Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-27-2006, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Br600 over shin 8510

i test drove the shindawia 8510 and stihl Br600 yesterday. I spent 10 min walking around with Shindawia 8510 backpack $519+tax blowing leaves in the dealers back yard. It took me about 15 sec to decide that the Stihl at $469+ tax was a better buy for me. the power was comparable, but stihl was a lot lighter and easier to use. So now I am the owner of Br600.
Romans 8:28
"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God"
Old 10-27-2006, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicnj
i test drove the shindawia 8510 and stihl Br600 yesterday. I spent 10 min walking around with Shindawia 8510 backpack $519+tax blowing leaves in the dealers back yard. It took me about 15 sec to decide that the Stihl at $469+ tax was a better buy for me. the power was comparable, but stihl was a lot lighter and easier to use. So now I am the owner of Br600.

Welcome to the club
Old 10-27-2006, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Great! Someone with some smarts upstairs!!! I can not believe how many people here rave about the Redmax and other brand blowers like they do, one day with a Stihl 550 or especially a 600 is all anyone should need to see which is better overall.

I have a friend who is a complete dumbA@% who said he would never buy one cause he didn't like the way they sounded..... What a moron! Who cares what it sounds like, it is quiet, blows hard, is comfortable and light and not that expensive.

This same friend used to tell me he would NEVER EVER buy a Diesel powered truck. This was back in 1999-2000 when I had a Ram with the Cummins engine. He said he didn't like the smell of diesel and the noise etc.... Well Fast forward to 2003 and he goes out and buys a new Ram with Cummins, likes it so much he now has three of them. Some people just don't have a full tank upstairs you know!!!!

I dickered with my dealer over the price and he sold me mine at Cost, I paid just under 400$ for it!

2008 Toyota Tundra
2009 Wright Stander RH 52"
2008Scag Tiger cub 61"
2006 Husquvarna ZTR 42"
Stihl BR600 blowers
Kawasaki/ echo handhelds

37, Married, 7 year and 1 year old sons , Solo operator, Average 60-70 accounts, mostly residental, Been in business since 1994

When not working I am either flying, boating, jet skiing, or riding my motorcycles

Here is some videos of how I enjoy my time off http://vimeo.com/user2428477/videos
Old 10-27-2006, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Br 600

We just picked up our first BR 600 and compared to the BR 400 and 420 I notice a huge difference. for $100 more it made sense to go with the 600. $599 vs $699 CA. I notice it the most on the roads that have a bit of sand debris. It blows the sand and leaves completly while the other two blowers leave the sand that they don't hit directly. I have to Shin C4 engines and have not been really pleased with them. The valves have been adjusted once at $50 which was not a cost we expected and while they have good power when they run, them seem to cut out alot easier then my stihl ever did, and for no reason. They do feel alot nicer then the stihl though, and I like the padded grips and look of them.

Jon
Old 10-27-2006, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You made a good choice. I have many Br600 blowers and also tried the big RedMax that everybody talks about and could not see any difference in power but a huge difference in weight and ease of start.
Good luck
Old 10-27-2006, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When stihl matches a two year commercial warranty i might, until not.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wish I could agree? 600 is a great blower but time is money and the 8000 is a lot more powerful. If you compare them side by side it's obvious. No reason to delude myself.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Come on..... How many times have you guys had to take back a blower or trimmer to the dealer to be fixed under warranty ????

In my 12 years of business I have only had to do that once and that was due to a faulty gas cap that allowed gas to dribble out when the tank was full or if I bent over wearing it. That blower was a Mariyama I bought ( 2 of them to be exact ) back in 1995. The problem with the blower was apparent right out of the box, and nothing the dealer of the manufactor did would stop it so they bought back the blowers. ( I made the mistake then of buying the most popular blower I would see back in those days, a Echo PB- ? , It was the one with the orange metal frame and airfilter on the top, heavy as sin and not very powerful... )

Other than that, I have not had any reasons to get any of my stuff fixed under a warranty. Matter of fact, the only thing I can recall any of my Stihl blowers ever needing was a new recoil spring on my old BR420, and that was my fault for washing the thing so often the water got into the recoil housing and rusted out the spring. This happened after about 3 years of use. Never had any other problems out of any of the other 2 stroke stuff other than normal wear and tear, like clutch shoes on trimmers etc....

If a Warranty makes you feel better then by all means buy it! But again, if you take reasonably good care of your stuff, chances of needing a warranty in a year or two is slim to none

2008 Toyota Tundra
2009 Wright Stander RH 52"
2008Scag Tiger cub 61"
2006 Husquvarna ZTR 42"
Stihl BR600 blowers
Kawasaki/ echo handhelds

37, Married, 7 year and 1 year old sons , Solo operator, Average 60-70 accounts, mostly residental, Been in business since 1994

When not working I am either flying, boating, jet skiing, or riding my motorcycles

Here is some videos of how I enjoy my time off http://vimeo.com/user2428477/videos
Old 10-27-2006, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing wrong with stihl ope i have buds that swear by em,redmax is what i'v been using for four seasons,to be honest the redmax 8000 back pack has broke my back in half that and turning 40 this year.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have the Sthil BR600, good power, better on fuel consumption, much lighter the our Redmax 8000's.