Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I admire all he young people out there that are working hard and have plans for their future,(that's rare now a days)but I just have some issues here to clarify, BEING IN THE GREEN INDUSTRY and BEING IN THE GREEN INDUSTRY BUSINESS is different, I say this because I've heared people saying they're just 17yrs old and in the business for 4 yrs, some would say 18 and in there for 5. c'mon people that makes you what 13 yrs old? I don't even think you will be given a business license nor a driver's license at that age.
some would say been doing this for five years, ( i would assume that's cutting grasses) heck yeah! most of us here I guess has been doing that since we were 8 0r 10 yrs old when our Dad would teach us how to do it so he can keep his ass in the couch and watch the ballgame.
Bottom line is we're to help each other not to make a broad statement about our selves, you might hear people ask the most absurd questions out there but that doesn't mean they don't know nothing, they might just wanna compare their ideas from others or they stumble on a situation unfamiliar with.
let's BE REAL!!and whatever that is your striving for, GO FOR IT!!!
Old 12-01-2006, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wizkid keep it up good luck in your buisness you have to start somewhere
and believe me you will learn from your mistakes and grow. Kick some grass.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I very rarely run a 2 person job. I want all the money for my self.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

As a dedicated "Turf Fan' & with expierence especially in Golf Greens i know many people under the age of 18 that not only work but own their own biz. Theres a 15 year old i know, who lives nearby who has his own putting green (same for me) & maintains it above standards working on it at least 1 1/2 hrs day plus double that on weekends. He has a 700 sq ft green that can go close to matching high end country club greens & even beats my local courses green. 15 years old! He was inspired by this site - http://www.kinipela.ca/green.html

I used this site as guide 1 1/2 years ago for the construction of my 500 sq ft green! Anyone with knowledge & dedication can go far especially in the lawn biz, dont be so hard on those younger fellows, even i was like that!
Old 12-16-2006, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

edited this language and talk will not be tolerated here.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't cut my grass for my parents and get paid for it, I do it because I want to, and I know how to run a "legit" buisiness. And by the sounds of you it sounds like you are just 16 or 17 years old and don't have any people skills. And what's wrong with an avalanche? At least I have decent equipment.

2008 GMC 1500 SLE 4x4 Z71 Ext. Cab
2001 Ford Focus
I retired from mowing lawns
Old 12-16-2006, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryk17
edited this language and talk will not be tolerated here.
Good first post
Old 12-16-2006, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzkid316
Hey how's everybody. I'm 17 years old, 18 December 29th. I started about 4 years ago cutting grass for other people. But I was on my dads tractor long before that. I started off with a 1984 John Deere. I got my first job at the local VFW. And I still do today. And it started off from there. People let me use their stuff here and there. My great uncle who passed away (finnally) bought me a commercial weed trimmer. Then he said I could have his commercial edger as long as I worked it off. So when people seen me doing it I got more and more jobs. I did loose a few, but what the heck. Then when my uncle got his leg cut off, I took his handheld blower. He gave me his 2 push mowers. I bought my self a top of the line stihl BP Blower BR 420 magnum. Then just this past year, Stihl came out with brand new BR 600. So I traded mine in for that. Then in September I bought my self a 2006 simplicity Regency. 24hp 50" deck. I use our old 1996 mini van and my uncles 6x12 landscaping trailer. It works Ok, I don't want to use my 03 avalanche and get it beet up. So I think I'm going to trade in my van for a 96 3/4 ton chevy from my uncle. Plus my avalanche and my dads Hummer H2 won't hold a lot of stuff in the back. So I think I'm off to a pretty good start, I am going in partnership with a person loosing his job after about 30 years of working at one place. He has more equipment, so I look forward to that. What do you guys think.

That's pretty funny. You aren't serious are you?
Old 12-16-2006, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

this is turning into one of those redneck lawn ventures. This same guy was asking about putting a plow on an h2 over on plowsite. ditch the minivan and the simplicity. by some real equipment, and move out of your parents house.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yah that was me on the plow site, and what are you talking about, move out of my parents house. If I moved out, they wouldn't know what to do, My dad doesn't know how to do everything in the house, he is always asking me how to do things, but he can always learn, but hey, free room and board. And as for the simplicity thing, I wanted to start a little smaller and cheeper.

2008 GMC 1500 SLE 4x4 Z71 Ext. Cab
2001 Ford Focus
I retired from mowing lawns
Closed Thread