Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

17 years old, with a 4 year business

Hey how's everybody. I'm 17 years old, 18 December 29th. I started about 4 years ago cutting grass for other people. But I was on my dads tractor long before that. I started off with a 1984 John Deere. I got my first job at the local VFW. And I still do today. And it started off from there. People let me use their stuff here and there. My great uncle who passed away (finnally) bought me a commercial weed trimmer. Then he said I could have his commercial edger as long as I worked it off. So when people seen me doing it I got more and more jobs. I did loose a few, but what the heck. Then when my uncle got his leg cut off, I took his handheld blower. He gave me his 2 push mowers. I bought my self a top of the line stihl BP Blower BR 420 magnum. Then just this past year, Stihl came out with brand new BR 600. So I traded mine in for that. Then in September I bought my self a 2006 simplicity Regency. 24hp 50" deck. I use our old 1996 mini van and my uncles 6x12 landscaping trailer. It works Ok, I don't want to use my 03 avalanche and get it beet up. So I think I'm going to trade in my van for a 96 3/4 ton chevy from my uncle. Plus my avalanche and my dads Hummer H2 won't hold a lot of stuff in the back. So I think I'm off to a pretty good start, I am going in partnership with a person loosing his job after about 30 years of working at one place. He has more equipment, so I look forward to that. What do you guys think.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think that you dont have much of any idea on how to run a business
Old 11-22-2006, 02:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I admire your dedication, but there's so much more to running a business than anything a 17 year old, or most 27 year olds, could possibly understand well enough to stand in a cut-throat business like this.

These young men you see on here are not doing as well as they want you to believe. Trust me on this one: if you're still young enough to do something else with your life...do something else. Go to school and get a degree in business. I bet your professor will have better idea than landscaping or lawn care.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why do you think that I have no idea how to run a business. People always say that I do the billing, cuttings and estiments like how the big guys do it. I keep track of how much I make. Who I owe money too, and who owes me money. I have statments that look like how the big guys do. I get a lot of compiments. And I am very pro about everything. People call me up. I talk to them about their lawn. And I give them a price. And so on. How do you think I don't know how to run a business. I'll admit I don't do as well as the other people SAY they are doing. But I do this for fun, and for something to do.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team-Green L&L
I admire your dedication, but there's so much more to running a business than anything a 17 year old, or most 27 year olds, could possibly understand well enough to stand in a cut-throat business like this.

These young men you see on here are not doing as well as they want you to believe. Trust me on this one: if you're still young enough to do something else with your life...do something else. Go to school and get a degree in business. I bet your professor will have better idea than landscaping or lawn care.
Howz about this for being 18, 32 weekly customers and going to college to be a landscape technician. I'll keep holding it down in landscaping and snow, what other businesses are out there that rely on you 365 day's a year.

Keep it up there buddy, but I don't think you'll ruin your avalanch though, I usually just put everything on my trailer, nothing touches my truck. It would look alot more professional than some clown running around in a mini-van
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2006, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzkid316
People call me up. I talk to them about their lawn. And I give them a price. And so on. How do you think I don't know how to run a business.
You don't look at the lawn first? Just give estimates over the phone?
Old 11-22-2006, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not that stupid to just give estimates over the phone. I go there right away when they call. As soon as they call I try to go right over there to make a good first impression. And I'm going to by myself a 3/4 ton truck for doing all my work, and stuff for next season. So I won't be driving around in my mini-van.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzkid316
And I'm going to by myself a 3/4 ton truck for doing all my work, and stuff for next season.
What kinda truck you plan on getting?
Old 11-22-2006, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am buying it from my uncle, so I know where it has been. It is a Red 1996 Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton 4x4 W/T, Extended cab long box, witha 350 engine.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Look up some of my pics...Im only 20...and you really should be in this business unless you have more experience, I go to school for horticulture and could out sell a lot of guys around here by just the knowledge I have gained in school. How did you get the avalance? rents buy it for you?
James
Closed Thread