Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2000, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

has anyone ever bought a mower from Alamia.com ......i can get a 36in t-bar toro with 12.5 kawi...delivered to my door for 2,100 and the cheapest i found it in town for was 2,425 with tax......the ones online have no tax......they have all most all brands and by far cheaper than any i have seen in dealers.<p>thanks scott
Old 03-17-2000, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

one of the biggest problems with buying mowers online,if they break the dealer in your area will fix it at his convinence,I have seen this in outboard motors,commercial<br>fisherman use to by them cheaper from NY and when they broke the dealer would say put it in the back of the line as he fixed the engines he sold first
Old 03-17-2000, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You're absolutely correct. You have to be prepared to run it for 1 year and then sell it. Hopefully the money you saved on purchase and lack of sales tax will allow you to sell it at a small loss and you can repeat the process the next year.
Old 03-17-2000, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you live in a state that charges sales tax, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT TAX EVEN IF THE ONLINE CO DOESNT CHARGE YOU.
Old 03-17-2000, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Amen, Plowking. It's not just a sales tax, it's a sales and use tax: the user is being taxed. Ever notice the line on your state tax form for taxes on out-of-state purchases? Now I've never been hit up by tax boys because I don't report my Reader's Digest subscription, but if you're in any business and not reporting and paying use taxes, if the state tax office looks at you once, you're gonna be nailed good, and then be audited every other year after that. Not worth the hassle for a few hundred bucks a year.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana
Old 03-17-2000, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

<p>There is NO sales tax due if you order from a company out of your home state and that purchase is trucked-in using a common carrier.<p>If you drive to pick it up, you pay state sales tax in the state where you purchased it.<p>If the dealer delivers a machine to you from out of state, you pay the tax.<p>Don't take my word for it. Ask your accountant.
Old 03-17-2000, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The state of conn will love to talk to anyone that does that. they have a whole dept that just tracks online and phone purchases to residents and to track lost tax revenue.Now I really dont care one way or the other, whether or not you pay that tax. I just wanted to,let you know that it may not be the sweet deal you think it is.<br>Also if you dont claim th tax you might be labeled a low baller who doesnt claim all his overhead.<br>Doesnt Phil have a book or at least a chapter about online purchases?<br>
Old 03-17-2000, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I am involved in a new program that supplies internet sales. I think its a great deal. It doesn't involve lawn equipment at this time but in the future I can see a big market in this field. <p>The company sells the product to potential customer and then I prepare and deliver the item. I am paid by the company that takes the order. I think this is great since the customer is already sold on the item before I even talk to them. <p>If I do my job, and deliver a product to their door along with service and knowledge of the item, where can I go wrong. <p>Internet dealer now and in the future.<p>Tell the glamor sites what you want, they will listen.<p>Thanks for you time. <br>Sweetie5<p>----------<br>Sweetie5-GrassMasters Wife: www.lawnservicing.com<br>New Start Up Page:www.lawnserevicing.com/startup/
Old 03-18-2000, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Plowking has it right, in CT it doesnt matter where you bought it, if you didnt pay at least 6 per cent tax where you bought it you owe the state the difference, no ifs ands or buts, that goes for everybody not just business. And if you have a business in this state they WILL find out about it, when you declare it the first year you also have to declare it to the local assessor, they will see receipt for original value, if its from out of state thats when the questions start. Failure to pay is a $50 penalty plus the tax due plus an extra 25% for their trouble. You pay it with your monthly or quarterly sales tax filing.<p>The folks that run this state arent always too hip on things, so it would be safe to assume that other states with sales and use tax are even more a stickler for collecting than good ol CT.<p>Bill
Old 03-18-2000, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

IC 6-2.5-3-2<br> Sec. 2. (a) An excise tax, known as the use tax, is imposed on the storage, use, or consumption of tangible personal property in Indiana if the property was acquired in a retail transaction, regardless of the location of that transaction or of the retail merchant making that transaction.<p>My granddaughter is 10 years old. She just read this and agreed that if she bought something in Mexico and brought it home, she owed use tax on it. Nothing too complicated about it. (Exception is made later in code if tax was paid at point of purchase.) Not a word in statute about how it's delivered.<p>If someone claims you don't owe a use tax, is that someone ready to pay your tax, penalties and interest if he is wrong?<br><p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana