Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2001, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Idler pully

I have a 36" giant vac mower and I am trying to replace the idler pulley on the blade engaging arm. Do I need a tool to pull off the old pulley? I have the new pulley but the old pulley will not come off. Thanks for any reply
Old 06-20-2001, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I'd definitely recommend using a puller for the job you describe. I'm not sure how familiar you are with that sort of tool, but basically it consists of a threaded shaft and a mating collar which has 2 or 3 arms that hook onto the rim of the pulley. A good place to buy one would probably be a NAPA or similar automotive supply outlet.

If the old pulley has been on for a long time, it may be a little "seized" onto the shaft but it should come off without too much fuss. If it doesn't, check to make sure that the set screw(s) are loosened right off, and maybe use a torch to put a bit of heat on the pulley (where it slides onto the shaft) as well.

When installing the new pulley, carefully remove any burrs that the setscrew(s) may have raised on the shaft and also put Never-Seize on the shaft & setscrew(s) so next time the job will go a bit easier.

Last edited by 75; 06-21-2001 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2001, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Member

75 Thanks. I will try to find a puller and thanks for the quick reply to my question