Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-26-2006, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echomaniac
The Extreme was the model, I have been looking at.
I figured with the hp and a name like that it would have to be there best. lol
I think I'm going to check out the Hustlers, before I buy the Bobcat.
You better check the cut on the Hustler,I mow Bahai in FL and that was what it was designed for and it works great for that but alot of people have complained about the cut.

I can tell you the rest of the machine is by far the best rider I have owned. They are limited in HP at the moment but the machine is so smooth, tough and easy to work on that I would not consider anything else at the moment. My dealer sell Dixie and I just look at the way they are designed compared to the Hustler and laugh, and the mechanics laughed with me but for them it is no joking matter they have to deal with the contaquerousness of the machine. Don't get me wrong it is a good machine but once you see how easy a Hustler is to work on and maintain you really will think 2 or 3 times about another brand!
Old 11-26-2006, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hustler might be a good mower? I cannot comment because there is only one dealer near me that sells them and it is a small, very small operation that can not handle my needs. As far as Dixie's are concerned I say I can give a good assessment on the durability and productivity of the mowers. You and your dealer can laugh all you want I will stick to a mower that to me is made simple and tough and has for me great dealer support.
Show me some hour meters with 2000+ on your hustlers with no problems, 4-5 different operators and then you have a mower that really makes you money.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLANDS
Hustler might be a good mower? I cannot comment because there is only one dealer near me that sells them and it is a small, very small operation that can not handle my needs. As far as Dixie's are concerned I say I can give a good assessment on the durability and productivity of the mowers. You and your dealer can laugh all you want I will stick to a mower that to me is made simple and tough and has for me great dealer support.
Show me some hour meters with 2000+ on your hustlers with no problems, 4-5 different operators and then you have a mower that really makes you money.
I do not know of a mower that will go for 2000 hours with no problems do you? I do not know how well the new dixie decks are made but I can tell you I would have already been under the mower beating the deck out on the dixies I have used. We run into stumps n rocks going 10 to 15 MPH on the Hustler and it does not fase the machine at all, toughest deck I have used to date. My guys pound these mowers and all my other mowers have big dents in the front of the deck except the Hustler and it takes the biggest impacts of all the machines I own.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I couldn't agree more...

When the ignorant rule, civilization is brought down to their level...
Old 11-26-2006, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALSLOW
I do not know of a mower that will go for 2000 hours with no problems do you? I do not know how well the new dixie decks are made but I can tell you I would have already been under the mower beating the deck out on the dixies I have used. We run into stumps n rocks going 10 to 15 MPH on the Hustler and it does not fase the machine at all, toughest deck I have used to date. My guys pound these mowers and all my other mowers have big dents in the front of the deck except the Hustler and it takes the biggest impacts of all the machines I own.
If my guys would hit a stump at 10mph they would fly out of the seat and into another job....lol
Old 11-26-2006, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I do not know of a mower that will go for 2000 hours with no problems do you? I do not know how well the new dixie decks are .
Yes I do and that is why I use them
Old 11-26-2006, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yes I do and that is why I use them
They all pretty much use similar pumps and wheel motors and the same engines so alot of these machines are very similar but some are of a cleaner design
and put more beef where you need it.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
You better check the cut on the Hustler,I mow Bahai in FL and that was what it was designed for and it works great for that but alot of people have complained about the cut.

I can tell you the rest of the machine is by far the best rider I have owned. They are limited in HP at the moment but the machine is so smooth, tough and easy to work on that I would not consider anything else at the moment. My dealer sell Dixie and I just look at the way they are designed compared to the Hustler and laugh, and the mechanics laughed with me but for them it is no joking matter they have to deal with the contaquerousness of the machine. Don't get me wrong it is a good machine but once you see how easy a Hustler is to work on and maintain you really will think 2 or 3 times about another brand!

Bahia, in the Florida rain and the hustler, (not trying to go off topic) but how dose the hustler handle over grown or tall bahia grass.
I have been looking at Dixie to handle my large and possible overgrown property's but now my dealer is selling hustler and they look like alot better of a mower then the Dixie.
Your in FL so tell me can they handle bahia like they say and show in they web site?? whats the cut quality like?

I have used a Dixie, I liked it but there were to meany times that I felt like I was going to fall off the mower but it sher did cut some grass and I mean fast to.
1M/1M Liability INS, Limited landscape Cert (Round-up)/Landscape Contactor (first of the year)
Full Maintenance, Design/Install, Tree/Palm Maintenance
Old 11-27-2006, 04:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
They all pretty much use similar pumps and wheel motors and the same engines so alot of these machines are very similar but some are of a cleaner design and put more beef where you need it.
Dixie may use a similar pump and wheel motor but that is where the similarity stops. Dixie uses a quad loop hydro system that is extremely tough and durable. Normally this type of system is only found on much higher horsepower applications and it does cost more to produce but Art Evans wanted a hydro system that would hold up over the long haul and the quad loop does it.

There are many, many Dixies running around out there with far in excess of 2,000 hours that have had very few repairs. A guy who used to be a member here until he passed away made it a regular habit to run his past 4,000 hours.

There will, of course, be the ocassional lemon but the huge majority of Dixies are owned by very happy people who get a whole lot of trouble free hours from their mowers.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just want to add a little about those engines. Everytime you look at a Kohler engine and see that little engine oil cooler above the oil filter you can thank Dixie for it. Dixie started putting a remote mounted engine oil cooler on their engines a long time ago. Kohler took notice when they saw Dixies getting long hours out of their engines and decided it would be a good idea to add a cooler from the factory.