Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-26-2006, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

always buy top quality?

do you always buy the best equipment, or do you weigh in other factors like how much usage it will see, severity of the task, etc.

i need a long extension hedge trimmer, for just a handful of tasks a year. Ideally, renting one fine, but i hate to work on someone elses schedule.
i have nice commercial trimmers, echo, but once in a while i need that little extra.
either way i'm going to buy one, new, used, or even a cheaper model. I was in Home Depot yesterday buying clear bags for leaves, and saw a cheap Ryobi EZ attatchment set up. Had the extension trimmer, as well as the chainsaw pruner. I'd love to have those 2 tools, but can't see alot of useage from them.
I calculated about $240 for both for this cheapo model... what would the figures be for that in Redmax? My dealer had the redmax trimmer attatchment for just under $300, then you need the unit itself, $$, then the saw attatchment.
I always buy the highest quality i can afford, but for certain items, i have to debate it for awhile.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I always try to buy the best quality which I can afford. That also means that I will shop around for the best possible price, considering availibility and convenience of service
Old 10-26-2006, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I found myself in the same situation, needing preffessional quality hedge trimmers (extended reach) and did not want to spend $500 on a tool that would spend 85-90 % of the year on the trailer. I buy all Stihl, so this is what I did.

I Bought the Stihl Kombisystem KM90 Powerhead that accepts the different attachemnts (like the Ryobi EZ Attachement) and purchased the adjustable 20" hedge trimmer for it. This was about $25 more than just the extended hedge trimmer alone. Then, about 2 weeks later, I purchased a Line Trimmer attachement for it when I started using a helper a few days a week.

Cost breakdown was like this:
KM90 Powerhead appr $309
Hedge Attachement appr $180
Line Trimmer Attch appr $ 89
Total appr $600

If I were to buy just another trimmer and a dedicated Hedge trimmer, I would have easily spent $850. So, I saved $250 and have an engine that can serve two purposes.

By the way, here is the link for the Stihl Kombisystem tools.
http://www.stihlusa.com/multitask/

Serving the Greater Savannah Area
www.tlc-lawncare.com
Old 10-26-2006, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total.Lawn.Care
I found myself in the same situation, needing preffessional quality hedge trimmers (extended reach) and did not want to spend $500 on a tool that would spend 85-90 % of the year on the trailer. I buy all Stihl, so this is what I did.

I Bought the Stihl Kombisystem KM90 Powerhead that accepts the different attachemnts (like the Ryobi EZ Attachement) and purchased the adjustable 20" hedge trimmer for it. This was about $25 more than just the extended hedge trimmer alone. Then, about 2 weeks later, I purchased a Line Trimmer attachement for it when I started using a helper a few days a week.

KM90 Powerhead appr $309
Total appr $600

If I were to buy just another trimmer and a dedicated Hedge trimmer, I would have easily spent $850. So, I saved $250 and have an engine that can serve two purposes.

FDA I looked at this kind of stuff for a long time trying to get off as cheap as possible. I did buy a Ryobi off Ebay that ran for one day before the pull string stop recoiling. I pitched it and went with the Stihl Kombi just like TLC. It has been a great system and will use it many, many times. I have the KM85, extended chain saw, sythe, hedge trimmer.
I also looked at Troybilt 4 cycle multi attachment, but passed.
Believe your a sinner: Rom 3:10/ Rom 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
Believe what Jesus Christ did for you:Rom 5:8, 1Cor 15:3-4. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Believe God's judgement on your sin: Rom 6:23, Rev 21:8
Receive
Jesus Christ as you personal Savior: Rom 10:9-13, Jn 1:12 Act 16 30-31
Old 10-26-2006, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total.Lawn.Care

KM90 Powerhead appr $309
Total appr $600

This is some of what I mean by shopping. I did the same thing a few years ago with Stihl powerhead, string trimmer, hedge clipper, pole saw, and edger.
Saved a bundle over buying individual powered items. Edger gets most use since I already had a trimmer, but pole saw sure is handy when I neede it, beats standing on a ladder with chain saw.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Ditto, I've got the edger, string trimmer of course, pole saw with extension, the hedge trimmer, and the little tiller as well. My next weed-eater will be another combi-system as well. A great idea that Stihl probably just happened to come out with first.

We don't just cut your lawn, we style it!
Old 10-26-2006, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My stihl dedicated pole trimmer ran $500

It took a while before I had one lol, at first I just bought the attachment, to use as needed with the weedeater. But now, the pole trimmer serves as a backup weedeater (since I have 2 working ones beside).

I know what you mean about debating, I like my mind to be made up.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Those Ryobi attachments can be put onto a Stihl trimmer. Take the attachment off the shaft, and slip it onto the stihl. Tighten up, and off you go!
Keep the rpm's down, that ryo bi stuff can't handle the workout that stihl can.
Not as good as using Stihl parts, but it'll get you by for a while. The stihl hedge attachment is only a couple hundred, anyhow.
I don't know anything about redmax, the "other" dealer carries that stuff, and I don't do business with him, as he is one of these guys that refuses to work on equipment purchased elsewhere, even if his shop is empty, and you're in a bind.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad
I don't know anything about redmax, the "other" dealer carries that stuff, and I don't do business with him, as he is one of these guys that refuses to work on equipment purchased elsewhere, even if his shop is empty, and you're in a bind.
That would be my main concern with buying stuff from home cheapo or slowes....woudl my dealer service the equipment with a smile, and coul he get parts for the ryobi or other stuff.....

Personally, Id never buy the split shafts stuff. I know the designs have come a long way since the Green machine my folks owned. ( we wonrt go there)

If your powerhead goes down, then you've just lost several peices of equipment.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith
That would be my main concern with buying stuff from home cheapo or slowes....woudl my dealer service the equipment with a smile, and coul he get parts for the ryobi or other stuff.....

Personally, Id never buy the split shafts stuff. I know the designs have come a long way since the Green machine my folks owned. ( we wonrt go there)

If your powerhead goes down, then you've just lost several peices of equipment.
I can somewhat agree with this. I have a dedicated trimmer and edger. I have the split shaft to run multiple tools as backups (extras) and tools that are not needed everyday. I will always have a dedicated one piece shaft trimmer and edger in my trailer. But I do like the idea of the split shafts for the other tools. As long as you have more than one, you never need to worry about an engine going down.

Serving the Greater Savannah Area
www.tlc-lawncare.com