Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-28-2006, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

sorry

To White trash and CaptKen
Sorry if I offended you guys, I really don't think a site like this could help an man in need, Plus the name White trash, well doesn't sound like he thinks a whole lot about himself, I would try another call name. If a person needs help that bad there are local people who could help more, Also the Unemployment agency has means to find people work, White trash, what did you do before you went into this business?maybe you could go and see if they need extra help? I was not trying to talk down to anyone, again my sincere apologies.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma200
Take an hourly job thru Winter, go to school, get a cdl licence to fall back on, invest in your business and come up with a game plan that will put you in better shape next year, advertise heavily next Spring, etc.
here you go
Old 10-28-2006, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Also that $7.00 dollars for a six pack could by you 50-70 packages of Ramen. Depending on where you shop. Lay off the sauce for a few months and you'll make it.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Good side line to make money in winter

After last season, while trying to figure out how to make money when there isn't money coming in for my lawn service, my wife hit me up to put vanyl gutters up on our house. So off to Lowes I go. I got the stuff and put 75 linear feet up in roughly 2 1/2 hours. A passer by spotted me, stops and ask how much to put gutters up for him. I got his address and said I would stop by later to give him an estimate. I sat down with my reciept from Lowes and figured out every 25 feet of gutter cost me roughly $110-$125. So armed with this info I bid the job at $225 every 25 feet. After making a net $400.00 for 4 hours work I have been putting up gutters when I am not mowing ever since. It's been worth it to me, maybe it will help you out to.

Good luck. Most of us have kids to feed to.

We love and own Ford Trucks. We run Great Dane ZTR's, Snapper Hydro Walk-behinds, John Deere Tractors, and lots of Husqvarna hand held equipment, and too much other stuff to list. We use equipment that fits our need, and are not loyal to a paint color or brand name. Color and name don't get the job done-the equipment and workers do.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i hate to hear someone in bad shape like that as captken says hang in there and offer other services .just when things look there worst all of a sudden things turn around.just get yourself out there mate .good luck
Old 10-28-2006, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow"N"Bud
After last season, while trying to figure out how to make money when there isn't money coming in for my lawn service, my wife hit me up to put vanyl gutters up on our house. So off to Lowes I go. I got the stuff and put 75 linear feet up in roughly 2 1/2 hours. A passer by spotted me, stops and ask how much to put gutters up for him. I got his address and said I would stop by later to give him an estimate. I sat down with my reciept from Lowes and figured out every 25 feet of gutter cost me roughly $110-$125. So armed with this info I bid the job at $225 every 25 feet. After making a net $400.00 for 4 hours work I have been putting up gutters when I am not mowing ever since. It's been worth it to me, maybe it will help you out to.

Good luck. Most of us have kids to feed to.
Great story. And you don't have the huge investment in tooling like the seamless guys.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Not many tools at all

About all the tools you need, and most any handy man already owns are; a ladder, drill (a good cordless is very handy), small level, measureing tape, hack saw, heavy cutting scissors, and as for hardware get good galvanized screws, and use quality clear cilicone RTV for the joints. I average at least 2-3 gutter jobs a week. It easy, quick, and the money is great. I hate to say it because I really do love to mow, but if I could like up 2-3 gutter jobs a day, I might quit cutting grass. Please don't tell my crews though.

We love and own Ford Trucks. We run Great Dane ZTR's, Snapper Hydro Walk-behinds, John Deere Tractors, and lots of Husqvarna hand held equipment, and too much other stuff to list. We use equipment that fits our need, and are not loyal to a paint color or brand name. Color and name don't get the job done-the equipment and workers do.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=whtrash73]my first year very few contracts..got fall clean-up next month.gonna do clean-ups if possible even pressure washing maybe spread a little lime.any body got some ideals for making some cash.help a poor old man with yunguns to feed!!![/QUOTE

If you have your CDL you might check with your local school district it your school system over there is like the one s over here they are always needing bus drivers Just a thought that is where I get my health insurance and also pick up about $5600.00 a year for 180 days of work 4 hrs a day 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon Twj
Old 10-28-2006, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnamo
You better be a man if you want to load trucks for UPS. Brutal work. Cutting lawn will be for relaxation after that!
Jeff
I have worked the pre-load for 2 years at UPS and it is cake work, Benefits are the best of it all though. I go and take care of my accounts after I get off from there. Its great.

BCF Lawn & Landscape
'05 Chevy 2500HD
'05 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
18' Enclosed Trailer
20' Enclosed Trailer
24' Liberty Gooseneck Bobcat Trailer
18' Landscape Curbing Trailer
60" Cub Commercial Tank
60" Cub Commercial Recon
2 52" Wright Standers
36" Cub Commercial Walk Behind
763 Bobcat
Stihl weedeaters and Blowers
7.5' Meyers Snow Plow
8' Blizzard Snow Plow
10 Foot Snow Box
Old 10-29-2006, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike lane lawn care
what about a loacl mall or shopping center? they are always looking for seasonal people. try a job that makes comission and sell lots of stuff. do you have a truck? get a plow and you can make tons of money. but for starting out to get quick cash, apply for a retail job.
No real need for snow removal in northwest Alabama. I know what he's talking about though. I have several friends in the Shoals area that tell me everyday the economy over there just SUCKS. Good luck to ya! Almost have to drive to Decatur or Huntsville to find work.