpHaze's Avatar
PurpHaze PurpHaze is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 6,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed G
After the heads being down for a short while and settling, I no longer need 'em. I adjusted each one with the ball of my foot
Boots or sandals???
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-05-2006, 06:27 AM
Ed G Ed G is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Clermont, Fl
Posts: 140
Barefoot, but I was wearing my jeans and knee pads.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:12 AM.

Page generated in 0.08386 seconds with 8 queries