Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-11-2006, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

can i have a card

all year long i have been stopped in parking lots, driveways and gas stations by people who ask for a business card because they need our kind of service. i usually ask if they have any questions about our service and answer all questions in what i feel is a professional manner. i have given out probably 50 cards in this way and to date i have never gotten a single call from any of these people.
what can i do to remedy this situation? is this the norm or am i leaving something out of the equation?

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My theory is to give a business card to anyone who will take one. From the sounds of it, I wouldn't say your doing anything wrong, keep passing them out, its not like their that expensive.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I would suggest maybe full color cards. I have these and always pwople are commenting on them. List as much info on them as well. Also people asking for them try to get info from them so you can follow up on the next rainy day.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingreen1
I would suggest maybe full color cards. I have these and always people are commenting on them. List as much info on them as well. Also people asking for them try to get info from them so you can follow up on the next rainy day.

these are professional made, black on white, very clean looking, with info on some services offered such as mowing, landscape install and maintenance, bushes trimmed. plantings, tilling and such.
you think full color would make them more memorable? hmmmm.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Bob
these are professional made, black on white, very clean looking, with info on some services offered such as mowing, landscape install and maintenance, bushes trimmed. plantings, tilling and such.
you think full color would make them more memorable? hmmmm.
Yes, I think it will be more outstanding if they were in color.

fluid film- the official sponser of sflqpru
Old 11-11-2006, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

the age old business theory is 1 sale per 100 cards, so your halfway there if you go with that old saying. Marketing researchers show that 1 paying lead is qualified for every 100 cards you disburse. Not sure how true this is but it's good to keep in the back of your mind. Also, Why only give them one? I always try and give 2 or 3 at a time to a person and have generated quit a few leads this way. Just my opinion, hope it helps.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsp24
the age old business theory is 1 sale per 100 cards, so your halfway there if you go with that old saying. Marketing researchers show that 1 paying lead is qualified for every 100 cards you disburse. Not sure how true this is but it's good to keep in the back of your mind. Also, Why only give them one? I always try and give 2 or 3 at a time to a person and have generated quit a few leads this way. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

the weird thing is that these people approach me. i get better results from the ones i hand out that i solicited.

Old 11-12-2006, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You never know when these people may call you. Might be tomorrow or 2 years down the road. Many people hang on to business cards for years. I say keep handing them out, cards are cheap.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 11-12-2006, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Member

www.overnightprints.com

cheap and great looking...my buddy designed mine, front and back, full color, and glossy coating...check it out...

another thing...when these people solicit you, set up an appointment right then.

I've just started out this fall. I've given out almost 20 bids so far. Only two haven't taken. I do most business through email (customer convience). On bids I make sure to tell the customer that they do not need to be present. I then email the bid and let them know when I can schedule them. So far this has worked great. I'm assuming that it is because the customer doesn't have to do anything but answer a couple emails at their leisure and write a check.

Just get their address and phone number and tell them you WILL give them an estimate. That's all they want, a friggin figure.

www.andrewlawn.com'>http://andrewlawn.com">andrewlawn.com
Old 11-12-2006, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I just stopped handing out cards.

If someone wants some work done, I say give me your phone number and a time that I can stop by and give you and estimate.

I tell them, sorry, I don't hand out cards because ........ whatever reason I feel like that day.