Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2001, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Member

25 h koler

the last week my 25 koler got to acting up. it would stop firing on the right side. it might do this for 10 - 20 sec or it might last 7 - 89 min. you just never knew. i have trided averything that i can do. changed spark pluges, drained gass out, blue the carb. out and nothing helps. has any one had this kind of problums?
Old 06-17-2001, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

MIne does that when it is extremely coldo ut,an the engine is cold.I think it might be running lean,and need a carb adjustment.does it do it under a load?or juts free revving.I would do a compression test ,see if both cylinders are within 10% of each other.IT isnt likely with an OHV engine,but you could have dropped a valve seat on the exhaust valve on that cylinder.My Onan did the same thing when it dropped a valve seat.Do the compression test when its acting up,and again when it clears up.The seat as it gets hot,will eventually lock into the aluminum head,and run fine,but when it cools it unseats itself and misses on that cylinder again.You will need a new head if the seat drops,since the repaired heads never last long.God luck
Old 06-17-2001, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I GAVE UP AND TOOK IT TO MY DEALER SAT. IT WOULD DO IT AT ALL TIMES. WHEN YOU STARTED IT UP , WHEN YOU WERE MOWING , YOU JUST NEVER KNEW. I HAD A 72 THAT DROPED A VALVE SEAT AND HAD TO HAVE A SHORT BLOCK PUT IN. IT BENT THE PUSH RODS AND ALL IT DID QUITE A LOT OF DAMIAGE. I TRADED IT OFF FOR A 2001 V T C DIXIE AND IT RUNS GREAT.
THIS 60 IN THAT I AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH IS A 98 AND I HAD TO HAVE THE HEAD GASKETS DONE TWICE ALL UNDER WORNETY. THEN IT DONE IT AGAIN AND KOLAR HAD TO PUT A NEW ENGINE ON IT FOR ME AT NO COST. THIS IS THE ONE THAT IS ACTING UP. WILL CALL THEM TOMORROW TO SEE WHAT THAY HAVE FOUND OUT. THEY ARE VERY GOOD ABOUT GETTING MY MOWERS IN AND WORKING ON THEM. THEY KNOW THAT IS MY LIVELY HOOD AND THEY BEND OVER BACKERWARDS TO KEEP THEM GOING FOR ME.
THANKS FOR YOUR IMPUT JOHN.HOPE THAT ALL OF YOUR GRASS IS GREEN AND LEVEL.
HAVE YOU EVERY USED BLADES THAT HAVE BEEN CRYOID(not sure about the spelling), THAT IS WHEN THEY FREZZE THE BLADES.
Old 06-18-2001, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Run from the 25!!!!

Kohler makes good engines but when you replace this boat anchor tell them that you want a 26EFI instead of the dreaded 25.

I have owned both and had massive problems with the 25. Not one problem on the 26EFI after almost 400 hours.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My Kohler Command 25 has 105 hours on it. It is in the shop for a head gasket, exhaust valve reface and lapping, heavy lifter noise and rough idle. I have had the lifter and rough idle problen since it was new. I had to take it in for the head gasket so I wanted everything fixed. They said that they talked to Kohler about the lifter problem and they said that was quite normal on the 25's. They went on to say that as of a few monthes ago they fixed the problem in the oil passageways and the new motors are OK. My dealer has his hands tied on this one. These lifters pump down and clatter and there is a loss of power for the valves not being opened like they should. I just think that Kohler doesn't see the big picture on this. I shouldn't be stuck with a known faulty engine. Is there a lemon law on small engines? There should be. The Gravely 260Z's have 25 Kawasaki's on them now. Gravely got smart. If Kohler doesn't take care of this sort of thing then they will be out of the commercial market. If I had a choice now I would pick the new Briggs 25! Now if Kohler would only authorize a 25 Kawasaki repower- Then the problems would be solved.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

KHOUSE.......

I would TELL your dealer to TEST the oil pressure. I have run into several with the same complaint that you have, and it has ended up being low oil pressure. It is caused from a welch plug in the rear of the oil pump coming loose/falling off, thus not being able to create pressure to pump up the lifters. This in turn creates more noise in the lifters, and poor running.

Jeff in AL

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 06-20-2001, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Jeff,I think my 25 might have the same problem.My dealer says it runs OK,it is a dog,ticks like crazy once in a while,and burns about a pint of oil in 25 hrs.It has 225 hrs on it now.Dealer says they all tick,all are dogs,and all burn oil,in fact after riding mine-they said it was a strong one-i said compared to what a 5 hp 21"?.Do you know what the oil pressure is supposed to be.Ive been thru one set of head gaskets already-this is a 2000 model with the updated head gaskets,and no smart spark.My motor is under warranty still,but gettting anyone to fix it is impossible-they say its the nature of the beast.
Old 06-20-2001, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

WENT AN PICKED UP MY MOWER TODAY. IT WAS THE COIL ON THE RIGHT SIDE. THEY PUT A NEW ONE ON AND IT RAN GOOD ALL AFTERNOON. IT WOULD NOT MISS ALL OF THE TIME AND OFCOURSE IT WAS RUNNING JUST FINE WHEN THEY LOOKED AT IT, SO THEY SURMISED THAT IT WAS THE COIL.
KHOUSE I DONT KNOW WHAT KIND OF MOWER YOU RUN BUT IF IT IS A DIXIE CHOPPER IF YOU HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM 3 TIMES THEY WILL REPLACE THE ENGIN, I THIN. ATLEAST THEY DID ON THE ONE THAT I JUST HAD TROUBLE WITH. IT BLEW THE HEAD GASKET THREE TIMES AND THE THIRD TIME THEY JUST REPLACED THE MOTOR.
Old 06-21-2001, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kohler should put a red tag on the 25's that reads - Under normal running conditions this engine may consume engine oil, have excessive lifter noise, blow cylinder head gaskets and run on one cylinder.

This way we could make a reasonable choice. I may just be too hard on Kohler? I believed in Kohlers before this. I wish they would take care of these problems for us.
Old 06-21-2001, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Please, no "ALL-CAPS"!

Hi Ron - just a polite "reminder" message here: please refrain from posting in all capital letters. All-caps are hard to read, and also capital letters are the keyboard equivalent of YELLING at everybody!

Thank you!

'75 GMC "Blood, Sweat & Gear$"