Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-24-2006, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawn Forums Busier Because Lawn Guys Need More Help

On various forum sites, I find it interesting to see how many members are online and how many visitors. Usually 3 times more visitors.

The other part, is where in the forums the most users are located. In Lawn Site, there are about 8 times more, or 800% more in the Lawn Mowing Section than in the Landscpaping section.

Maybe more guys mow lawns. But another idea came to mind - at least it's very applicable here in Oregon.

Oregon landscapers must pass tests, and many more landscape contractors have been to college, and have more experience than lawn mowing outfits.

That means that the landscape contractors - typically - have more knowledge and resources, and don't need quite as much assistance.

Whereas the mowing guys, have less, and would be landscape contractors if they had the extra education.

Not sure about your area, but in Oregon, that's fairly accurate.

There are several landscapers here that also provide lawn care, although their lawn employees are typically entry-level to minimal education except for supervisor / crew leader types.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 11-24-2006, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I can think of one guy who "needs more help" with his grammar.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dunno, I think mdvaden makes some good points. I can safely say that there are more guys who mow rather than actual landscape design and build. So since there are more people in that industry, it would make more sense that there is more activity in the mowing forum.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by procut
I dunno, I think mdvaden makes some good points. I can safely say that there are more guys who mow rather than actual landscape design and build. So since there are more people in that industry, it would make more sense that there is more activity in the mowing forum.
There is one thing that's apparent, though, about the lawn forum - many of the questions deal with equipment and not horticulture.

On the other hand, there is equipment used in landscaping too.

But the proportionate difference between forums is notable.

Also, in Lawnsite in general, there is 1 registered user for about 4 visitors on the site - if 50 registered, then 200 visitors. That's 1 in 5.

On Arboristsite, there was about 1 registered user for every 3 visitors.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 11-25-2006, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mr. Vadens post sounds more like a carefully worded rip on lco's. The only point I can deduce from his associating this post with education, is egotism. What, exactly, was meant by "need help"?
Old 11-25-2006, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think its just simple numbers. More guys who do maintenance than landscaping. If someone has a degree or something I would say they would be more likly to come to a forum because the internet is a great place to let everyone know how great you think you are.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

vaden..

looks like you touched a nerve...

i agree with you. There is far less experience in general with mowing operators than with landscape contractors. there is a lot less investment and experience necessary to start a mowing company than an landscape construction company. Therefore there is a lot more competetion in the mowing area.

also i'll bet the average age of the guys in the mowing sections is about 21 at the most. There are a lot that are still teenagers.

this is in no way a crack on mowers. That's how i started...and that's how a lot of the landscape contractor began as well.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 11-25-2006, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Turflord, it is because "We's lawn cutters are more dumber than those edumacated folk". Just kidding, I'm assuming that all of the guys here that cut grass are being referred as uneductated goobers. I'd just like to point out that when someone has to remind others how educated they are, they normally are quite ignorant and feel insecure about their own short comings.

Yard Pro, if we are talking about guys who mow lawns, you may be correct about the average age but if you meant legitamate LCO's, I think the average age is much higher. For many people, especially younger guys, cutting grass is a stop gap until something better comes along. I think there are way more people on this site who just do it to make a few bucks rather than the big guys who make a living doing it.

It is good that there are some type of requirements to become established in OR. It likely cuts down on the fly by night operations. The bottom line is, if you are good at what you do, you will get good business.

Last edited by Grass Kickin; 11-25-2006 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Member

It is baffling to me that Vaden made that statement and actually thought it was intelligent speak. Based on the fact that nobody here, with the exception of him, has revealed their qualifications, degrees, education or experience, it is a very wobbly statement at best. I certainly do not believe on showing everyone your cards and I'd guess that many of us do not feel the need to let everyone know our qualifications, that said it would be extremely difficult to qualify the original statement that essentially was Contractors are smarter than LCO guys.

I guess one could look at this as the gentlemen who focus on lawn work are more willing to share and give help as opposed to the contractors who don't offer help? Sorry, just don't understand the logic there.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

my turn for the soap box

MDVaden is not the only one one here who chooses to reveal than HIDE. Granted, those that do may have ego's to stroke, or they just believe that revealing info about your company/self will help others better understand your answers, or allow others to seek you out in search of info/help/work outside of the forum.

I enjoy facts, and running numbers and have noticed the ratio of visitors too. I wish one couldn't visit though, whats so hard about participating. I think hiding behind a screen name is worse than calling it as you see it.

The truth hurts sometimes, and the fact is where there is no barrier-to-entry, competition will be fierce, the education level and age may be lower, and business practices may not always be up to spec.

BUT calling MDVaden unintelligent because he made a comment on something he has noticed is, well, weird?

www.greenmountainlandscape.com