Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-30-2006, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow"N"Bud
About all the tools you need, and most any handy man already owns are; a ladder, drill (a good cordless is very handy), small level, measureing tape, hack saw, heavy cutting scissors, and as for hardware get good galvanized screws, and use quality clear cilicone RTV for the joints. I average at least 2-3 gutter jobs a week. It easy, quick, and the money is great. I hate to say it because I really do love to mow, but if I could like up 2-3 gutter jobs a day, I might quit cutting grass. Please don't tell my crews though.
That's what I'm busting my balls saying over and over again.
Lawncare is so low in profit making. Hope you don't go too cheap putting gutters in cause it does pay very well. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok, I have read the original post and all of the following post and my first thought is still my final thought.... Maybe you shouldnt be running your own business? What does your business plan have to say? Your business plan accounts for the slow time of year and how to make the most of the cash you do have on hand and plans out the slow times and has a back up plan so your family NEVER goes without. I would think long and hard about trying another run at lawn cutting next season if this season was so hard for you and if you dont capitalize on this slow time to PUT a business plan together, well, we are going to see the exact same post next year from you until you get fed up and leave lawnsite for good. So since you are already in a bad situation, you need to take anything that comes your way, money is money and if my family was hungry then I would be doing ANYTHING to handle my resposibilities, they are the most important thing to me and if working at 7-11 and cleaning bowling shoes puts cube steaks and french fries on the table, then so be it. Pride is not an option when your child is looking to you for food. If my post seems rude or makes you mad, then so be it, the sooner you realize your roll the sooner you will do something about it and stop looking for sympathy from others. You live in the greatest place in the world, thousands of illegal immigrants are here living, working, and making it, if you aren't then YOU are controlling that. So you need to see what you are doing wrong and fix it immediately, if your family is hungry then you are NOT doing what you are suppose to be doing, if you "cant" find work then one, you arent looking and for another, the US govt has provisions for people in your situation, there are food banks all across the US. In my opinion, the only thing that needs to change is you, then everything else will fall into place.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Member

He said absolutley nothing about more work than he could handle. I think you need a reading comprehension course before you go shooting someone down. I will quote him so you can read it again: "already got more work thanks to some great suggestions".

The fellow came on here asking for advise, and some amongst us were kind enough to provide it in any way they could. Others chose to put the man down instead of helping. We don't fully understand his situation or his local economy, so offering holier-than-thou advice just demonstrates the mentality of the people giving the advice.

It sounds like some of the suggestions have provided means to make money, and that is all he was asking for - way to go guys.

Good luck whtrash73.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

whoops, sorry deej. i guess that my point should have been that he needs to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to put food on the table for his family. If he needs advice on how to do that in the lawncare industry, he should find something else with a steady paycheck.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whats a business plan?
Old 10-30-2006, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtrash73
well here i am agian...i have a great business but the grass quit growing..my equipment is paid for..got started late...i am not hired up..already got more work thanks to some great suggestions...as far as sympathy,pity and being a whinny baby you must be talking about some body else cause i am a real man from the old school...i was probably cutting grass when yer mommy was wipeing yer arsh!!
if you don't mind my asking, what kind of equipment do you use?and what job did you take for off-season work?

2005 GMC sierra 2500 4x4
2000 Chevy Astro 4.3l vortec V6
2006 Simplicity Broadmoor
2005 Lawn Boy 21" walk behind
2006 Craftsman 21" 6.0 HP push
2005 tow behind spreader, dethatcher, aerator
2006 5X8 trailer
2005 Echo gt-200R
a slew of hand tools
The list goes on

Rome wasn't built in a day, but they didn't have me working on that project
Old 10-31-2006, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Member

to the dude that backed me up- you know who you are i say thankee!!! ok i gotta 05 260 gravely z a 04 walker a huskacannotspella weed-eater 2 more pieces of crap weed-eaters a steil blower a new 16ft. trailer. 87 gmc with a 350 vortec glass-pack kick-asser!! a cheap-ass cd player playing da blues and a 357mag. for problems. i am washing boats..clearing lots pressure-washing cleaning cars and standing in line all night long at toys-r-jerks and gotta a ps3 thanks to my sweet son(approx1000 profit)...
Old 10-31-2006, 02:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Now I have cleaned up this thread, and removed some posts.
whtrash73, I'm not sure if you understand how this forum works. If you want to post questions, that is fine. But if someone says something to you that you do not agree with, you may not tell them to kiss your ***. If this thread is to continue, there will be no more bickering in it.
thank you.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtrash73
to the dude that backed me up- you know who you are i say thankee!!! ok i gotta 05 260 gravely z a 04 walker a huskacannotspella weed-eater 2 more pieces of crap weed-eaters a steil blower a new 16ft. trailer. 87 gmc with a 350 vortec glass-pack kick-asser!! a cheap-ass cd player playing da blues and a 357mag. for problems. i am washing boats..clearing lots pressure-washing cleaning cars and standing in line all night long at toys-r-jerks and gotta a ps3 thanks to my sweet son(approx1000 profit)...
mate i can understand things are tough for you at the moment and i appriecate it takes courage to open up like you have .jodi is right.there is no need to respond to people who dont understand..keep hanging there mate and get yourself out there .dont let pride get the road

Old 10-31-2006, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Member

ok guess i been outa hand and need to learn here to follow the rules even if somebody mouths off and makes me mad.so i will take what i need and leave the rest.i am truly thankful to all for the help.hope fully i can help some one out who may be down and out.ya see some of us have little education,were poor most our lifes,are not as organized as some,had our butts kicked to many times,used way to many chemicals on and on...but we all live on the same planet so here we are!!!