Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-09-2006, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

a driver what does he need

i was wondering what does a driver need legally to be able to get in accidnet and have no problems

michigna standards
mdot card
cheffurs license
what else?
Old 11-09-2006, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I say if he got in an accident, he has enough problems. However, not to compound it, here is my list:

1. The driver needs to be licensed.
2. The driver needs to be listed as a potential driver on the auto policy.
3. I hope (for your sake and the sake of the insurance) that you driver has a good driving record. (You can require your driver to bring you a copy of their DMV record to check this.
4. The driver needs to obey traffic laws, and wear his/her seatbelt.
5. If hauling a payload or towing, everything needs to be secure and safe.

Any officer can find at least 3 violations on almost any vehicle they stop if they want to. For a company truck, this can range from 3-10 easily, depending on the officer and his mood that day. So I would suggest trying to adhere to as many of the laws about towing, payload, lights, seatbelts, etc as possible. If a company truck is at fault in an accident, sometimes they will start looking for anyviolation that they can write, whether they are accident related or not.

This is just my advise to minimize as many problems as possible if you were to have a company truck involved in a accident.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total.Lawn.Care
I say if he got in an accident, he has enough problems. However, not to compound it, here is my list:

1. The driver needs to be licensed.
2. The driver needs to be listed as a potential driver on the auto policy.
3. I hope (for your sake and the sake of the insurance) that you driver has a good driving record. (You can require your driver to bring you a copy of their DMV record to check this.
4. The driver needs to obey traffic laws, and wear his/her seatbelt.
5. If hauling a payload or towing, everything needs to be secure and safe.

Any officer can find at least 3 violations on almost any vehicle they stop if they want to. For a company truck, this can range from 3-10 easily, depending on the officer and his mood that day. So I would suggest trying to adhere to as many of the laws about towing, payload, lights, seatbelts, etc as possible. If a company truck is at fault in an accident, sometimes they will start looking for anyviolation that they can write, whether they are accident related or not.

This is just my advise to minimize as many problems as possible if you were to have a company truck involved in a accident.

Yeah, thats right. Those are good points, here is a few others in a slightly direction but still vehicle related. Very important to have all your paper work up to date and accessible. I would also have procedures in place in case there is a wreck. There are a lot of "opportunists" out there. They get in a wreck with one of your trucks and a small injury somehow becomes a huge one. Not to mention there will likely be litigation involved because it is an "opportunity" to get some money. Have a disposable camera in the truck so they can get lots of pictures just in case. Have a simple questioner in the truck so you can capture any important info if there is a wreck or ticket for something. No need to be too long, simple is the key word. All of this goes along with the police thing. You have to cover your own backside because no one else will, better to be prepared.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

He needs atleast a chauffer endorsement to be legal to drive your trucks on a commercial basis, and YOU DEFINITELY have to have a commercial insurance policy on your vehicles. If you have regular insurance, and something on an accident report says ANYthing about your truck hauling equipment (and it will), the insurance can be totally null and void - and don't think for a minute that an insurance co. wouldn't do this upon an investigation. You could be sued and pay for the rest of your life. This may sound a bit harsh, but it is the absolute truth.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.

Last edited by Runner; 11-09-2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
He needs atleast a chauffer endorsement to be legal to drive your trucks on a commercial basis, and YOU DEFINITELY have to have a commercial insurance policy on your vehicles. If you have regular insurance, and something on an accident report says ANYthing about your truck hauling equipment (and it will), the insurance can be totally null and void - and don't think for a minute that an insurance co. wouldn't do this upon an investigation. You could be sued and pay for the rest of your life. This may sound a bit harsh, but it is the absolute truth.
This is a good point ... make sure your agent knows up front that you use your vehicle FOR work. If they think you are just driving it "to and from" work ... and you have an accident, pulling your trailer, while you are working ... OUCH.

Can you say "Dropped Like a Hot Potato"

Proud Supporter of:
Hustler mowers ~ Xtreme racks ~ STHIL products
Old 11-10-2006, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i agree with the above .i just went through this .thank god my driver was on mt policy otherwise i would be ******

Old 11-12-2006, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

we have to submit liscense numbers to our agent and they approve/deny the drivers.

A dui will prevent them from driving for us for 5 years.......OUCH...
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 11-12-2006, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino21
i was wondering what does a driver need legally to be able to get in accidnet and have no problems
Invisibility
Old 11-12-2006, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

make sure they dont use y0ur turck to buy drugs
Old 11-12-2006, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dusty and YardPro touched on an important point. No drugs/Alcohol period. You add either of those two pieces of magic to a company truck accident and you may as well bend over and kiss your a** goodby....also say goodby to your savings account, the current house you live in, in short.....say adios to any asset that you may have or have in the future.