Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-29-2006, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What Size Air Compressor?

We are going to purchase a new air compressor soon and are wondering what size to get. We will be using it for removing blades with an impact wrench,grinder, sander, filling tires, and possibly paint gun. So we are having trouble deciding because we thought you wanted the most CFM but the larger the tank it seems they have less CFM. So what dou you all think?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have used an 11 gallon coleman powermate for about 12 years now for framing, grinding, painting, impact tools etc.... It works well but with the grinder it empties out the tank rather quickly. I would recommend one of the craftsman 33 gallon upright compressors. The uprights take up less floor space. Should be more than adequate for what you are using it for.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Rizzo. So you don't think it matters that the bigger tanks have less CFM.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

get a belt drive, the direct drives are incredibly noisy. We have a Husky 26 gallon. We had a similar sized direct drive Coleman, but it was too noisy, so we replaced it.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For operating air impact wrenches, and sanders and such. you are going to want at least 6 cfm @90 psi. One of the craftsman 30 or 33 gal. units will work I would suggest a bit larger so it wont be running quite as much. (this will prolong life espically if you are going to be doing a lot of sanding or using an air hammer or cutter.)
I had a 33 gal craftsman compressor and it was decent. I still have it but I am going to upgrade to a 60 gallon compressor soon. I do a lot of sanding on parts (me and my dad do). Painting racing mowers, and using a lot of air tools.
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 10-29-2006, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have a 26 gallon huskey with 5 HP motor. OODLES of air for a paint gun and impact wrench. I woulden't use a sander for long however. I use a 1 inch belt sander for blades, much better.

Cheers
Jeff
Old 10-29-2006, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you go to craftsman website you can see the required cfm for many tools. They recommend having a compressor with 1 - 1.5 times the tools cfm. If this is something you will be using daily for an extended period of time each day I would agree with BS and get a belt drive. They will be more expensive but will last forever. Other wise the direct drives work great and require little or no maintenance. If it's to loud, put it in another room....
Old 10-29-2006, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've got 2 compressors, a 60 gal which stays here, and then a 20 gal which can be moved around. If you want the best of both worlds I'd say get a ~30 gal on wheels and do what you can with it. My 60 is a FAR better machine than the 20, but if I need to be out on a project somewhere the 60 is a little hard to transport.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

craftsman 30 gallon at the shop use that thing for everything...love it
Old 10-29-2006, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunn's lawn service
We are going to purchase a new air compressor soon and are wondering what size to get. We will be using it for removing blades with an impact wrench,grinder, sander, filling tires, and possibly paint gun. So we are having trouble deciding because we thought you wanted the most CFM but the larger the tank it seems they have less CFM. So what dou you all think?
How many CFM'S do you need. The size of the tank has nothing to do with CFM'S. I have a 7.5 h.p. compressor with an 80 gallon tank that provides 25 CFM'S @ 100psi