Register free!

Old 11-21-2006, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

need help for price: fixing some ruts.

a commercial account i cut for had a big dual rear wheeled truck drive over the lawn...according to the measure feature on goodle earth the ruts are 80 feet long.

i have fixed ruts for these people before in the exact same spot..but they were only about 1/3 as long....as you can tell, this is a very popular spot for people to drive on...dont ask me why.

when i fixed the ruts before i charged 350 bucks, it took me about 2 or 3 hours, and took 1.5 yards of loam.....all i did was fill them in and squash down the ground around the ruts that oozed up when the tire went through.

they were very pleased with the way it came out before.

the lady told me that the gas company agreed to pay for the ruts...so the money comes from the gas company and not from the customer...

if you look in the pic, where you see the two red lines...that is exactly where the tires went through.

so what do i charge??
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2006, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

it it was 350 for 1/3 of the work then charge 1050 for this job. easy enough.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Didn't I see this thread months ago somewhere else?

Bid it as backfill and repair. It is a quite simple bid. Topsoil, seed, fert, sod if needed, equipment, mh, betting (if needed), lawn staples (if needed), ect.

Come on man, I believe you can bid this one yourself.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

personally I think it would be a lot easier in this situation to just have a skidsteer with a rock hound hit it- subbing it out should cost you maybe $250, hit it with some seed- 50lb bag will be more than enough $60, than if you want it to come out really good cover it with PennMulch (I posted a picture of what you get just 5 days later) 2 bags will do it -$30. Your time on the job 40minutes- bill them $600 and go onto another job that day.

www.greenmountainlandscape.com
Old 11-21-2006, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=148336

this is the tread with pics that shows what i fixed before...the "new" ruts go in exactly the same spot, but they extend all the way down the lawn until they reach the pavement on the other side.

i dont want to sub it out.

i think its going to be a little harder this time becuase in the spring when i fixed them the first time, the ground was real soft and smoothed out perfect with a tamper....but now the grounds hard and dry....so i dont know how i'm going to smooth it out this time.

maby if i rototilled it??

in all seriousness can you guys tell me what you would charge for something like this?
Old 11-22-2006, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdawrlus
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=148336

this is the tread with pics that shows what i fixed before...the "new" ruts go in exactly the same spot, but they extend all the way down the lawn until they reach the pavement on the other side.

i dont want to sub it out.

i think its going to be a little harder this time becuase in the spring when i fixed them the first time, the ground was real soft and smoothed out perfect with a tamper....but now the grounds hard and dry....so i dont know how i'm going to smooth it out this time.

maby if i rototilled it??

in all seriousness can you guys tell me what you would charge for something like this?
Read your own posts. I think you answered your own questions. 3x the work + some rototilling=3x+ original price. You might try selling them on some type of barrier to prevent it from happening again. A couple of Norway Spruce would work nice. Looks like trucks trying to drive around other trucks is whats causing it.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdawrlus
....in all seriousness can you guys tell me what you would charge for something like this?..i dont want to sub it out.......maby if i rototilled it

Okay, I did tell you how much to charge, and the fastest way to get it fixed Time is money, if you were to rototill it that would take you all day- pay someone to rockhound it, it will take 25 minutes than you can finish it up and go do something else that makes you money!

Old 11-22-2006, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Turn the sprinkler system on then take a ZTR mower and drive over and smooth it out, works for us all the time. Throw a fine coating of composite and soil to level. The charge them to put some big rocks all along the area and that will stop further expense.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the local gas company charged me 450 the other day for 10 mins of work when i dug in to there gas line the other day. so if it was me i would charge them 2700 an hour just like they did me. hey if they can do it to me ......
still pissed about paying that bill
agri metal strawblower
more power and hand tools than i haul
Old 11-22-2006, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammon landscaping
the local gas company charged me 450 the other day for 10 mins of work when i dug in to there gas line the other day. so if it was me i would charge them 2700 an hour just like they did me. hey if they can do it to me ......
still pissed about paying that bill
I bet they waited until friday after 4 so it could be billed double time and they brought 3 trucks for 4 guys