Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-12-2006, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsMowing3535
I tried telling myself that if I get all A's I can get a Super Z next season but it just isn't motivation enough.
Try making a bet with you're parents or something, it's likely that they'd like to see you succeed in both fields anyway. I did practically the same thing, with football mixed in and baseball in the spring, and working for a 4.0. It takes a lot of determination and you've got to make sure that you don't give up on yourself. I spent many a morning (til' 3AM sometimes) to finish reports and such, usually because I didn't manage my time correctly. They say "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger," and in this case as long as you follow through with everything you do, you will be come 'stronger.' School basically teaches book smarts, social skills, and a little bit of responsibility. Working teaches character, responsibility, common sense, and some people skills. If you manage them both correctly, you should come out of it with them all. But just remember, enjoy yourself, and make the most of everything. JMO

Old 11-12-2006, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckylawns
pm said it well, i am also in school, i arranged to have all my courses in the morning, and then work all afternoon. one other thing you dont need to get all A's to be successful, just work on getting the diploma.
just my .2
thats what i am doing.

i think about it like this...its eitherwork part time after i get out of school for about 6 hours a day and make $7-8/hr. or i can cut 6 lawns (which would take 3-4hrs by myself) and make anywhere from $25-35 a lawn...

hell if u can get straight A's all through college then forget about cutting grass...u will be running a huge corporation a few years after you graduate and making MILLIONS!

if u are cutting grass..u are making money...and therefore can pay for ur own phone...its only about $50 a month

CLEAR-CUT Lawn & Landscape

Last edited by Clear-Cut; 11-12-2006 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know that I can pay for my phone but my parents will not LET me pay for my own phone they think that by keeping that from me I will somehow work and focus only on school to get it. Only if I focus only on school I dont need a phone. ..
Old 11-12-2006, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well for one your not stupid for being in school. Try to figure out how many clients you can take on without being stressed out from school or the the business. What are you in school for, if its anything to do with Lawncare or Landscaping learn all you can about the industry and how to run a business.GOOD LUCK
Old 11-12-2006, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i understand the situation you're in. i was cutting grass in high school as well. juggling football and baseball and grades was tough, but i somehow got through it. no i didn't make a 4.0, but a 3.6 was definitely good enough for me. don't let cutting grass rule your life while you're still in high school. i've spent the past 3 years of college rushing back and forth between home and school (home and college were an hour drive). and to be honest, i missed out on a lot of parties and just enjoying my weekends while in college. this year i'm going to school in my hometown and while it may be a lot easier to handle my yards and school during the week, i definitely would have changed the way i had done this three years ago. like pmlawn said, you have the rest of your life to focus on the business. you're only a teenager and in high school once, so make the most of it. trust me, the grass will still be growing when you graduate.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALawnboy
i understand the situation you're in. i was cutting grass in high school as well. juggling football and baseball and grades was tough, but i somehow got through it. no i didn't make a 4.0, but a 3.6 was definitely good enough for me. don't let cutting grass rule your life while you're still in high school. i've spent the past 3 years of college rushing back and forth between home and school (home and college were an hour drive). and to be honest, i missed out on a lot of parties and just enjoying my weekends while in college. this year i'm going to school in my hometown and while it may be a lot easier to handle my yards and school during the week, i definitely would have changed the way i had done this three years ago. like pmlawn said, you have the rest of your life to focus on the business. you're only a teenager and in high school once, so make the most of it. trust me, the grass will still be growing when you graduate.

SCHOOL,SCHOOL,SCHOOL including college. You can still work but do it slow enough to still go to school AND college when your done. YOU need a degree no matter what line of work you do in the future. It dont matter what the degree is in.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Since when is a "D" passing??? Man, I guess i have been out of high school way to long!! I graduated in 94, when having a cell phone was RARE and they were pretty much brand new! I remember just getting the Internet at school when i was a Junior, it was brand new too!! My how things have changed! I would balance both of them out equally as far as business and school, you need to have a high school education to get a job anywhere, so if your business fails atleast you can go flip burgers somewhere. As far as getting all B's so you can get a cell phone, it's really not that difficult of a thing to do, my kids use the computer and bang out there homework in like 15 minutes..... Totally wish I had access to this stuff, back in the "old days" we had to use the library or dictionary or worse yet... ENCYCLOPEDIA's!! but if you really want a cell phone for your business, and if your grades are getting closer to B's, just start having your clients calling your mom and dads home phone line..... Then we'll see how quickly they let you get a cell phone!! Or better yet, go buy a PREPAID T-Mobile phone, they work great and they cant stop you from buying one! Teaches you how to be responsible too, so all in all give it some thought, I would focus on school and your business, in my mind, they are always both important!
Old 11-13-2006, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

im a junior in high school and i have a 3.5 or so average i usally do school over landscaping... works fine for me i usally finish all my work in school then go home hookup my trailer and go
just get your priorties in order
whatever is left i do it when i get in
try talking to your teachers about it i have in the past and it actually turned out pretty well
i think i did pretty well this year juggling between school and landcaping
Old 11-13-2006, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I manage 14 weekly accounts, and am taking 4 honors classes out of 6, holding a 3.9/3.8.

Its not impossible, just try a little harder.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My feelings are based on this-- I am a homeowner,,,,, and I have a son in HS.
If i pay a pro to cut my grass, I expect it to be cut "about" the same day each week, every week. I also know that my son has projects that come up that take full weekends, or all night. Now what do you do??
Something has to give-- and I feel that a HS student should never give up on school effort. Just my feelings, what are you really risking here??