Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-12-2006, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCS
You never know when these people may call you. Might be tomorrow or 2 years down the road. Many people hang on to business cards for years. I say keep handing them out, cards are cheap.
That's right. I just picked up an account from a customer that I gave a card to over a a year ago. Some times it takes awhile.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Magnetic cards

Give out magnet cards. Yes they are expensive, but the potential customer will not lose it, if its on the side of their refrigerator.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's a bit like some form of reverse solicitation, but more along the same lines of two Lco's meeting to shoot the bull.

It wasn't meant to generate work or income...

You can play the numbers game or just tell them you don't have any on you (business cards, that is).
One way, just give them the card and hope it's over, thou you did just open a door or two.
Will they see it? If they do, it might go on for some time.
The other way you'll likely get some wide-eyed 'WHAAaaa, you have NOO business CARDS?!?!??!!'
So then you say 'nope sorry, sure dont'
And hopefully it's over shortly.

Some kinda inner demon, I can see what sparks the light bulb, from way back when before all this got started.
What I haven't figured out is how to keep their light bulb from sparking in the first place.

Last edited by topsites; 11-12-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the idea of setting an appointment then and there. How many of us find random business cards for people we meant to call when we clean our wallets, glove boxes, etc?

I try to make them WANT to hold onto my card. I love it when I'm at a nursery or stone center and I see a confused-looking homeowner. I'll chat 'em up about what they're doing and give them a little helpful advice. They always ask if I can jot down the name of that plant I said, so I more than willingly scribble it out on the back of my business card and send them on their way. Three minute interaction, costs me nothing, and puts my card in the hands of someone who views me as professional, knowledgeable AND approachable. The trick is knowing how to quickly get in, and quickly get out.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think I paid $33 for 500 cards a few years ago. The cards are plain black/white, with just name, address, phone, e-mail. It lists no services. I use the cards for personal use as well.

The $33 investment has reaped thousands of dollars in business. I am liberal at giving them out. I have a small leather wallet intended just for business cards. It is ALWAYS in my pocket when out of the house, except on Sunday. But, I have a few in my wallet.

If I cross paths with a contractor who is doing work I do not do, but I like his work, believe he is of good character, I will ask him for a half-dozen cards. In my briefcase, I have a stack of those cards with a rubber band. When somebody asks me about "do you know of somebody ...." I have a card to hand them. Many connections have been made this way. If I don't like the work, or don't want to have any relationship with the contractor, I just don't mention him to anybody else.

Business cards are a very inexpensive way to get your name before others. I am appalled at the times when I have asked somebody for a card, thinking I would hire them for some job, and they don't have any on them, don't have any at the truck, ran out of cards last year, etc. To me, that tells me something about their business practices, and I will not hire them.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

When I hand out business cards to "unknown's" and they start asking questions this has become my response. "Thank-you. I would love to come out and take a look at your job, but I don't have time to talk right now as I have a job I have to go to and I pride myself on not being late." I try not to give out too much information or waste my time, yet I want to be polite and professional and you never know whether you were talking to a lookie-loo or real potential customer.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The more people that know you and your business the better. Pass out as many as you can. That is why you have them, right?
Old 11-13-2006, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I gave a card out to a customer in june of 05. I was at a customers house giving an estimate, as I was walking back to my truck, another neighboor approached me and asked for a card. I said sure and we got talking for a few minutes about the services I offer. I didnt hear from him for a while.
Then in late Aug. or early Sept of 06, he called me for an estimate to aerate his property.

If a potential customer is seriously looking for someone, (and by how you describe it, your first impression is good) they will most likely hold onto your card for future reference.
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 11-13-2006, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I get about a 1000 cards for around $40.00. One job will pay for them, so I always pass them out anywhere I can.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a ton of cards from over the years. I use them all the time. I have used the same exhaust shop to do two truck exhaust systems and they will be doing my third soon.