Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-24-2006, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Grasshopper Mid vs. Exmark Mid

Hi, everyone. I am looking for feedback from anyone who has run both the Exmark and Grasshopper midmounts. I have searched all of the posts so far and have formed my own opinion, but I am looking specifically for anyone who has experience with both machines. I am currently a longtime GH dealer, but I have found out that one of the other local dealers is dropping the Exmark line. I personally think the Exmark line is topnotch from what I have seen, but I would like any of your opinions - trying to evaluate how I would market both brands under one location. I appreciate any current realworld experience you guys may have to share.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have demoed both of those units. In this area I would go with exmark better support. Otherwise they seem pretty much a wash.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not a huge Exmark fan. I've demoed them and I bought the GH. Exmarks are over-rated IMO.
7'x18' Custom Open Trailer
7'x12' Big Tex Open Trailer
8.5'x24' King American Enclosed
2006 Grasshopper 928D 61" (4,700 hrs!! )
2011 Grasshopper 930D
2005 JD 737 60"
Snapper 21" Hi-Vac Commercial
Lawnboy 21" Duraforce x2
Shindaiwa: T2500 | T231 | T242 | LE261 | EB630RT | 488 | DH2510 | RS76S
Tanaka: TBC-255PF | TBC-280PF | TPH-270PF
Fisher 8'6" Extreme V SS
Old 11-25-2006, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLM-1
I'm not a huge Exmark fan. I've demoed them and I bought the GH. Exmarks are over-rated IMO.
As someone who has used Grasshopper, eXmark and others, I'd have to agree.

Picking up eXmark might be good for your sales, might not. eXmark kinda screwed up for the 2006 season and had some sub-par cutting machines out there. So that ticked a lot of people off. You might want to ask the other dealer why he is dropping the line. My guess is it's due to that... or due to eXmark dropping him. I've heard of situations where dealers lost the line over adding another brand. Don't know if that's true or not....

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 11-25-2006, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

I myself recently purchased a Grasshopper 428D and so far love it. I did demo a new exmark and honestly liked the Grasshopper over it. Saying that the area that I live in exmarks have saturated the place. Exmark dealer support is great and their name is synonymous for making great cutting and well built machines.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Both great mowers. I'd give Exmark the edge on decks exept the 2006 year. I have used both and have friends that still do and the Grasshopper will clog a bit easier in our grasses and doesn't do as well with crab grass. The Grasshopper is much more comfortable with the low air filled tires, has much better head light placement, the seat is isolated plus they seem to have a great new suspension seat. I have seen many of the diesels go close to 5000 hrs at least. Grasshopper definately has the edge in the diesel line up. The Exmark may handle a bit better, probably does have better support. I personally think the color scheme and styling of the Grasshopper probably does not help sales. That sounds stupid but the looks of a mower make sales sometimes. One bad deck year on Exmark shouldn't make a dealer abondon them. They are definately on the ball and plan to stay at top in sales. When I was at the Expo I am not exagerating when I say that Exmark probably had 10 times the interest in the outdoor display as Grasshopper. Alot due to the fact Grasshopper didn''t try too hard. They just set a few mowers out, no test area. So from a sale perspective, Exmark wins. The are #1 in sales and I see no end in sight. Grasshopper is a great mower that needs more promotion.

Last edited by tacoma200; 11-25-2006 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally I think they are both overated. But if I had to choose I would go with the exmark simply because of past use better dealer support here anyhow. And I just do not see any grasshoppers used commercially here. I have demoed the hopper and it is a decent machine. Dealer support will be your most critcal thing to consider!
Old 11-25-2006, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Funny I think the Grasshoppers are "underated". They are more popular than Exmark here and they have niche markets in different parts of the country. They were voted 2nd ugliest mower in a poll a while back so I don't know how much lower you could get rated? I have seen more 5000 hr Grasshoppers than about any other comercial mower but that's just my experince and I'm pretty much an Exmark fan.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma200
Grasshopper is a great mower that needs more promotion.
This is dead true for GH and I think the reason why I my self when over to Exmark even thou the GH has GREAT support in my area (they have a factory here).
I have a GH 218 (which I'm selling to go larger) and it has its pro's and cons.
1, The controls I like offer the Exmark
2, The GH is lighter and didn't tare the Sh12t out of turf like this Lazer HP is

But GH in tall or wet grass while mulching will clogs AND clump way faster then my Exmark Triton (with updated BTS ) will any day.
And I think with the update to the Triton deck it cut a better finish.

JMO
Gil
1M/1M Liability INS, Limited landscape Cert (Round-up)/Landscape Contactor (first of the year)
Full Maintenance, Design/Install, Tree/Palm Maintenance
Old 11-25-2006, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Member

One thing that I think Exmark has that is beneficial to the dealer is the fact that they have a wide variety of machine (W/B, ZT's, small bagger machine, etc.). Exmark's have not gone over as well as I would have thought in the immediate area - maybe due to the dealer. Go over one county where another dealer is at and they definitely own the market share.

To me, it seems like the Exmark is tailored (or at least the marketing) to the commercial market (messages like "built for professional market" "increase productivity and profitability"). Look on their website and that is the message you see. GH website and marketing materials promote the "creature comforts" and ride of the machine - to me directed towards a homeowner, or possibly a owner/operator. I think marketing plays a large role on how each machine is perceived, whether it be correct or not.