Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-04-2006, 04:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Getting it off my chest!

How do I tell my story without boring you guys. I have been watching this site for a couple years now. Alot of good advice on here. My problem is I am a fulltime firefighter that is getting laidoff next month. Along with 20 others. I have dreams of having a legit successful business. I have been planning and researching for years now. I worked part time for 2 summers learning the biz till he started to rip me off. Went to school for horticulture a semester and had to quit because work wouldn't let me have time off anymore like they said they would let me. With that said I just don't know if I am ready to jump in. The thing that scares the crap out of me is there is alot of competition and I don't know If I have enough knowledge to do it yet. Parts of me want to go to school and learn more but that is gonna cost $$. Parts of me want to jump in. Guess I just don't want to fail. Sorry for venting but I am sure someone here will read this and can relate. Thanks and Take Care.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I started my business after being laid off. It is hairy. So I can empathize. Best advice I can give is go ahead and start your business, and get a part time posistion somewhere, and dont be too proud to work someplace. Start small, and build. Once you start getting accounts you will be glad you did it.
As for school, I would read books on turf grass management so you know something and can answer customers questions. Id try to fit it in later. I do have a degree in turfgrass and soil science, and i can say it more then helps with highend stuff. You have the winter to make plans. GOOD LUCK!

Chris
P.S. any questions on good books for Turf grass management just ask!
Old 11-04-2006, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Whats the probability you will get called back? If its good I would enjoy some time off! Maybe look into doing some plowing to supplement your income. As far as going to school, if this is something you really want to pursue then go for it. Make sure your have a business plan in front of you and follow it. Don't get sucked into the buying everything game where you buy the biggest best thing out there, and just use common sense.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 11-04-2006, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK
Chris
P.S. any questions on good books for Turf grass management just ask!
what are some good books????
Old 11-04-2006, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jump in with both feet, don't hesitate and never look back.
Have the gonads to face your fears. Every decision we make in life is a risk. The bigger the decision the higher the risk.
You gotta just go for it in life. Believe in yourself, forget competition. Show force, take risk, give all you have.
Those who hesitate are lost in the shuffle baby.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
Jump in with both feet, don't hesitate and never look back.
Have the gonads to face your fears. Every decision we make in life is a risk. The bigger the decision the higher the risk.
You gotta just go for it in life. Believe in yourself, forget competition. Show force, take risk, give all you have.
Those who hesitate are lost in the shuffle baby.
do it you'll have nothing but good luck
Old 11-04-2006, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

Wow, I'm suprised you guys responded. With me venting and all. Thanks alot for all the good advice and having faith. I have been reading a lot of books. My eyes feel like they are gonna pop out of my head from reading so much on the computer. LOL I guess I am just a perfectionest and just want to know everything before I jump in but I guess I am just gonna have to learn from my mistakes and grow into it. Just like everything else in life.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy25
How do I tell my story without boring you guys. I have been watching this site for a couple years now. Alot of good advice on here. My problem is I am a fulltime firefighter that is getting laidoff next month. Along with 20 others. I have dreams of having a legit successful business. I have been planning and researching for years now. I worked part time for 2 summers learning the biz till he started to rip me off. Went to school for horticulture a semester and had to quit because work wouldn't let me have time off anymore like they said they would let me. With that said I just don't know if I am ready to jump in. The thing that scares the crap out of me is there is alot of competition and I don't know If I have enough knowledge to do it yet. Parts of me want to go to school and learn more but that is gonna cost $$. Parts of me want to jump in. Guess I just don't want to fail. Sorry for venting but I am sure someone here will read this and can relate. Thanks and Take Care.
This is ironic, some of the competition that will be taking jobs away from you will be full time firefighters who are just doing this for extra cash! At last what goes around comes around!
Old 11-07-2006, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy25
Newguy I was laid off 14 months ago and since have built a pretty successful business despite the competition in the area. It all boils down to what you feel in side, what is your passion Firefighting or something else? Once you figure that out the answers will come.

Good luck!
Old 11-07-2006, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Competition!

Spazfam-tried sending you a private message wouldn't except it. What do you think about all of the competition in are area??? How are you dealing with it?? Seems like everyone is losing there job in are area. I thought my job was secure boy did I think wrong. I am amazed at the number of NEW landscapers every year in are area. Been watching other guys in are area for a while. Wondering how some of them make it???? Thanks and Take Care.