Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-26-2006, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Tree removal

We do a lot of tree trimming by the hour but one of my customers has an extremely large dead tree in the middle of a large lawn with no structures around it, and wants a firm price for removal. Anyone have any idea on how to quote this thing. Is there a standard amount using the diameter of the tree or some other method. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

tree removal is very serious work and not for amatures not say youre not but have you done these before and tell us some more about the tree how big close to house power lines ect
Old 10-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Another good site to post your question is : www.arboristsite.com which is all about trees.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Can you post some pics? Its imposible to just guess a number. Also be very careful as a dead tree will not hinge like a live tree.
I've been doing this for 27 years,trust what I say. When in doubt,farm it out!
Old 10-26-2006, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldturf
We do a lot of tree trimming by the hour but one of my customers has an extremely large dead tree in the middle of a large lawn with no structures around it, and wants a firm price for removal. Anyone have any idea on how to quote this thing. Is there a standard amount using the diameter of the tree or some other method. Any help is appreciated.
I bid on some work recently that included felling and removing about 11 dead trees. I planned to do 8 myself as they were basically trunks out in the middle of nothing. 3 however could've fallen in the street so I called one of the best tree guys in the area. My bid would've been waaaay high. I was surprised.

He offered to cut down the worst 3 (24"x70') for $250, cut all 11 of them for $600, or cut all of them and remove them for $1200-1300. I personally would not have done it for that. Push come to shove, I'd rather someone else do everything and make a little off of that unless I came across this kind of work on a regular basis.

I don't know if his price is typical as he was the only one that got back to me.

Andy
Old 10-27-2006, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Member

The tree measures 151'' around at a height of 3 feet off the ground. That is about 4' dia. It is dead,dead,dead. I would estimate 80 ft tall and a lot of big limbs. Nothing around it anywhere. I am thinking around $1,400.00. What do you think?
Old 10-27-2006, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think you should sub it out to a professional tree company. A dead tree is more dangerous than a live one. This sounds like a big tree. It is not necessarily the worry that you will fell it onto something but that you could get seriously injured or killed by a tree like this unless you are trained and experienced in doing this type of work.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldturf
The tree measures 151'' around at a height of 3 feet off the ground. That is about 4' dia. It is dead,dead,dead. I would estimate 80 ft tall and a lot of big limbs. Nothing around it anywhere. I am thinking around $1,400.00. What do you think?
Sorry, sounds high. Get an arborist to give you a quote on cutting and removal. If his price is high enough for you and you can do it yourself safely, then go for it. If it's alot less than you hoped for, sub it out and make a little on the job.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
I think you should sub it out to a professional tree company. A dead tree is more dangerous than a live one. This sounds like a big tree. It is not necessarily the worry that you will fell it onto something but that you could get seriously injured or killed by a tree like this unless you are trained and experienced in doing this type of work.
i climb trees all the time and dead ones are scary even with climbing gear and when that wind blows up there hang on but if you know what youre doing and you fell COMFORTABLE doing it go ahead but be careful
Old 10-27-2006, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Did a few trees in my day and will never attempt to do it again (large trees)

Not only because my insurance doesnt cover ... but the last time I cut a monster tree down I knocked out power on the whole street, pulled the line off the neighbors house and had a live wire jumping next to the garage