Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-23-2006, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grn Mtn
Okay, I did tell you how much to charge, and the fastest way to get it fixed Time is money, if you were to rototill it that would take you all day- pay someone to rockhound it, it will take 25 minutes than you can finish it up and go do something else that makes you money!
i dont even know what rockhounding is?

i'm mostly working with my dad doing carpentry work right now, but i can find time to do this....he is very flexible with hours.

i really want to do the whole thing start to finish myself, i really dont have the "connections" to sub it out...and i'm not that great of a salesman.

as far as the gas company charging a crazy 450 for ten minutes of work, that brings up another question.

if i rototill but only go down 3 or 4 inches....and i hit something....whos responsible?? around here everythings supposed to be down 18 inches....i really doubt i'd hit something but theres always the chance.

to till it up, smooth it out, and fill in whatever needs to be filled i'm thinking 900 including materials and rototiller rental.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess
Turn the sprinkler system on then take a ZTR mower and drive over and smooth it out, works for us all the time. Throw a fine coating of composite and soil to level. The charge them to put some big rocks all along the area and that will stop further expense.
i wish it was that easy...but these ruts are 8+ inches deep in some spots...and the ground on the outside of the ruts bulged up as the tire went through....i need to lower these high spots (tiller) and fill the low spots (loam)
Old 11-23-2006, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammon landscaping
the local gas company charged me 450 the other day for 10 mins of work when i dug in to there gas line the other day. so if it was me i would charge them 2700 an hour just like they did me. hey if they can do it to me ......
still pissed about paying that bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdawrlus
as far as the gas company charging a crazy 450 for ten minutes of work, that brings up another question.

if i rototill but only go down 3 or 4 inches....and i hit something....whos responsible?? around here everythings supposed to be down 18 inches....i really doubt i'd hit something but theres always the chance.

to till it up, smooth it out, and fill in whatever needs to be filled i'm thinking 900 including materials and rototiller rental.
sounds like you guys need to learn how to do a utility locate.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdawrlus
i wish it was that easy...but these ruts are 8+ inches deep in some spots...and the ground on the outside of the ruts bulged up as the tire went through....i need to lower these high spots (tiller) and fill the low spots (loam)
Anything that could be damaged by a rototiller has already been crushed by the truck tires. I don't think a tiller will work. One tire will be in the ditch and it'll be hard to keep it in a straight line. Try a Matlock. Do you know what an Adz is? Looks just like it, kinda. It's a pick with a broad blade on one side. It'll take a while, but you'll get it done.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If the ruts are 8" deep you'll be lucky if some components of the irrigation system arent crushed or damaged.

just haul in some topsoil and fill in the trenches rake it out level. throw some seed out.

Charge as much as you can get away with!!

Since 1994
www.kosterirrigation.com
Old 11-23-2006, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURFLORD
Anything that could be damaged by a rototiller has already been crushed by the truck tires. I don't think a tiller will work. One tire will be in the ditch and it'll be hard to keep it in a straight line. Try a Matlock. Do you know what an Adz is? Looks just like it, kinda. It's a pick with a broad blade on one side. It'll take a while, but you'll get it done.
i get what your saying...i've never used a rototiller...so i didnt think of the tire thing.

as for the adz thing, it sounds like a really good idea...i'm not afraid of a little bit of hard work, i think it would only take a couple hours to cut down.

after i cut the edges down i would just go get a couple yards of loam and start filling them in.

so since this is going to be well over 3X the work that it was before, and i charged 350 before.....is 900 outrageous?? cheap, too much??
Old 11-24-2006, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

a rockhound is an attachment for a skidsteer, it has a bunch of spinning blades that flail through the top 4" +/- of earth and flick up any rocks into a hopper. its designed to give you a finished seed ready lawn.

subbing it out is as easy as looking in the paper for someone advertising rockhound work and tell him you need 80' x 10' of tractor trailer ruts smoothed out so you can seed it.

every state has a "dig safe" number, look on your state or counties web site and they will have a link. its free and helps you out. they will provide you with any info or questions.

if you really want to do this all by yourself, go to home depot and rent the prodigy. its a little stand-on mini skidsteer, complete with trailer and will cost you about $175. Tow it out to the site, hook up the rototiller attachment and go nuts, then put on the soil leveler or bucket and smooth it out, bring a landscape rake(36" wide) with you and a light duty roller(300lb). use the rake and do final leveling, apply seed and starter fert, roll it, hit it with a leaf rake lightly and collect your money. Just remember seed doesn't grow without water, so if no irrigation, use pennmulch.

www.greenmountainlandscape.com
Old 11-24-2006, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i went and looked at these ruts again today....(i havent seen them for about a month) and i think they'll smooth out real real easy...i think the ground is soft enough to use a big tamper to pound the ground down....i'm pretty confident that since they paid 350 before i can get 900 for these....i will post back with updates.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thrusday morning those jerks 2 guys in 2 pickup trucks 150's too
and they used my backhoe to dig it up
agri metal strawblower
more power and hand tools than i haul
Old 11-25-2006, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammon landscaping
thrusday morning those jerks 2 guys in 2 pickup trucks 150's too
and they used my backhoe to dig it up