Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-10-2006, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Breaking News to the Industry!

This will matter to Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana the most but also matters to all. GroundMasters was just sold to Brickman!!!
Here is the article below from L&L.

Lawn & Landscape Magazine » News »

Brickman Acquires Ohio-Based GroundMasters
By Heather Wood
11/6/2006

Brickman hopes to increase its presence in southern Ohio with the acquisition of Cincinnati-based GroundMasters.

Brickman, which serves commercial clients in 23 states with maintenance, landscape architecture and construction services, is taking over GroundMasters, the Ohio Valley’s largest provider of commercial landscape installation, maintenance and irrigation services, with seven locations throughout the tri-state region. GroundMasters owner Mike Rorie will remain with the company as a vice president, as will the existing management team.

“I first met Mike Rorie 10 to 12 years ago at an ALCA (Associated Landscape Contractors of America) event,” said Brickman President and CEO Scott Brickman. “We ended up golfing together and had seen each other over the years and kept in touch. We decided our two organizations can do a lot together as opposed to competing.”

Rorie and his leadership team, including Chris Hayes and Gary Kuykendall, will continue to oversee the Cincinnati, Dayton and Louisville markets. Their branches will be known at first as GroundMasters Division of Brickman and transition into the Brickman name in the next year or two.

“Having developed GroundMasters into a regional leader in the Ohio Valley and Kentucky over the past 27 years, I’m always focused on the future of our organization,” explained GroundMasters President, Mike Rorie. “The opportunity to continue growing our business has just taken a quantum leap by joining Brickman. Becoming part of the nation’s leading commercial landscape provider is a tremendous achievement for our management teams, staff and clients. The values and cultures of our two organizations are parallel. We are all very excited for this tremendous opportunity.”

Brickman said the company doesn’t perform many acquisitions, but echoed Rorie’s comment that the two companies’ cultures are similar, which will help create a smooth transition.

“For both of us, our primary focus is on landscape maintenance management, long-term customer relationship and we have highly tenured employees,” he said. “We see things very similarly.”

For more information, visit www.brickmangroup.com

Monday, November 6, 2006

» Post your comments on this story on the Lawn & Landscape Message Board

© 1997-2006, GIE Media, Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms and Conditions
Old 11-10-2006, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

brickmans doing there thing damn... any idea how much they paid?

whats brickmans annual sales compared to groudmasters

^^ I drive a 55k daily driver and a 5k work truck while every other lco owner is the opposite and would rather drive an f550 as an everyday car

Work like a slave eat like a king
Old 11-10-2006, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

GroundMasters brought in $22,000,000 in 2005 and Brickman brought in
$420,000,000 last year.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ultimately, Brickman and few like them with turn this into a commodity type business....they will do a 1/4 lot for $5 and offer upsell services. With enough bux behind them, you can't compete with that...the little guy I mean.

If Brickman does a decent job, then the market value is now at $5/ 1/4 acre

So, you gotta have a niche and be real good at it in the next 5-10 years. Think of Walmart on a mower!

Maybe in 5 years, you gotta be both a lawnguy and a handyman. People are only going to get busier...which means they will want more one-stop shopping.

Better hope Brickman doesn't start hiring handymen for their other division....but I guess thats where its going anyway, right??
Old 11-11-2006, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know this is frustrating, but I like to think of myself as someone who set out to get away from it all.

Anytime someone lowballs it costs that company money. Now there are some folks out there who think businesses grow money on backyard trees, but we know this ain't true!
Fact is, that money has to come from somewhere, and in the case of a large outfit like that, it comes straight out of the employees pocket.

That's one reason I couldn't stand it anymore, on top of the bs they feed the employee when any fool can plainly see where the money is going, is to have to tolerate sub-standard wages and have to bust your tail for it, too.

So, somebody always pays the price, a $5 1/4 acre isn't really as free as it appears... So long you provide an individual-to-individual / personalized and high quality service, you have the edge in a corner much like they do.

The bigger a company grows, the further the head gets from the arse, and once a certain distance exists between those two, it's a lost cause as far as getting any meaning in, out, or through that place.
You won't get the same detail of attention with a big place like that, you can't call the guy who is going to work on your yard, things get lost in the communications array, and there are a ton more differences, all of which affect the big company as well.

While it can and does hurt, Brickman will likely continue on its juggernaut path which, if you play it smart, only helps us eliminate the fly-by-nighter without extra effort on our part anyway.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate to tell you but groundmasters and brickman both are on the high priced zone. Also they would not even think about mowing a 1/4 acre lot they only do commercial jobs most being quite large to the point that most could not even think about doing. They do not scare me at all I have a niche and my customers love my service and price does not always matter, I have sometimes been double the price of the large companies but I always get the job, every time. All it takes is to know how to sell, treat customers and to truly know what your doing. There will ALWAYS be enough jobs for everyone but everyone will have improve there service, efficiency and quality. It's easy really you just have to know how to use it to your advantage.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Enough with the lowballing comments... Guaranteed each division profits alot more than 99% of other companies.. Its efficiency most the time that lets these big companies price so low

ex. My comp has 2 employees most the time sometimes 3 on maintenance and there are countless times where an lco has 4-5 employees on the same exact lot size and we get done sooner or the other times they might save at most 1 minute So why cant i price a lawn $2 less when my overhead is alot lower and im achieving my desired hourly wages. Im sure everyone can agree that sooo many lcos piss away money when they dont need to and they are usually the ones who jump on the calling everyone a lowballer bandwagon

some of the biggest moneymakers around here are "lowballers". If thats the way the industry is headed and you cant figure out how to survive then quit now and switch careers before its too late

^^ I drive a 55k daily driver and a 5k work truck while every other lco owner is the opposite and would rather drive an f550 as an everyday car

Old 11-12-2006, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a friend who was a branch manager with brickman. he told me they ran on 6 to 7% margins when it came to maintenance but it balanced out with the huge volume they do and like someone else said on upsells. some how they sell almost every service to every customers... and the commercial market is going to get tougher with more and more of the big boys through aquisitions and mergers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJLandscapes
Enough with the lowballing comments... Guaranteed each division profits alot more than 99% of other companies.. Its efficiency most the time that lets these big companies price so low

some of the biggest moneymakers around here are "lowballers". If thats the way the industry is headed and you cant figure out how to survive then quit now and switch careers before its too late
Old 11-12-2006, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintNoFun
i have a friend who was a branch manager with brickman. he told me they ran on 6 to 7% margins when it came to maintenance but it balanced out with the huge volume they do and like someone else said on upsells. some how they sell almost every service to every customers... and the commercial market is going to get tougher with more and more of the big boys through aquisitions and mergers.

bingo theres the answer upsell everything is what makes them richer

our weekly maintenance prices are lower than most but our cleanups are as much as 50% higher than everyone else and we price side jobs slightly higher so for the year we end up making more per house than most companies... Kind of a mini scam but if people are stupid i will take advantage of them they see "o boy they are cheaper" but dont realize for the year we are the same or more expensive

.... and everyones goal should be as an entrepeneur to turn into one the big boys am i right??? im sure most people when they started a grass company or any company in general there goal was to be a millionaire not an a mid level company making a living.. Like anyone with a pizza place wants to turn into dominos...anyone with a donut shop wants to turn into the next dunkin donuts etc.. brickman should be a goal to reach if you cant keep up in the commercial game with them then maybe become a huge residential compnay

Old 11-12-2006, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatewayuser
I hate to tell you but groundmasters and brickman both are on the high priced zone. Also they would not even think about mowing a 1/4 acre lot they only do commercial jobs most being quite large to the point that most could not even think about doing. They do not scare me at all I have a niche and my customers love my service and price does not always matter, I have sometimes been double the price of the large companies but I always get the job, every time. All it takes is to know how to sell, treat customers and to truly know what your doing. There will ALWAYS be enough jobs for everyone but everyone will have improve there service, efficiency and quality. It's easy really you just have to know how to use it to your advantage.
I am with you 100%. Do a great job and the business will be with you.

fluid film- the official sponser of sflqpru