Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-14-2006, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Terramite VS Allmand

HI All,

I have a need to buy a mini Loader / Backhoe and was wondering....size for size, which is better....The Terramite or the Allmand?....I usually use a full sized backgoe but for snaking into tight areas I think smaller is better.
Thanks for any and all input.
Andrew

PS - I have thought of a small or compact farm type tractor with a loader and adding an aftermarket backhoe but think maybe a dedicated unit is better?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What are you doing with it. I say get a mini track hoe

XW2200,XW2401,2006 XT3300 72 in,2013 Classic 3360;John Deere Gs30 Walkbehind,'85 Chevy 1 ton,03Chevy 3/4 ton,10 ft and 16 ft trailers,Redmax,Honda, and Shindaiwa handhelds
Old 11-15-2006, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

HI,
Thanks for the reply....I will be doing general light construction work and digging test holes for a soil scientist while he tests for perk sites on undeveloped land...
Being a smaller and more easily transportable unit I may also try to do more mulch jobs and light landscaping with it. A mini excavator has better digging power but I feel I would miss the front bucket.
Andrew
Old 11-15-2006, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have rented a tarramite about a half dozen times. Okay if there are not to many rocks. It seemed to be an okay machine. I like the idea of a small tractor with loader and 3point, you can mount a backhoe or several other pieces of equipment to it, get quite a bit of use out of one.

The terramite would strickly be a backhoe and loader no other attachments. Any amount of digging I would use a mini-ex, they usually have a blade to make backfilling and light grading possible.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 11-16-2006, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you want this instead

I've rented the terramite a couple of times, I doubt I will again. I just don't like it- slow hydraulics, etc. Please give this unit a demo, I'm sure its exactly what your looking for, just might be a little more than what you may have been planning on spending.

http://www.ditchwitch.com/dwcom/Prod...ductView/10718

www.greenmountainlandscape.com
Old 11-17-2006, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

HI,
That tool carrier looks nice but I'm sure probably costs out of my price range...at least for now...Currently I have been looking to spend about 10K on either an Allmand (which I lean towards so far) or a terramite...

Any other neat machines out there that I may have overlooked?....I did look at a
JD 4200 Tractor today....Diesel 4x4 with FEL and Woods 750 Backhoe...402 hrs on a like new looking machine...The owner wants 16K for it tho....While I like the fact it has a 3 pt hitch for being able to use other implements I will primarily be digging holes and have heard a few people say that dedicated is the way to go because it is overall more durable.....I lean towards the 10K just to be conservative and to make sure I can get enough work for the "new" (new to me that is) mini backhoe.

Thanks again

Andrew
Old 11-17-2006, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A Kubota B21 is a lot more machine than a Terramite, but you won't find one for $10K. New they run in the high 20s and used starting around $14K.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

a three point hitch backhoe is not very durable. It is extemely hard on the lift arms or subframe however it is installed. go with the B21 kubota your money will be safe because the resale will be good if you buy used or new.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi all,

Just to let you know I got lucky and actually found a Allmand TLB 25D only 10 miles from my house...It is in really good condition with only 876 hours and I got it for only $7250 So I had to get this one (I really wanted a 35 Series but at this price I could have this one and get another if really needed).

Andrew