Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My uncle owns his own lawn care, and he cuts grass up in grand rapids, and he tought me how to get started, and showed me a few tricks, and stuff like that, so I have a lot of experience. One of my customers said I did stuff a lot easier then the lawn service that they use to have.
And yes my parents bought me the avalanche. They own a bunch of fancy cars and stuff like that. But I'm, (keyword I"m) buying that truck for my self with my own money just for pulling around my stuff.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wizzkid....I've been doin' this kinda stuff for a long time. If this is what you want to do right now, go for it and don't even give an ear to the negative stuff you may hear. I started my first landscape company in California while going to junior college and built it up to 20 plus guys in a short period of time - we did condo complexes, homes and estates. I learned alot, made some money and did the college thing too. None of us were born with all the answers, I still learn every day. Do your lawn thing, continue with an education, buy your uncle's truck, and do and accomplish more than even you think you are capable of doing.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSet N' Grade
Wizzkid....I've been doin' this kinda stuff for a long time. If this is what you want to do right now, go for it and don't even give an ear to the negative stuff you may hear. I started my first landscape company in California while going to junior college and built it up to 20 plus guys in a short period of time - we did condo complexes, homes and estates. I learned alot, made some money and did the college thing too. None of us were born with all the answers, I still learn every day. Do your lawn thing, continue with an education, buy your uncle's truck, and do and accomplish more than even you think you are capable of doing.
Well said! I did the same thing through college. Man was that a busy time. I learned a lot from just going to seminars & trade shows. It also pays to go to your local equipment suppliers, they know their stuff & like to talk about it.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for that comment. I don't let negativity get me down, and when people talk bad about me and my work and my grades in school, I don't and never will let it bother me. I love doing what I'm doing. I learn a lot as I go. I experiment. If I need answers I got them. I have a plan on what I want to do. That is be a meterologist. I also thought about starting my own trucking company. And continue doing lawn mowing. Who knows.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck! You're sure as hell going to need it!
Old 11-28-2006, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yah, I am, I don't think my parents will want to pay for my sucess, or else they may want some of my money. And I don't give people my money, except for new lawn equipment, and the local redneck walmart.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I fill your pain! I wish I had a $1.00 for every $100.00 I've spent at Lowes or Wal-mart!
Old 11-28-2006, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wouldn't that be great.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

hey man
i'm 18 years old and been doing this for about 5 years now...dont let them other ass holes tell u dont know what the **** u doin and dont know how to run a business cuz they just dont want u to do it because in their mind u takin their business. dont let someone like that ruin ur ideas if u wanna cut grass and do landscaping the rest of ur life go to school and do it. i live in Louisiana and there is a **** load of lawn services down here...it seems like everyone is cuttin grass, some people do great other dont...i'd have to say for being 18 years old and bringing in around 31K im doing pretty good...i worked my ass off for it and im really happy about it, along the way many people told me the same as they told u...u 2 young and have no clue what ur doing and cant run a business etc..dont listen to them im fully insured and licensed and everything else u can imagine...just the insurance is like 10 times more than everyone else lol

if what your doing makes customers happy and gets you business and ur doing everything legal then keep it up ur gonna do great!
Old 12-01-2006, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

GO FOR IT KID.... Where else is an 18 yr old kid gonna make a grand a week. When I was your age I was making $300 a week. If you have any people skills at all and can manage money you will do fine in this business. Most people can run a 1 or 2 man operation fine. If you want to get bigger than that, then you should really read up on it extensively or take some part time business classes.
Closed Thread