Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-12-2006, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total.Lawn.Care
I say if he got in an accident, he has enough problems. However, not to compound it, here is my list:

1. The driver needs to be licensed.
2. The driver needs to be listed as a potential driver on the auto policy.
3. I hope (for your sake and the sake of the insurance) that you driver has a good driving record. (You can require your driver to bring you a copy of their DMV record to check this.
4. The driver needs to obey traffic laws, and wear his/her seatbelt.
5. If hauling a payload or towing, everything needs to be secure and safe.

Any officer can find at least 3 violations on almost any vehicle they stop if they want to. For a company truck, this can range from 3-10 easily, depending on the officer and his mood that day. So I would suggest trying to adhere to as many of the laws about towing, payload, lights, seatbelts, etc as possible. If a company truck is at fault in an accident, sometimes they will start looking for anyviolation that they can write, whether they are accident related or not.
This is just my advise to minimize as many problems as possible if you were to have a company truck involved in a accident.
This might be long due to your jacked up opinions about Police. Yes you did have some good points..BUT....Your right to a point about being able to find at least 3 violations. you say IF THEY WANT TO. no thats there job. but whose fault is that? Not the OFFICERS fault the company/driver/owner is in violation. I make alot of stops were the only violation is the one that I stopped them for.

DEPENDING ON THE OFFICERS MOOD...does the mood of your employees determine how your lawns turn out for the day. If they are having a bad day in my lawn going to look bad? MOODS dont determine the violations found. Its the OFFICERS job to find violations. REMEMBER we keep the roads safe for your family.

Now the accident part..As some of you know I am a Police Officer and am also a certified Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance inspector. So I have inspected alot of vehicles that have been involved in accidents. ALOT of fatal acidents. One well known accident that involved over 220 vehicles here in Lansing, MI. And the driver of one of the Commercial trucks that was at fault and killed a little boy had a suspended license. Maybe If i was in a good mood we would have just let him go. Its our job as CVSA inspectors/police officers to find violations. Commercial vehicles are regulated by the federal government. YOU are proffesionals and are held to higher standards than the average driver/vehicle on the road. To me that is something to be proud of and not complain about.

Now if you talk about writing tickets then your right, thats a IF THEY WANT TO type of deal.

Sorry guys/gals but I had to vent cuz some of the comments I read just didnt sit right with me.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In GA if your driving a pickup truck you are NOT required to wear a seat belt. Other than that:

1. Incorporate
2. Commercial auto policy in the name of the corporation
3. All drivers on the policy.
4. Pray regularly
Old 11-12-2006, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino21
i was wondering what does a driver need legally to be able to get in accidnet and have no problems

michigna standards
mdot card
cheffurs license
what else?
IF the vehicle(s) Gross Combo Weight rating (GCWR) (truck and trailer) is over 10,001 pounds then YES you need a Medical card. If the power unit (truck) is 10,000 pounds or more then you need a chauffeurs license.
You will also need a fire ext/warning devices if your GCWR is over 10,001.
What part of MI you in? You will need carrier identification on your truck if the empty weight is more than 5001 pounds. If your trailer,including load is over 3,000 pounds you need brakes on the trailer. Some of the bigger trailers need reflective tape. Oh yeah... secure your stuff. Two straps/chains etc on each piece of equipment.

SUGGESTIONS--->If your hiring drivers then make them bring a copy of there driving record. Make them update it every 6 months. A suspended driver thats gets stopped will cost you ALOT of money just to get your vehicles out of impound. On top of the lawns not being cut. Keep a copy of all this including there medical card on file. Make them fill out daily inspections on the vehicles they drive. Keep these on file. Pre and post trip inspections. This way you will know what needs to be fixed. Make up a drug free work place policy that says you can test randomly. And make your employees believe that you do and will test even though you might not.
If you have anymore questions let me know.

Let me know if you have any other questions......
Old 11-12-2006, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

d&rlawncare:I drive a rig and trailer and tow a 10 ton track-hoe. This is my daily driver. I work at over-maintaining my equipment. I tie my track-hoe down with at least 5 chains and binders each and every time. I am not interested in being the fastest on the road, but I want the ability to be able to slow down and stop to the best of my ability. I just spent another $2,000 and had an engine brake installed to help me in my stopping power. I am glad the cops are tightening up here on overloads, non-compliance and weeding out the ones who shouldn't be on the road with a rig to begin with or for that matter, guys with pick-ups towing trailers that are way off the scales of safety and common sense. I just want you to know, being a professional driver, I feel safer out there with you guys doing your job. I have witnessed so much on a daily basis.....I wish you guys would get "moody" and crack down a little harder.......in the long run, it makes it better for all of us.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't rely on employees to bring a drivers report. We have a form that authorizes us to check their MVR (Motor Vehicle Report) before we hire them. The insurance agent will tell us if there are any red flags. Some of the things they have gotten people turned down include people under 21, 3 tickets or more in 2 years, and dwi.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

RockSet N' Grade very good post. As someone who has driven professionally for almost 20 years I would agree with all you stated.

There is also one other thing I have not seen mentioned yet and that is make sure you have the correct license. Smarino21 if you are driving for a company involved in heavy duty landscaping you may need a CDL and not just a chauffeurs license due to size of truck, air-brakes, hazardous chemicals, etc., any reputable company will make sure you are squared away on this before you ever get in their trucks but a fly-by-night outfit might not and since it is mostly your butt on the line I would find out one way or another.

This is something D&Rlawncare can give you the specifics on.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSet N' Grade
d&rlawncare:I drive a rig and trailer and tow a 10 ton track-hoe. This is my daily driver. I work at over-maintaining my equipment. I tie my track-hoe down with at least 5 chains and binders each and every time. I am not interested in being the fastest on the road, but I want the ability to be able to slow down and stop to the best of my ability. I just spent another $2,000 and had an engine brake installed to help me in my stopping power. I am glad the cops are tightening up here on overloads, non-compliance and weeding out the ones who shouldn't be on the road with a rig to begin with or for that matter, guys with pick-ups towing trailers that are way off the scales of safety and common sense. I just want you to know, being a professional driver, I feel safer out there with you guys doing your job. I have witnessed so much on a daily basis.....I wish you guys would get "moody" and crack down a little harder.......in the long run, it makes it better for all of us.
Thanks and It is good to hear you take pride in your job and in being safe. I personally think that most companies large or small try to be safe. You always have 10% out there that just dont care. And thank you for being safe on the roads.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy2tall
RockSet N' Grade very good post. As someone who has driven professionally for almost 20 years I would agree with all you stated.

There is also one other thing I have not seen mentioned yet and that is make sure you have the correct license. Smarino21 if you are driving for a company involved in heavy duty landscaping you may need a CDL and not just a chauffeurs license due to size of truck, air-brakes, hazardous chemicals, etc., any reputable company will make sure you are squared away on this before you ever get in their trucks but a fly-by-night outfit might not and since it is mostly your butt on the line I would find out one way or another.

This is something D&Rlawncare can give you the specifics on.
Yes, depending on the GVWR on the power unit he could need a CDL.