Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Member

More power to you! Check the country club and see if they have an opening for Golf Course Superintendent. I was reading something just recently somewhere about the head super at a country club in Texas who started off when he was 11. The funny thing about the article is that it listed about 200 different skill requirements to get to where he is today...

I'll have to find the article next time I'm in my "other office" cuz the list is laughably long.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Umm, I didn't want to spend $5,000 on a new walk behind, I could have spend $3500 for a little 32" exmark, but thats too small, and I like sitting down, because I do big lawns. And I'm getting a truck in march. Now that I can afford it. And I know what looks retarted, there is one lady that does lawn cutting with her husband sometimes, they have a old beat down truck, with an old snapper, a toro t-bar, an old walk behind blower, and old trimmer, and old back pack blower probly as old as they are. Now that looks ******edly redneck.

2008 GMC 1500 SLE 4x4 Z71 Ext. Cab
2001 Ford Focus
I retired from mowing lawns

Last edited by AndyTblc; 12-22-2006 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Member

ug, i wish my parents would buy me a truck/equipment. Funny thing is, most people dont believe that I alone have paid for EVERYTHING.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizonmowing
ug, i wish my parents would buy me a truck/equipment. Funny thing is, most people dont believe that I alone have paid for EVERYTHING.
If your parents pay for your equipment then you wouldn't have "built your own business" and you would be far less proud of yourself. Good job for staying committed.

We built our business with a $10,000 loan, $60.00 in flyers, and a lot of hard work. It pays off in the end.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They bought me an avalanche, that is my everyday to school and joy riding vehicle. I'm buying my own work truck with my own money, I bought my tractor with my own money, and my back-pack blower. I inherited an edger, weed trimmer, and 2 push mowers. I got that when my great uncle died. Anything that has to do with lawn mowing stuff, I pretty much buy what ever more I need. But my parents do buy my gas some times so I can cut the grass here at my house, but other then that I pretty much pay for my self.

2001 Ford Focus
Old 12-22-2006, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzkid316
Well I do it for fun, it is what I like to do, and it gives me even more money in my pocket.
But you can't pay for gas! Hows that work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzkid316
I cut around wayland, dorr, moline, and gun lake. I have 9 everyweek accounts but I always end up doing about 15-20 each week, because either a neighbor wants his cut, or one of my other accounts gives people my number, and the place where I got my tractor is giving people my number. so I get new accounts almost every 4 weeks.
So in 4 years you have only accumulated 9 clients. What that, 2 clients a year! Your off to a great start
Old 12-22-2006, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

9 perminent, but every week I end up doing more then that. I just got a few calls the other day saying that want me to come and look at their lawn. And I'm still in school so I don't want lawn mowing to interfier with my school work and my personal life. And what do you mean how does that work, I don't pay for gas. Of course I pay for gas, I pay for all my equipment, not my vehicles. So is there anything else that you would like me to repeat again?

2001 Ford Focus
Old 12-27-2006, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

The LIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLawn View Post
I'll have to find the article next time I'm in my "other office" cuz the list is laughably long.
Found the list in my truck today. Here it is... also found at http://www.clubandresortbusiness.com/article/240

Ready... hold your breath and read this...

Today's golf course superintendent must possess a certain amount of knowledge and expertise in the following subject areas:

Accounting
Agronomy
Aquatic plant management
Arboriculture
Basic contract law
Budgeting
Business management
Community relations
Computers
Drainage
Electrical
Engineering
Entomology
Equipment repair
Environmental compliance
Facility maintenance
Financial
Genetics
Golf course operation
Golf course renovation
Golf course set-up
Golf issues
Government relations
Hazard communication
Horticulture
Hydrology
Integrated pest management
Inventory management
Irrigation
Irrigation repair
Labor relations
Landscaping
Long-range planning
Management
Master planning
Metereology
Microbiology
Mower adjustment
New equipment evaluation
Rules of golf
Personnel management
Photography
Plant nutrition
Plant pathology
Plant physiology
Playability issues
Play of the game of golf
Public relations
Pump station technology
Purchasing
Soil chemistry
Soil physics
Soil sample interpretations
Surveying
Technical information interpretation
Tournament preparation
Water chemistry
Water quality
Weed science
Wetlands
Wildlife management
Worker safety (OSHA)

GASP!
Old 12-28-2006, 05:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cutting grass looks like great money at 18, but in the whole scheme of life, it sucks. I did it for 6 years, made some money, then got out. I was doing lawns for $30 that guys would come in and do for $15. Can't compete with the illegals around here. I understand that there are parts of the US where the really big guys do very well and are paid for their knowledge and expertise. But, you have to be damn smart to get where most of those guys are. Cutting grass gets really old after a while, I just couldn't see myself in this business when I'm 40.

I got into excavation after I quit lawncare. Investment is greater, risk is greater, but $1,000 a day sure beats the pants off cutting grass. Go get an education, don't stick around after you graduate high school to cut grass. I didn't and it was the best decision I ever made. However, I agree if you're not the type to go on for a college education, cutting grass is probably better off than working at a grocery chain or something like that making maybe 10 bucks an hour or less. But, an education is your best bet unless you get into a field that is fairly skill oriented. Let's face it guys, mowing is not complicated, just about anyone can get into the business and put up a fight against you. Excavation is kinda the same way, only the guys that suck usually don't get called, they get themselves killed, screw something up and get sued, or simply accumulate massive amounts of financial distress. When the stakes are higher, it keeps the morons out.

Go hard, go fast, or go home

Last edited by Scag48; 12-28-2006 at 05:15 AM.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You seem first class. If I was a millionare with a delicate lawn, I would certainly hire you....
Closed Thread