Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-12-2006, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Goals for my third year

Yes it is technicly my "third year" but really I would like to think of it as my first with profesional equipment and profesional attitude!

I am sorry If you all are tierd of looking at these but I saw the others and thought it may be nice to get some advice from the pro's!

2007 Season Mowing and Landscaping Goals

-15 Residential Lawns

-5 Spring Clean-ups

-20 Fall Clean-Ups

-Lay 15 yards of mulch
--------------------------
-Dethatching 15 lawns

-Aerating 15 lawns

-Slit Seeding 5 lawns
Gross Income
-$17,500

Everything below the dotted line is only if I get some used equipment from a local hardware store that is closeing. I think that setting these goals will make it eiser to achieve them dureing the school year. I also think that keeping the gross down at $17,500 I will have more time to focus on school and not have such a hard time achieveing them.
Please tell me what you think I really appreiciet all you tell me!
Thanks
Matt-
Old 11-13-2006, 05:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You are in HS right?
17K gross? spend maybe 10K to do the work. Spend all your extra time doing the work and maintenance. Screw up school to do the work. Have no social life and pocket less than 5K after taxes. WHY??
Go to school-- have a kids life-- work at Burger King with you buds.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont plan on paying any tax's until I am 18. I don't think one friend of mine has a job. Plus I figure I can knock out 5 lawns a day dureing the week so thats 3 days gone. And leave 1 more day a week and 1/2 of saturday to work lawns. The idea of haveing a regular kids like is not something I would like to do. Besides, I hate working indoors or haveing a boss.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

15 yards of mulch

I think you could sell more people on mulch, and a typical home that I do is between 10 and 15 yards of mulch alone at 2" thick. Mulch is a huge profit maker just make sure to buy the big plastic tub wheelbarrow that holds 10 cubic feet (twice as much as a standard Wheelbarrow)

We do landscape design, plants sales and delivery, full season landscape maintenance, mulch applications, edging installation, landscape bed installation, one time landscape renovations, spring and fall cleanups, and lawn maintenance division including mowing, fertility/weed control programs, and agronomics services.

Mike and Loriena Harrington

http://www.beautifulbloomslandscape.com
Old 11-13-2006, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I decided to change all of my goals slightly I thinks a gross of 30,000 would be more reliastic to achieve. I am getting one of the large double whell ones to use for mulch. I think maybe 80 yards is a better mulch goal becuse I just checked and I have 3 yards at 4,8,10 yards or so lined up for next spring so. I think 80 will be possible.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would you ever tell someone to work at Burger King, that is one of the dumbest things Ive heard here. I hope you were being sarcastic. IDK what you are charging but in HS I was doing the same amount of work at $30 per cut, $40/yard of mulch, $200/dethatching, $150/aerating, and $150-200 for splitseeding. The mulch, aerating, seeding, and dethatching will be done at the first of the year or the end of the year so it wont take that much time out of your schedule and Ive always found spring break during school a good time to get the mulch jobs knocked out. Mowing 15 yards a week should take you a few days after school assuming you get out at 3pm every day. Spring and fall cleanups can be done during the weekends to not screw up school work. That is not that much work to get done and high school is over rated anyways. Its not that hard to get good grades in high school. If you keep this proposed schedule you will have a MUCH better social life than your peers because you will have 5x the amount on your paycheck than everyone else that is working at burger king getting greasy and listening to a low life boss you around. Also, why not just rent the equipment from a local store rather than buying it?
Old 11-13-2006, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

While there are good things that come from running a biz while in high school, I think some guys overdo it...you can make good high school money and only mow a few lawns a week. If you're using every ounce of daylight each week that's another story.

And it doesn't hurt to work for a "lowlife" boss...shows you how NOT to act when you have employees yourself.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes working under someone is something I will need to learn. I am going to do a little landscape work with a freind of my mom's company this summer. I am not going to rent the equipment becuse the place is going out of buisness and selling it all (At auction) And I figure since it is the middle of december not many people will buy it. So I can get the equipment for the price of 3-4 rentals. A good deal if you ask me. Thanks everyone for all the tips! I will be getting out at 2:40 this year so I can work for a while and even though I cannot work spring break (One time I always go on a family vaction) I use all the daylight I can in the spring and fall. Becuse there really isnt much.
Thanks again everyone!
Matt-
Old 11-13-2006, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoetschOutdoor
Why would you ever tell someone to work at Burger King, that is one of the dumbest things Ive heard here. I hope you were being sarcastic. IDK what you are charging but in HS I was doing the same amount of work at $30 per cut, $40/yard of mulch, $200/dethatching, $150/aerating, and $150-200 for splitseeding. The mulch, aerating, seeding, and dethatching will be done at the first of the year or the end of the year so it wont take that much time out of your schedule and Ive always found spring break during school a good time to get the mulch jobs knocked out. Mowing 15 yards a week should take you a few days after school assuming you get out at 3pm every day. Spring and fall cleanups can be done during the weekends to not screw up school work. That is not that much work to get done and high school is over rated anyways. Its not that hard to get good grades in high school. If you keep this proposed schedule you will have a MUCH better social life than your peers because you will have 5x the amount on your paycheck than everyone else that is working at burger king getting greasy and listening to a low life boss you around. Also, why not just rent the equipment from a local store rather than buying it?
I think what he meant is don't give up your younger years and miss out on the great things that the youth enjoys
Old 11-13-2006, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BQLC
I think what he meant is don't give up your younger years and miss out on the great things that the youth enjoys
Yes you understood right-- BK was just used to make the point, running a business takes a lot of time. You will have 40+ years to run your business, Enjoy life as a kid-- nobody dies saying "I did not work enough"