Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2012, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Wasn't making fun, just don't believe it...and still don't.
You can believe what you want, but you will still be wrong.
This has been VERY well studied in the field of tournament fishing, where nylon monofilament dominated the field until newer lines came out, and the effects of water absorption are pretty well understood.
Here's a decent technical explanation of what's happening:
http://www.flyfishamerica.com/conten...arbon-vs-nylon

"Nylon monofilament is a lot like spaghetti—it absorbs water in copious quantities. Trying to pull a piece of dry spaghetti apart end to end is tough, but as soon as it gets cooked (i.e., it has absorbed a bunch of water) it pulls apart with ease. That’s an extreme example, but you get the picture.

In reality, nylon monofilament will absorb up to about 10% of its weight in water. Water absorption is a mixed blessing. On the upside, nylon monofilament that has absorbed water becomes more limp and supple, and makes knot tying easier. On the downside, water-logged nylon monofilament swells, increasing its diameter, reducing its break strength by about 20% (i.e., 10-pound test becomes 8-pound), and increasing its elongation (stretch) by 25% to 30%."

Professional competitive fishers have been soaking their line in water (and sealing it in wet zip lock bags) for a long time now, as it gives an edge in competition.

In the case of string trimmer line, the cheapest lines are simply pure nylon monofilament (just like plain old timey fishing line), while some more expensive lines include aramid for greater strength as well as shock resistance, plus resistance to welding.

By soaking the string in water, it may have a lower tensile strength, but the weight increase gives it more momentum at the tip, which causes it to cut more while flexing less. This will make it last longer.
Also, the additional stretchiness will help it flex at the eyelets without breaking.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I talked to a man at the Desert Extrusion booth at GIE-EXPO several years ago. He said that in the manufacturing process there is a percentage of water used in the trimmer line. When the line dries out over time it get more brittle. He recommended soaking the line in water but not more than once.

For years now I have cut line to the lengths that I need and keep it in an ice cream bucket with a little water in the bottom. The fresh line is always more pliable than the last of the line in the trimmer head. One place where I notice a difference in the water soaked line and the dried out line is in a cemetery that I mow. It works for me.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weve View Post
He recommended soaking the line in water but not more than once.
Why not soak it more than once?
Old 07-30-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess we use it fast enough that it never becomes brittle...Meanwhile I'll drink the water instead.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-30-2012, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
I guess we use it fast enough that it never becomes brittle...Meanwhile I'll drink the water instead.
Posted via Mobile Device
Just make sure to remove the trimmer line first.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Maybe ther line you're using is old and brittle. Try soaking it for about 24 hours in a bucket of water. Just set the entire spool down in and make sure it is totally submersed. It works wonders at restoring brittle line, and many line manu's recommend doing so.

Also, make sure you don't wind the line too tightly. Don't leave it loose and sloppy on the spool, but many guys wind it too tightly and have feeding and breaking issues with it.
this.

mine has done that after sitting in the warm shop and just gets brittle, I bought a new spool and it was fine. I then took the other spool and left it in a bucket of water over night and it was fine.

Never tried WD-40 but seems like it would work.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldbeefman View Post
I bought me a new Husqavarna weedeater and the string keepes breaking off in the head when I edge with it! I switched from 105 to 95 line thinking it might be getting twisted or the 105 might be old and brittle. I tried winding it fast, slow, with my finger dividing the line. It trims fine, but when I turn it upside down the string breaks off inside the head. And today, it seemed like one line would break off in the head and then the other line would shortly. I'm going through a spool real quick and having to stop every fifteen feet to reline is about to push me to the limit. I felt like chunking the thing today. Do I need a new head or what? (fixed line, single, auto feed) If this keeps up I'm going to buy me a stick edger sooner than I planned.
try not to wind the string on the spool so tight I use stihls Just my theory works for me tho
Old 04-20-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Soak your spool of string in a bucket of water over night. It will help. Most folks don't but it make the string more durable.. It dries out quite a bit after it's produced and you don;t know when it actually was made so give it a try. Works for me.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

use an edger instead.