Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-22-2006, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I doubt a large landscape and design company needs to take maintenance work. I also doubt that there is any brown nosing involved. If you know who it is then simply give them a call and explain that that is your job and you have been doing it for 15 years. That you don't appreciate loosing money because your work is done for you. They may have made a mess with the mulch on the yard and it was easier to clean it all up than to try and pick the spilled mulch out of the leaves.
They probably don't know it is being maintained if it looks like a mess every time they come there. They might not even know about you at all.
So take it easy and deal with it. It's your job protect it.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Member

We ran into that a couple weeks ago we are under contract to do a HOA and some trees died about a year goes bye and they asked me for a bid to replace them (i did state to them they were dead) ok my crew shows up and theres another company blowing the leaves off the turf to remulch the landscaping thats great less work for us and a waste for him or he is kissin butt then i called my contact at the management firm talked to my contact she then stated that the were going to rebid this year...anyway i get this all the time.

Keep moving forward.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah it happens. One of my weekly mowing account has the bigger landscape company in town doing their mulch and pruning. Nothing you can really do about it, just move on.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

if this guys is responsible for dolingout contracts, maybe the landscape company had some "free" time and did some free work for th eguy....
Old 11-22-2006, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The way I see it you are the odd man out. While you have taken care of the property for a long time, you have not taken care of this customer. His relationship is with the large contractor. And a contractor that understands where his income comes from. My guess is that the clean-up was just "given" to the developer.
I would talk to the homeowner, but not to disagree with what happened, but to determine their expectations of you.
Communicate with them and do it with a open mind. A man that creates developments has the power to put many people to work.
Your feelings of stolen work can become joy of much added work
Old 11-22-2006, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes, the guy isn't trying to steal our account, he is just apple-polishing to get million dollar landscape jobs at new developments. He wants the work at the downtown highrises that Mr. Developer-Guy builds.

We had been at the house every week keeping it clean, so we weren't behind. In fact, they are our no. 1 priority, so we weren't neglecting them.

Besides, if he's just there to mulch the plants, why must he also clean the entire lawn and bed area? Normally, this company does not do maintenance.
100% design and build.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYMLscape
Besides, if he's just there to mulch the plants, why must he also clean the entire lawn and bed area? Normally, this company does not do maintenance. 100% design and build.
For the same reason you go above and beyon for your clients....I had some clients that never paid for any flowers or any fertilizer. why did I give them the material or labor...Iknew that I'd get itback in spades ont he next job. He did it, and this is a hard concept for some people....to be nice....

Yeah it sucks that he took money out of your pocket, but he also just saved his sugar daddy some money...
Old 11-22-2006, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

We're in the commercial parking lot maintenance business. Sounds like the same thing we do. We land a big parking lot sealcoat job, we always throw in sealing the owners/managers residence. Im sure many of those people had someone else doing it for years, but theyre not going to turn down a freebie from us.

To me spending a couple hundred dollars on material for a property manager or owner is well worth it considering the work we get.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
I will say thou...

In the case of leaves, I would be RELIEVED someone else did them LOL!

Just had a guy call me to tell me he did it himself, man was I glad (and I told him, too).
It might burn a little if I had drove all the way out,
but there's not much love lost when it comes to leaves,
if they're already done that's true relief.
haha i cant complain either. Season is one yard closer to being done also

^^ I drive a 55k daily driver and a 5k work truck while every other lco owner is the opposite and would rather drive an f550 as an everyday car

Work like a slave eat like a king
Old 11-24-2006, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener
People, People.. The world does not revolve around us, we are about as low on the totem pole as you can get. I think many people take this stuff way too personally. The guy that owns the big design build co is not trying to take work from you in fact he probably has not thought for a minute about you. He has a good client he wants to keep happy and does what it takes.

The fact that there was lag time between when you were given the work and they came and did it says one or two things. Either the job was not a priority to you or you are behind or both. The way you get to be a big design build firm is not by stealing work (thats not what he did by the way) he was being aggressive to gain more work.

You have built your company in a way that has been pleasurable for you both, its like a hobby that you are enjoying and getting paid to do and thats great. I don't doubt you ability or knowledge. In fact you are probably do a better job and are more knowledgeable than the evil design build firm.

But he is running a business not for fun but for pure profit. He has lots of people depending on him to make payroll every week. Making sure one of his big fish is taken care of is just the cost of doing business. You would do better to invite the owner of the design build firm to lunch express you concerns and try and work together.

Or you can toss in the towel and dump the account. But complaining to a developer of all people will only cause you to loose face.

It sounds like you are in the upper end residential market like myself. I feel if the client has had to ask for something I have dropped the ball, and I do drop the ball more often than I would like. But I know which balls I am dropping, its not the 2-3K per month account its the 5-600 per mo account. I would suggest being more proactive getting the work done sooner. Calling the other contractor letting them know "hey we will be mulching etc. on this day".

I deal with other contractors all the time, you just have to be out in front of everything communicating to everyone. For all the whiners that are going to reply its not your job to do all that, its not worth the grief yada yada yada. All I can say is enjoy you view from wher you are because with that attitude you wont get too far.
Ditto. Exactly my thoughts.