Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-08-2006, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Christmas Trees

Anyone here sell them? and if so hows your response
Old 11-08-2006, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have friends who have done it and most havent done it more than once.

The tough thing is that you usually have to buy all the trees upfront and get stuck with tons of them that dont sell. Hopefully you sell enough to cover the ones you dont sell.

I think the best way is if you have property and can sell cut your own.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

selling a ton of em doing well....
Old 11-15-2006, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Christmas Trees

We sell Christmas Trees in Connecticut on the BerlinTurnPike. We have been there several years and it takes that amount of time to establish a clientelle but after you do it's great. There are still good years and not so good years but all in all we do well and it's a family tradition.

Cindy P
Old 11-15-2006, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Family Tradition...
Father-in-law bought 12 spruce in 1931, decided it was easier to cut 'em then dig 'em.
Mother-in-law sold them while he was in WW2.
I showed up around 1968. Because he had a hot daughter.
We took over about 10-12 years ago I guess.
My granddaughter had to go to the lot last weekend, to help me set up. (her idea, not mine)

Pay for trees up front? My grower requires 25% down pmnt. in September the rest C.O.D. I seen/saw a semi trailer loaded in Michigan a couple years back....in July. Not a pretty sight!

Left overs? National Christmas Tree Association says 10% is a sellout.
Father-in-law doesn't get too excited until i have about 10 left, then he wants to buy me out.

Anyways, the daughter is still hot even after 35 years of marriage.
Expenses are crazy...trees will be in tomorrow. 1 more year, ready or not.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't sell them but I buy one every year. cost about $25-30 bucks.

fluid film- the official sponser of sflqpru
Old 11-15-2006, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Worked for one of the largest landscaping co. in south jersey for 3 years. The owner also had a huge tree farm that we grew White Pine, Douglas Firs, Norway Spruce, Blue Spruce, a few Cannan Firs, and even a couple Serbian Spruce. To think that wasnt enough, we even had several trucks drive to Parts of PA and NC(they only grow in the high altitudes of the mountains) for hundreds of Fraiser Firs (the number one seller in this area). We would move literally thousands of christmas trees every holiday season. Sold pre cut, balled, or pick one out of the field you want us to cut. Now i want someone who sells or has sold trees to guess at how much the average price per pre cut tree was......Anyone???....

(I'm getting to the point soon)
Old 11-15-2006, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG Landscaping
Worked for one of the largest landscaping co. in south jersey for 3 years. The owner also had a huge tree farm that we grew White Pine, Douglas Firs, Norway Spruce, Blue Spruce, a few Cannan Firs, and even a couple Serbian Spruce. To think that wasnt enough, we even had several trucks drive to Parts of PA and NC(they only grow in the high altitudes of the mountains) for hundreds of Fraiser Firs (the number one seller in this area). We would move literally thousands of christmas trees every holiday season. Sold pre cut, balled, or pick one out of the field you want us to cut. Now i want someone who sells or has sold trees to guess at how much the average price per pre cut tree was......Anyone???....

(I'm getting to the point soon)
85 bucks and you are going to say it is crazy that a guy can sell a soon to be dead tree cut from the ground in ten seconds for nearly the same as an installed B&B tree

what do I win.....free fluid film
Old 11-16-2006, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

right on...huh

Not bad huh ....lol, Actually i dont think its that crazy because I know how much work goes into growing and maintaining a tree to the point where its ready to be sold. But what i was getting to is that if you want to sell christmas trees you will see that it is much moer profitable to grow them yourself if you can and your not affraid to have the highest prices in town. When you "order" a load of trees for dirt cheap from in most cases canada they are cut way too early and drop needles before evn getting it into the stand. If you can sell yourself and product to the customer based on the freshness and quility of your tree farm the customer WILL pay the big bucks! When selling trees you cant sell yourself short or you WILL lose $$MONEY$$ Im sure there are some that will argue saying you can make it by on ordered trees and im sure you can but i would highly recomend driving to site, watch them cut your trees, and drive them home. You could do this until you have a field of your own matured trees to sell. Either way you decide i wish you luck! Hope i help somewhat..
Old 11-16-2006, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

True and false...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG Landscaping
Not bad huh ....lol, Actually i dont think its that crazy because I know how much work goes into growing and maintaining a tree to the point where its ready to be sold. But what i was getting to is that if you want to sell christmas trees you will see that it is much moer profitable to grow them yourself if you can and your not affraid to have the highest prices in town. When you "order" a load of trees for dirt cheap from in most cases canada they are cut way too early and drop needles before evn getting it into the stand. If you can sell yourself and product to the customer based on the freshness and quility of your tree farm the customer WILL pay the big bucks! When selling trees you cant sell yourself short or you WILL lose $$MONEY$$ Im sure there are some that will argue saying you can make it by on ordered trees and im sure you can but i would highly recomend driving to site, watch them cut your trees, and drive them home. You could do this until you have a field of your own matured trees to sell. Either way you decide i wish you luck! Hope i help somewhat..
just trying to get 1 more post...
Grow your own? sure, but if you know it's that much work, why do I want to do it? Let the other guy do the work, I'll do a few small landscrapin jobs and save up for a down payment. There are quality wholesalers out there.
Even at age 91 I've heard the father-in-law say "ya, maybe I should have planted a few acres.' He was concerned about the work involved too.
Not sure what my point is here actually. I think it's important to know your market. Small town just east of here a guy cuts some scotch and hauls them to town and sells trees. Now these aint pretty scotch, but it's all the town has ever seen so they're happy with them. They've never seen a good fraser or would they pay the price for a fraser.
Think I can get $75 for a 7-8' fraser this year? Never mind, goes back to the market thing...parts of Wisconsin I could get 3 or 4 of them for that.

weathers good!
later
Tom