Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-26-2006, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Late october overseeding in Iowa

I have client who wants their yard rolled, aerated, then overseeded. I am new to the business and dont know what kind of seed to use, and can I do all this on one visit. Should I scalp the lawn then seed/ wheat straw/fertilize I am realy green on this subject but they were realy impressed with my fall cleanup and it could be a high end customer so I want to go in and do this job with confidence can anyone help me.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would just get them signed for doing these services next year in the spring. It is too cold to overseed here in IL so Im pretty sure that Iowa is colder right now. You could be doing yourself harm in the long run if this is a first time customer and you do not produce results because the weather is too cold. Time it right next year and you can get better results. Yes, you can seed and fert. in one visit
Old 10-26-2006, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaLawnEnforcement
I have client who wants their yard rolled, aerated, then overseeded. I am new to the business and dont know what kind of seed to use, and can I do all this on one visit. Should I scalp the lawn then seed/ wheat straw/fertilize I am realy green on this subject but they were realy impressed with my fall cleanup and it could be a high end customer so I want to go in and do this job with confidence can anyone help me.
You can aerate, overseed, and apply starter fert all in the same day..only problem is you should have done this about 6 or 7 weeks ago IMO for where you live...as mentioned, wait until the Spring.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you aerify this late in the season you run the risk of dessicating the grass around the holes. If you have access to an overseeder I would use that after aerifying. Mow the grass to 2-2.5". Double aerify. 1 pass with an aerifier only disturbs about 4-5% of the lawn surface. Follow up with the overseeder. It will break up the cores and place seed into the soil. If the soil is wet you might want to let it dry for a few hours before overseeding. If the lawn is really thin overseed in 2 directions. Be sure to apply starter fert at the time of seeding.

If you explain to the customer that the results of the seeding will be poor if done in the fall and they wouldn't be getting much return from their investment they will agree to do it in the spring.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I slit seeded my last place on Sept. 15th. This is the recommended time and my magic date for cutting any type of seeding off. I only agree to seed when the homeowner signs a contract that they have been informed of the potential ineffectiveness of late seeding, etc. etc. I got burned on this once, only once, decided it was never going to happen again. Wait until spring.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

im from the dsm area and you cans till aerate, but not seed. I wouldnt try scalping the yard though. just mow, aerate, then seed it(in spring).