Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-02-2007, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A few Planting Jobs From 06

Here are a few pics of some planting jobs from the 06 season.....To many pics to post them all, so will post a few small jobs, medium size jobs, and full scale jobs.......Most of the pics will be in the same neighborhoods....amazing how people always want to keep up with the Jones....but more $$$$$$$$ for me.....
First and last pics are small scale planting job with Lava Rocks as the ground cover....
The middle two pics are also small scale planting jobs with Pea gravel as the ground cover...
all beds are excavated about 3 inches, and filled about 8 to 16 inches with a moisture control top soil and fert mix....
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2007, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That lava rock looks nice but I would advise customer to not use it because it will get into the lawn. Ultimately a trimmers can find those pieces and throw them through windows. Also very difficult to get leaves out of it without blowing it onto the lawns.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

...more...first three pics are of a medium scale job, with Brown Mulch as the ground cover.....

Last two pics are also of a medium scale job, with Red Mulch as the ground cover....
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2007, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

close up of the last pic flower bed
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2007, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

...more....The first two pics are medium to large scale, with egg rock as the ground cover...Sub Contracted the curb n work out....

The last three pics are also medium to large scale plantings, with Pine Straw as the ground cover....what I originally designed, would really have set this home apart from all their neighbors, but couldn't close the deal in 06, but I will in 07, because just had a proposal signed by their neighbors today and its a nice large scale projects so I am sure they are going to break down.....
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2007, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

...more...these last four pics are of the same home....we did a full scale landscape make over for this family.....added the island in the middle, Five flower beds, pond in the back lawn, and lava rocks as the ground cover....Will post more pics of this home as I get them back....currently in the process of adding a fire pit, and kennel.....
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2007, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

And yes, I hate Lava Rocks, and I was so glad the crusher crew in New Mexico quit last year because it gave me a excuse not to use it, and if I did use it, charge them 3x as much as I usually would because of the demand....Only a few places here had it last summer, and they also were going up on their prices unless you were a landscape contractor.....But had a lot of people ask for it, and was able to talk most of them into other things.....I dont really have a problem with losing rocks to the lawn because I trench inside of the stone borders so everything drops.....but it does erode, and I made sure I made it clear that I was not responsible for eroding rocks, and explain to all customers who got it the pros and cons so they were clear on what could happen. The home in the above pic has Red lava Rocks, with specs of Black to match the brick on the home......
Old 01-02-2007, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here are a few pics from a home where we did a large scale planting job early in the spring in 05, and this was right before we pulled them up in Oct. to plant her pansy's.....I fertilize 3 times per seasonal color planting.....I wanted to do a little pruning, but she didnt want me to touch a thing.....
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2007, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Looks nice but why do the lawns look so bad? Is the coloring just little off in the pics.
F450 XLT Dump
Fisher Xtreme Vees
22' Enclosed Trailer
16' Open Trailer
14' Dump Trailer
10' Open Trailer
Redmax 2stroke Equipment
Walker, Wright Stander, Lesco
Little Wonder, Stihl, ect. ect.....
Old 01-03-2007, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the pics were taken either while lawns where going dormant, or when they where dormant. The last home, you can see the Rye grass we put down starting to spread like fire.....Was at that account today, and their lawn is glowing green....But Bermuda and Zoysia turn tan during fall and winter.....Nothing can be done about that but overseeding with Rye grass late summer, earlier fall, or either when ever we start planting pansy......Thanks though.....