Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-25-2006, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Update on my truck situation

I'am in process of getting a new fold down side box its going to cost me about 4900 dollars. I decided I will mount it on the 95 and run with my current truck and see if its going to pay. Loosing 5 grand is cheaper than loosing 60,000 which it would cost me for
a new truck

Last edited by Gravel Rat; 10-25-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly. Test the waters with what you have, then if it takes off, buy a new truck. We made that mistake with the excavation business.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 10-25-2006, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I know I can make it go but not sure if I know enough to spend 60 grand on a hunch. I searched the net and found trucks outside of B.C. in the 2003-2006 model years with 1000-2000 kms or so on them it makes me wonder are the newer trucks junk. People have bought them new tried using them they become a headache now they are trying to get rid of the trucks. I know the 6.0 doesn't have a very good track record and I also heard the 6.0 are diesel pigs they are only getting 10mpg at best.

I would really like to find a lower kilometer F-Superduty like I have now I do like the look of OBS Fords I rather have a 7.3 over a oh no 6.0. I know they are out there just got to keep my eye open for one.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Got a final price on a 11' box with fold down sides it comes to 7500 dollars just for the box painted nothing else no hoist but I already have that the 7500 is not even shipped to me

I knew the price of steel went up but didn't think it would be that much so it looks like I'am searching for a used dump box. If I bought a new box and by the time I get the PTO pump etc I will be up to 9000 dollars

I was quoted around 5000 in January now the price has jumped to 6700 dollars before tax thats a big jump. If I bought a complete box with the hoist and 12 volt electic pump it would cost me 9800 dollars for a 11' dump box.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat
... If I bought a complete box with the hoist and 12 volt electic pump it would cost me 9800 dollars for a 11' dump box.
and to think I couldn't sell my complete - 1t dually 4x4 '78 dodge w/ 10' electric dump (beater) for $1000.. no calls, with craiglist, so it sits with a load of wood on it, I've used it twice in 3 years. It got a little beat up, driving itself down a hill with a load of gravel, till a grove of trees stopped it... I had to drag it out with the dozer, and pull the fenders out of the tires to drive it home... I only paid $1000 for it and got 10 yrs worth of use from it, and it had new tires (bit weather checked by now), was a forest service rig, so is a real goat (4:56 ratio)

be careful with elect hoist, as mine only tips ~45 deg, not steep enough to dump soil, it also gets over loaded when I fill the 9 yd box with boulders..., then I have to give it a 'boost' with the loader

I think I would be buying components at the Richie auction and assemble my own (since you have so much 'free-time'...)
Old 10-26-2006, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't have much free time I have been so busy with my other job my flatdeck I started to build is still in progress. I put that project to the side I have to cut the deck apart and try resurect it or use parts of it for something else. I have to go look at this used dump box up one of the inlets near here at a ex logging operation. If its any good take the gas axe and chop the box off the truck chassis or drag the truck and all onto our barge and bring it back to the mainland.

It has a scissor hoist under it I would cut all that crap out and mount my telescoping hoist on the front of the box. Hopefully the old truck the box is on has a pump,hydraulic tank and PTO shaft then all I need is a PTO to fit the ZF in my truck. I don't like 12 volt electric pumps they are horribly slow they also suck your battery down.

I would like to have a new dump box but I'am not going to pay that kind of money for one.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb
and to think I couldn't sell my complete - 1t dually 4x4 '78 dodge w/ 10' electric dump (beater) for $1000.. no calls, with craiglist, so it sits with a load of wood on it, I've used it twice in 3 years. It got a little beat up, driving itself down a hill with a load of gravel, till a grove of trees stopped it... I had to drag it out with the dozer, and pull the fenders out of the tires to drive it home... I only paid $1000 for it and got 10 yrs worth of use from it, and it had new tires (bit weather checked by now), was a forest service rig, so is a real goat (4:56 ratio)

be careful with elect hoist, as mine only tips ~45 deg, not steep enough to dump soil, it also gets over loaded when I fill the 9 yd box with boulders..., then I have to give it a 'boost' with the loader

I think I would be buying components at the Richie auction and assemble my own (since you have so much 'free-time'...)
You still have the old dodge? i know a guy wanting to build a dump for his 1t dodge and could probably use your setup on his truck.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

alumnium 12' body with fold down sides for our 5500 was 10,000 with an electric hoist, we went with central hyd. so i'm not sure about pto.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

A 11' aluminum dump was going to cost me around 8000 that was installed and with a 12 volt pump. I checked around with other dealers nobody wants to just sell a 11' box. The only dealer is the one I bought the hoist from but I don't think its worth 6700 dollars.

The prices on equipment has gotten ridiculous because Vancouver has a building boom so they know contractors in that area will pay those kinds of prices. Not me the price of steel hasn't gone up enough to warrant a 1500 dollar increase in a dump box. If the economy wasn't booming in Vancouver these dealers would be so outrageous with their prices.

Going to have to go for a ride in a boat to go look at these couple trucks up the inlet to see if one of them has a good enough dump box. Hopefully one of the trucks do if not I will have to try repair the flatdeck I started building.

With deck I started building the steel I orderd wasn't heavy enough so its 50% done but the deck flexes way too much. It would be okay if I solid mount it to the frame but no way I could make it dump. I got a little disgusted plus the fact the steel I ordered wasn't perfect it was reject material. The steel sheeting wasn't square so I fought with that. The structural channel was slightly tweaked. It was a constant struggle trying to make things straight. I un do everything from the platform I was working off of and the god **** deck twists and turns like a wet rag

I knew the reject steel was going to bite me in the azz and it did. I didn't want reject steel and I definatly didn't order it. If I shipped it back it would be another 500 in shipping so I tried working with it. The steel supplier didn't tell me they sold reject steel it is the last time I ever deal with them. I gave my brother frigging hell he recomended the steel supplier when I told him I got reject steel I wasn't happy.

It is my fault for ordering the material that wasn't heavy enough I looked at the spec's of other manufacture built decks so I copied them. My biggest mistake was ordering 1/4 thick 3x4 angle iron for the perimeter of the deck it should have been 3x5 3/8s thick I did order heavier than normal C channel for the two long sills. I used 1/8 thick steel sheeting for decking its too thin it should be 3/16s the 1/8 doesn't have enough strength it just oil cans. The only way I can make the 1/8 work is make the deck frame itself strong and rigid so the 1/8 plate isn't used for the structural part of the deck.

The deck that is on my truck now its a heavy SOB its well built I should have used it but it does have thin cross memebers that would have to be repaired or replaced. Stubborn me thought it would be easier to build a new deck

After finding out the prices of new dump boxes I'am holding off and see if I can find a decent used truck. If the box I was looking at was 5000 like I was quoted earlier this year I would be installing one on my current truck.

It would be a fairly easy install build a subframe with hinges bolt it to the chassis hook up some hydraulics its ready to go. If I have to do major fab work I'am not going to bother I want to invest my time and money into a truck that I plan on keeping. To even modify one of the used dump bodies I plan on looking is going to take a weeks worth of fab work

As it is I can sell my current truck as a flatdeck for 11,000 to 13,000 and find a newer truck as I planned. If I did put a dump body on my current truck I still wouldn't get anymore than 14,000 for it because of the kilometers on the truck. If I sold the truck as a cab and chassis I would really loose money.

Better off paying a little more for something I know will give me 4 years of service without costing major money. With my current truck it would be 500 dollars for the steering box then wouldn't be too long after the 5spd grenades
Old 10-26-2006, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Buy a truck with a box on it. Bite the bullet and get to work. All the time you spend fixing and tinkering, you are not out in front of the public working -generating business. It is scary jumping in the water......but ya got to do it or time is going to pass you by. So steel has gone up....so has fuel.....and so have my prices.....it is what it is. The work is there, get some of it.

The first truck I bought, I didn't even have my CDL, or a job lined up......but I knew I could do it and I knew I would make it work. Now, I'm runnin' as hard as I can....my favorite reply is "YES, I can do that!". My services are in demand.....but the bottom line is, in order to win at the game you have to be in the game. Back then, I thought of a thousand reasons "what if...." I am glad I overcame my fears and took the risk.....not to say its a bed of roses, its not, but I am "doin' it" and that's where I want to be. Conquering one's negative attitudes and internal dialogue is one of my biggest personal challenges.......write down a game plan.....execute the game plan.....get in the game!