Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-24-2006, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Member

I have to agree that I don't think the other company was trying to "steal" work from you. I agree with many of the others that have said that the other company was most likely trying to keep a high paying customer happy. They may have given your customer that $500 job or whatever as as a customer appretiation token for all the business that your customer does with their company. Unfortunetely things like this do happen some of the time. If it becomes regualr habit then, I would reconsider my business relationship. However I don't think that there was any maliciousness intended. The thing I have had and heard of being a problem is people stealing your yard signs.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Happens to us allll the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlawn
The thing I have had and heard of being a problem is people stealing your yard signs.
Every year........20-40 signs ....vanish!

Dennis
Old 11-25-2006, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Confront the homeowner and the bussiness seperatly and ask them what is happening here. Ask homeowner ''If I wasn't to complain right now, would I have just beem phased out completely?'' And ask the landscaper ''Did the homeowner sign a contract saying that you are doing the clean-ups now?'' I am curious what the responces would be.

6.5'x10.5' dual axle trailer-FULL of equip.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealtim
Confront the homeowner and the bussiness seperatly and ask them what is happening here. Ask homeowner ''If I wasn't to complain right now, would I have just beem phased out completely?'' And ask the landscaper ''Did the homeowner sign a contract saying that you are doing the clean-ups now?'' I am curious what the responces would be.
I just post this for newbies that may not want to read the whole post.

What in the ***do you hope to gain by confronting anyone! You are a contractor working for the pleasure of the homeowner. You have no rights except to get paid for work you have completed period. If you think otherwise it may soothe your ego but it wont put any money in your bank account. Advising others to be confrontational with a customer is irresponsible.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener
You are a contractor working for the pleasure of the homeowner. You have no rights except to get paid for work you have completed period.

Agree!!!! This is a perspective that is too often missed in these kinds of threads. The "hiring party" and the "hired party" are too often mixed up, setting up unreasonable expectations.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
You are a contractor working for the pleasure of the homeowner. You have no rights except to get paid for work you have completed period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
Agree!!!! This is a perspective that is too often missed in these kinds of threads. The "hiring party" and the "hired party" are too often mixed up, setting up unreasonable expectations.
I agree with both Az Gardener and Roger. If you approach the home owner, having a little humility will get you alot further than coming off as having an entitlement attitude.

In that situation I would probably let the home owner know that I had planned to do the job, as I have done in the past, but that I saw they had gotten someone else to do it. I'd then inquire if they were unhappy with my services and if they were, I'd appreciate the opportunity to correct the matter.

Idealtim...if I, as a homeowner, was confronted like that by a serviceman, I'd settle up my bill then and there and tell you that your services were no longer needed.

Andy
Old 11-27-2006, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If I were you, I would look at this from an opportunity standpoint but first lets look at the facts. Your customer has a larger company that takes care of all of his commercial sites. You take care of his home with the exception of the landscaping. Your beef is that when the larger company comes to do the landscaping, they are also going above board and also cleaning your customers leaves, that you would normally do and bill for. However, since they are doing it, you can't do it and bill for it so you are loosing money. Sound right?

1. The customer doesn't care as long as the work gets done.
2. The larger customer is not trying to steal your work, they just want to make sure their customer is happy so that they can keep the commercial jobs and the landscaping work.

Now listen. This is opportunity knocking. Determine how many times you go out and would normally remove leaves during the year. Now multiply this number by the $'s you charge each time. Now you have a total amount for leaf clean-up for the year. Do the same thing for all of the services you provide this customer. Add it all up, divide by 12 or 9 or however many months you wish them to pay you by month and problem solved. You go out there and there are no leaves to clean up, pick up the five leaves that are in the yard and your done. End of story and you still get paid.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightergw
Now listen. This is opportunity knocking. Determine how many times you go out and would normally remove leaves during the year. Now multiply this number by the $'s you charge each time. Now you have a total amount for leaf clean-up for the year. Do the same thing for all of the services you provide this customer. Add it all up, divide by 12 or 9 or however many months you wish them to pay you by month and problem solved. You go out there and there are no leaves to clean up, pick up the five leaves that are in the yard and your done. End of story and you still get paid.
Thats Using the grey matter....ammortized billing wins again....
Old 11-27-2006, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
People, People.. The world does not revolve around us, we are about as low on the totem pole as you can get. I think many people take this stuff way too personally. The guy that owns the big design build co is not trying to take work from you in fact he probably has not thought for a minute about you. He has a good client he wants to keep happy and does what it takes.

The fact that there was lag time between when you were given the work and they came and did it says one or two things. Either the job was not a priority to you or you are behind or both. The way you get to be a big design build firm is not by stealing work (thats not what he did by the way) he was being aggressive to gain more work.

You have built your company in a way that has been pleasurable for you both, its like a hobby that you are enjoying and getting paid to do and thats great. I don't doubt you ability or knowledge. In fact you are probably do a better job and are more knowledgeable than the evil design build firm.

But he is running a business not for fun but for pure profit. He has lots of people depending on him to make payroll every week. Making sure one of his big fish is taken care of is just the cost of doing business. You would do better to invite the owner of the design build firm to lunch express you concerns and try and work together.

Or you can toss in the towel and dump the account. But complaining to a developer of all people will only cause you to loose face.

It sounds like you are in the upper end residential market like myself. I feel if the client has had to ask for something I have dropped the ball, and I do drop the ball more often than I would like. But I know which balls I am dropping, its not the 2-3K per month account its the 5-600 per mo account. I would suggest being more proactive getting the work done sooner. Calling the other contractor letting them know "hey we will be mulching etc. on this day".

I deal with other contractors all the time, you just have to be out in front of everything communicating to everyone. For all the whiners that are going to reply its not your job to do all that, its not worth the grief yada yada yada. All I can say is enjoy you view from wher you are because with that attitude you wont get too far.

Well said.

Whenever my guys install a landscape, hardscape, or water feature it is protocol to clean up the yard around the serviced area. If the job is within 15 mi., I will have a maintenance crew stop by and mow the whole property. Couple reasons:
1. Wow factor for the client when they first see the completed job
2. Under Promise and Over Service
3. My foreman are supposed to take pics when the job is completed, do you think I want a cluttered lawn around a new landscape? It would be like taking a picture with a white shirt with a big red stain across the front of the shirt.

JMO