Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2006, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Ferris Quality

I'm looking at buying a Ferris ZTR, but a friend of mine that has spent more time on here than me tells me he has read that the Ferris ZTR's cut quality isn't the best in the industry (talked like it was a common theme, but couldn't give me any specifics), do ya'll know of any specific cut quality issues with Ferris?

Also, is the patented suspension they promote all that? Does it make that much of a difference compared to other brands that don't have it?

Any other general quality issues w/Ferris?

Thanx.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly12
I'm looking at buying a Ferris ZTR, but a friend of mine that has spent more time on here than me tells me he has read that the Ferris ZTR's cut quality isn't the best in the industry (talked like it was a common theme, but couldn't give me any specifics), do ya'll know of any specific cut quality issues with Ferris?

Also, is the patented suspension they promote all that? Does it make that much of a difference compared to other brands that don't have it?

Thanx.
I have seen a few LCO's around here with Ferris's on their trailers, and only two of them mowing, and compared to something my chopper would do it looked terrable...

The cut look more comparable to a 6 year old 42" craftsmen rider...

And yes, the suspention is pretty good.. my friend and I were looking at them at the fair, and when he Sat on it, it sank....

I encourage you to look at what makes you the most money, and not the "best mower"... Dixie Choppers win the ugly contest every year, and have manual engagements, but for the dealer being in the middle of most of my accounts, and having so few repairs, I put up the with the deck adjustment, and poor ride quality...

When the ignorant rule, civilization is brought down to their level...
Old 11-18-2006, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly12

Thanx.

You want to talk to rodfather on this one. He runs Ferris and absoluetly loves them.

If you are going for cut quality, Dixie Chopper and the Exmark AS are the best in my opinion.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We run them exclusively. I think they cut fine. We've had 20 or so Ferris machines during the past 13 years. If you want to know more about their independent suspension, read my field test report in the September issue of Turf Magazine. We had a Ferris IS2000 Z for 2 months.

Currently we have 4 Ferris WB's and 4 Z's.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

My dealer used to carry Ferris until a dispute with the distributor. Every one I've ever seen cut pretty good. Also, they were pretty pricey in the past. Ferris is going dealer direct and the prices should come down a little.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We run Ferris and love them and to tell the truth I don't think there is gonna be a whole lot of difference in the cut on any of the higher end commercial mowers. It all comes down to the Ford,Chevy,Dodge,thing again. The cut I would think depends on how well you maintain the machines and if you know how to use them. I have seen people with exmarks cut encore's ferris's,scag and to tell the truth all of their cuts looked horrible because of their operators, blades not being sharpened enough. Or sharpened to where the blade recieds to a 1/4 inch further than when you bought it and it curves out to the end. Don't change the oil guess what your engine will suffer which will cause loss of power. Which will cause the blades to spin slower and then the cut quality will reduce. Don't leave your mowers out in the elements either that is a sure way to slow them down,Plus it makes them look like crap. They are not marine equipment people. They are just big lawnmowers. It drives me nuts when I see people that have a storage facility for their mowers but the mowers are all line up along the side of it, because they didn't want to take the time to open it up and drive each machine in. Oh well their loss.Hope this helps
Old 11-18-2006, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have an IS 3000 and I think it leaves a very good cut. The stock blades just don't seem to have enough lift though. A high lift blade works better if you have the power to run it. We just put on a new set of Oregon Fusions and they have done great so far. In normal 1 week growth it does fine but in taller stuff the cut quality will drop off a little but thats common for a lot of machines. It also handles wet grass well and the suspension really does make a difference. Rides a lot better than a rigid frame machine and scalps less.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunn's lawn service
We run Ferris and love them and to tell the truth I don't think there is gonna be a whole lot of difference in the cut on any of the higher end commercial mowers. It all comes down to the Ford,Chevy,Dodge,thing again. The cut I would think depends on how well you maintain the machines and if you know how to use them. I have seen people with exmarks cut encore's ferris's,scag and to tell the truth all of their cuts looked horrible because of their operators, blades not being sharpened enough. Or sharpened to where the blade recieds to a 1/4 inch further than when you bought it and it curves out to the end. Don't change the oil guess what your engine will suffer which will cause loss of power. Which will cause the blades to spin slower and then the cut quality will reduce. Don't leave your mowers out in the elements either that is a sure way to slow them down,Plus it makes them look like crap. They are not marine equipment people. They are just big lawnmowers. It drives me nuts when I see people that have a storage facility for their mowers but the mowers are all line up along the side of it, because they didn't want to take the time to open it up and drive each machine in. Oh well their loss.Hope this helps
Mine sit in the elements about half the time, because I have to move vehicles around and cram them in the back of my garage, which seems pointless when your just going to head out tommorow morning....

I would really like to try a ferris sometime, but I won't need a ZTR for at least 2-3 years...

When the ignorant rule, civilization is brought down to their level...